The Student Room Group

Help needed for telephone interview for a McLaren internship, please!

Hiya,

I've just been told I'll be having a telephone interview for the McLaren summer internship. I was wondering if any of you have ever had an interview with McLaren and what I can expect. I've not been told very much at all, so I'd appreciate anything to help!

Scroll to see replies

Haven't had an interview with McLaren but have been through the telephone interview process for about 3 companies. This website sums up everything you need to know pretty well: http://targetjobs.co.uk/careers-advice/interview-techniques/273645-how-to-handle-a-telephone-interview.

Avoid using examples you have already used on your application form where you can- one of companies specified this in the invitation email.

For me, it helps to have a piece of paper in front of you with every project, extra curricular activity, work experience, anything that can demonstrate the usual desired skillset (time-management, leadership, communication, influencing, team-work etc.) that way when you get a question and your mind goes completely blank you've got something to refer to.

Make sure you have an answer for 'tell me about yourself...' prepared. I was asked that at all three telephone interviews and is one of the more difficult questions to answer spontaneously.
Original post by nikita_atikin
Hiya,

I've just been told I'll be having a telephone interview for the McLaren summer internship. I was wondering if any of you have ever had an interview with McLaren and what I can expect. I've not been told very much at all, so I'd appreciate anything to help!

Original post by theengineer1
Haven't had an interview with McLaren but have been through the telephone interview process for about 3 companies. This website sums up everything you need to know pretty well: http://targetjobs.co.uk/careers-advice/interview-techniques/273645-how-to-handle-a-telephone-interview.

Avoid using examples you have already used on your application form where you can- one of companies specified this in the invitation email.

For me, it helps to have a piece of paper in front of you with every project, extra curricular activity, work experience, anything that can demonstrate the usual desired skillset (time-management, leadership, communication, influencing, team-work etc.) that way when you get a question and your mind goes completely blank you've got something to refer to.

Make sure you have an answer for 'tell me about yourself...' prepared. I was asked that at all three telephone interviews and is one of the more difficult questions to answer spontaneously.

Hello, firstly good luck and hope this isn't late if you've had it!

One thing they'll ask besides confirming your application, and the talking about yourself and outlining interest in what you've mentioned in your application, they'll also ask what interests you in the company and why you want to work with the company.
Reply 3
You are so lucky they gave you notice,

I came out of lectures a few weeks ago to them calling me telling me that I had to my telephone interview on the spot, worst experience of my life! I don't know if i can post specific questions on the forums but PM me if you wish.

JCarver.
Reply 4
Original post by JCarver

I came out of lectures a few weeks ago to them calling me telling me that I had to my telephone interview on the spot, worst experience of my life! I don't know if i can post specific questions on the forums but PM me if you wish.

JCarver.

Wow did McLaren do that? Must have been incredibly nervous since it was so random.
Reply 5
Original post by a10
Wow did McLaren do that? Must have been incredibly nervous since it was so random.

Yeah McLaren, like i said a very horrible experience, very weird them not prompting me with any sort of email / telephone prior. Haven't heard back from them yet but i'm assuming I have been unsuccessful.
Reply 6
Original post by JCarver
Yeah McLaren, like i said a very horrible experience, very weird them not prompting me with any sort of email / telephone prior. Haven't heard back from them yet but i'm assuming I have been unsuccessful.

Which discipline are you studying? I am guessing you're in year 2 since as you applying for the industrial placement?
Reply 7
Original post by JCarver

I'm in the same boat as you, my friend! I was even in a lecture when they called me, had to make a sneaky exit and answer the questions. As for how they conducted their interviews, I'm not sure if this is common practice as this is the first internship I've received a callback on, but it was a separate company conducting the interview, not McLaren themselves, and all they did was take notes of your answers and put them against "the perfect candidate" that McLaren supplied them with.

I called up this company again, and found out that the next step would be McLaren calling personally, and that the call would come in the new year.

Don't know if they haven't called yet or I've not been unsuccessful! Keeping my fingers crossed until I hear of someone who has been accepted :^_^:

Tempted to call up again and find out what is happening, but they did say that the interviews would be conducted end of January/February and so there's still hope!!
Reply 8
Original post by Machoo
I'm in the same boat as you, my friend! I was even in a lecture when they called me, had to make a sneaky exit and answer the questions. As for how they conducted their interviews, I'm not sure if this is common practice as this is the first internship I've received a callback on, but it was a separate company conducting the interview, not McLaren themselves, and all they did was take notes of your answers and put them against "the perfect candidate" that McLaren supplied them with.

I called up this company again, and found out that the next step would be McLaren calling personally, and that the call would come in the new year.

Don't know if they haven't called yet or I've not been unsuccessful! Keeping my fingers crossed until I hear of someone who has been accepted :^_^:

Tempted to call up again and find out what is happening, but they did say that the interviews would be conducted end of January/February and so there's still hope!!

Yep, I did realise that it was a different company acting on behalf of McLaren but I think that the point is still valid, quite a sneaky thing for them to do I think, quite lucky that the OP at least has warning. Did you get asked any technical questions? I got asked only one, rest were comptency. It was something along the lines of what kind of challenges will mclaren face within next 5 years.. loll...

Anyway yeah they did say end of jan/feb will be assessment days so there is definitely still hope :smile:!
Reply 9
Original post by a10
Which discipline are you studying? I am guessing you're in year 2 since as you applying for the industrial placement?

I am studying Mechanical Engineering.

No sir, I am in my third year at the moment but i'm enrolled on an integrated masters course, so I have one more academic year after this current one. I applied for various industrial placements last year but was unsuccessful unfortunately.

JCarver
Reply 10
Original post by JCarver
Yep, I did realise that it was a different company acting on behalf of McLaren but I think that the point is still valid, quite a sneaky thing for them to do I think, quite lucky that the OP at least has warning. Did you get asked any technical questions? I got asked only one, rest were comptency. It was something along the lines of what kind of challenges will mclaren face within next 5 years.. loll...

Anyway yeah they did say end of jan/feb will be assessment days so there is definitely still hope :smile:!

Yeah, to be honest, the girl that called me obviously knew nothing about McLaren or automotive design really. The questions were very generic, and weren't applied to the job that much at all. Same as you though, there was one but apart from that, very generic!
Reply 11
Mhmmm

Best of luck anyway fella hope you manage to find something out there!

JCarver
Reply 12
You too, my friend! Let me know if you hear back :smile:
Reply 13
Any news?
Reply 14
Hi,

I had this on the spot phone interview thing in December and spoke to a bloke a recruiting sub-contractor. He said that i would hear either way if McLaren were going to take the application further but he seemed to think that they would contact me mid/late January...still nothing, hmmmm
Reply 15
I've spoken to someone at my university who completed an internship with McLaren during the summer. He said that he isn't really surprised that they haven't responded yet, and it's probably an issue their end which is holding things up, especially considering no-one has heard back.
Hi Nikita how did your telephone interview go? Hoping it went well. And did any of your guys get the summer internship? I recently filled out the application form which had the deadline of 28th Feb 2014 for summer placement this year. Can anyone please tell me what's next? Is there a on line assessment (with numerical problems) that I should be expecting soon?

Thanks,
Justin Thottappilly
I am struggling with getting a summer placement..............is that normal?!?
Reply 18
Any news?
Reply 19
Hi guys,

I'm reviving this thread because I'm interested in whether you're referring to the university internship or the school work experience programme?

Also, any luck?

Good luck,

Mikey

Original post by nikita_atikin
Hiya,

Original post by theengineer1

Original post by a10

Original post by JCarver

JCarver.

Original post by TheGrinningSkull
Hello, firstly good luck and hope this isn't late if you've had it!

One thing they'll ask besides confirming your application, and the talking about yourself and outlining interest in what you've mentioned in your application, they'll also ask what interests you in the company and why you want to work with the company.

Original post by Machoo

Original post by Laxerman
Hi,

I had this on the spot phone interview thing in December and spoke to a bloke a recruiting sub-contractor. He said that i would hear either way if McLaren were going to take the application further but he seemed to think that they would contact me mid/late January...still nothing, hmmmm

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending