The Student Room Group

Setting off on roundabouts

Ive recently started driving and I only really stall when setting off from a roundabout. I was wondering what most people did clutch/control switch/setting the gas etc when they set off? What is the most effective way and easiest? Thanks in advance =)
Reply 1
That happens to a lot of new drivers and it will go away as you start knowing and feeling the car you're driving a bit better. The only advice I can give is don't rush when setting off. When I used to stall, most times it was because I released the clutch too quickly. And if you're still stalling, before pressing the gas pedal try slowly releasing the clutch untill the car is already moving and then accelerating.
Reply 2
What method do you use to set off? I usually use only the clutch but would it be better to use control switches instead?
Reply 3
Original post by Domk096
Ive recently started driving and I only really stall when setting off from a roundabout. I was wondering what most people did clutch/control switch/setting the gas etc when they set off? What is the most effective way and easiest? Thanks in advance =)

Had a problem with roundabouts until like a month ago when I became test standard. My instructor always used to tell me to approach a roundabout in second gear, a speed at which you'll be in more control. Once you get to the roundabout there are two scenarios. One that there are no cars approaching from the right so you can continue in second gear or that there is and you have to stop. In the latter scenario simply go to first, set the gas and wait for a gap.

It can be pretty awkward and confusing a few times on the big roundabouts which I found but as others have said above you'll only improve over practice.

Another suggestion you could do is simply approach the roundabout at first gear straight away so that you don't have to change gear and set the gas again.

The best way in general to practice clutch control and gear changes is doing up hill starts because you'll need more power to move off without stalling while keeping it steady. Next lesson you have with your instructor, ask if you can do some of that a few times and you'll get more confident - you'll realise that stopping at a roundabout is as simple as stopping at the end of the a road.

Hope this helps :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by Domk096
What method do you use to set off? I usually use only the clutch but would it be better to use control switches instead?

It depends on the type of car I found. I had an instructor using a petrol and found that I had to apply gas just after setting the biting point to get it moving.

However when I changed to my current one, she said that in her diesel there's no need as just finding the biting point (with the brakes off) allows the car to move and at that point you can apply the gas.

Just try and get the feel for your car and it'll be fine. Don't be afraid to go over things you already covered if you're unsure of certain areas.
Reply 5
The clutch is the most important. Release it slowly, and when you feel like your going to stall because you havnt applied enough gas then just fully press the clutch again and you won't stall :biggrin:
Rev til you hit the red line then set off like a whippet.

For maximum respect try to diff round the roundabout...
It depends what car you're driving as to how much gas you need/ when you apply it.
My biggest advice is to approach it really slow while you're still learning as the extra time will allow you to sort yourself out and don't rush yourself, as that's generally when I stall from pulling my clutch up too fast.
Foot all the way down on the clunch and apply a lot of gas, on release you will have a smooth set off.
Reply 9
My approach to an island is fine I get in into gear plenty early and slow the car right down to give myself maximum time, the approach I don't have any problems with, it's the setting off. I think most the stalls come from the pressure of wanting to get away fast due to cars behind me. The car itself is I think a 1.2 litre petrol engine car and the gas is not needed to get it going only releasing the clutch. Thanks for all the help so far it's been really useful to read what other people do =).
Original post by Domk096
My approach to an island is fine I get in into gear plenty early and slow the car right down to give myself maximum time, the approach I don't have any problems with, it's the setting off. I think most the stalls come from the pressure of wanting to get away fast due to cars behind me. The car itself is I think a 1.2 litre petrol engine car and the gas is not needed to get it going only releasing the clutch. Thanks for all the help so far it's been really useful to read what other people do =).

Take your time, there's no rush.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending