The Student Room Group

Should student maintanence loans be judged bases on your parent's income

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by Ruffiio
Master race full student loan and grant and accommodation costs written off so don't have to pay any accommodation because my parents are poor, you jelly? :aetsch:

Very jelly kelly :frown:
Reply 61
Original post by gamerhi
If you're 25 and apply for a mortgage on a house, they won't ask how much your parents earn.

If you're 25 and applying for student finance a funding body won't ask how much your parents earn. Those aged over 25 are independent students.

The result of such a huge expansion in Higher Education over this last generation or so has meant university grants are no longer feasible.

It therefore makes sense to make access to Student Finance wholly, or at least partly, income based.

A student should never feel that they can't afford to got to university. Even once they are at university, but fall into a state of financial distress, there's additional funding such as Access to Learning. The financial support is always there.

There are other ways of gaining a university degree. Do one part-time through distance learning and while in employment. This can actually be quite sensible and far more beneficial for some.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by gamerhi
I totally sympathise with you here. Sometimes it's difficult for parents to give money to there children even when classed as high earners, they should be under no obligation to give you a penny. But the state doesn't provide enough funding to cover accommodation, never mind living expenses. Whereas other students get far more than needed, ending up saving a couple of thousand pounds a year.

I think a better way of working it would be to keep the current maintenance fee system the same but in order to receive grants, extra loans or fee wavers the student would have to prove that they REALLY need the money. This would allow those whose parents don't want to fund them, those in the middle who are struggling and those who are genuinely poor to get the money. It would also stop those who look poor on paper but are actually well off from getting the money. Although it would be awkward work.
Reply 63
Original post by River85
If you're 25 and applying for student finance a funding body won't ask how much your parents earn. Those aged over 25 are independent students.

The result of such a huge expansion in Higher Education over this last generation or so has meant university grants are no longer feasible.

It therefore makes sense to make access to Student Finance wholly, or at least partly, income based.

A student should never feel that they can't afford to got to university. Even once they are at university, but fall into a state of financial distress, there's additional funding such as Access to Learning. The financial support is always there.

There are other ways of gaining a university degree. Do one part-time through distance learning and while in employment. This can actually be quite sensible and far more beneficial for some.

Financial support is there, and I have a few friends who've used temporary loans from there own universities. What I don't like is the fact that the government seems to think that parents are obligated to bank roll there children through university. £3400 pounds isn't enough to pay for my accommodation.

Yes, you can certainly gain many good degrees through long distance learning courses. For my personal situation I don't really have time for a part time job, and can't study my degree any other way. I can work during summer but the funds raised just aren't enough. I think the expansion of higher education wasn't necessarily a good thing. Social mobility is great, but I don't think certain degrees aren't of as much value when compare to others. If we didn't fund as many mickey mouse degrees, we'd have more to invest in other students.
Original post by gamerhi
Academic achievement? Everyone student should be given enough money to live off of, which isn't currently happening, and those who do better should be given more incentives.Someone shouldn't receive far more money than they need because of there parent's personal finances.

There isn't simply enough money to give everybody a decent, fair amount, especially since the government has recently cut finances in education. You can argue that those who achieve better academically can apply for scholarships which help a great deal since some of them reach to around £3000. Many parents, not all, if rich would be willing to contribute to their child's maintenance fees, whereas this isn't possible for those from poorer backgrounds. It makes perfect sense to give those from poorer backgrounds more money, but I agree that the amount of money they may receive is a lot more than needed, and the amount of money given to those from bottom middle class backgrounds is a lot less than needed. The principle makes sense, but the maths is all wrong and inevitably the bottom middle class lose out.
Reply 65
Original post by gamerhi
One of the more ridiculous situations I heard was when a friend of mine, a mature student, was asked how much his partner earns by student finance, in aid of ascertaining the amount of support he should get. That's just ridiculous. Expecting his girlfriend to subsidise his education?

I assume they are living together? If so, what's ridiculous about that? They are in an adult relationship and living together, of course the partner's income should be included. It is household income, after all.

Original post by Psyk

What if you lived with housemates? People you're not in any kind of relationship with, just people you share a house with for financial reasons. I suppose their income would be taken into account.

Only the income of non-dependents will be taken into account. Same if you apply for income-based benefits such as IB JSA or Housing Benefit. The income of a partner is taken into account (if living with that partner) but not the income of joint tenants who are not related.
Reply 66
Original post by gamerhi
Very jelly kelly :frown:

Don't worry I don;t spend it on alcohol because i'm teetotal. I don't buy anything materialistic besides clothes :colondollar:

Unlike someone, (this isn't made up) i know someone on Facebook who posted a picture of their account balance and they go to the same university as me and get full student loans and grants and he is £600 into his overdraft after the first term. I'm nowhere near that, my next loan comes in the upcoming Monday on the 6th and I still have around £240 in my bank left over which I could use for another 2 months or so before running out.

It pisses me off that people can waste money like that. (Even though I did spend £200 in the past two months on clothes but that's because i don't own many clothes, i only have 1 pair of jeans) but i digress. Some people get their loan and waste it all on alcohol. My university is doing a "re-freshers" events going on when everyone comes back and some guy on the freshers page in comment to response to this thought it was funny to post 'it was nice having my student loan for a week' in anticipation of the future.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 67
Original post by thekelzstar
There isn't simply enough money to give everybody a decent, fair amount, especially since the government has recently cut finances in education. You can argue that those who achieve better academically can apply for scholarships which help a great deal since some of them reach to around £3000. Many parents, not all, if rich would be willing to contribute to their child's maintenance fees, whereas this isn't possible for those from poorer backgrounds. It makes perfect sense to give those from poorer backgrounds more money, but I agree that the amount of money they may receive is a lot more than needed, and the amount of money given to those from bottom middle class backgrounds is a lot less than needed. The principle makes sense, but the maths is all wrong and inevitably the bottom middle class lose out.

Just quote to manitude from earlier in the thread:

"By extension to this, universities should be more selective in who they enroll. This would inevitably lead to the closure of some universities and a reduction in the number of people who get degrees. Ultimately it would increase the value of all degrees as something that only academically superior people can achieve. It would discourage people from pursuing higher education when it's not necessarily appropriate for them. As I see it there are too many people enrolling in universities "for the university experience" or because they think it's necessary to have a degree to succeed in life"

Basically this, not everyone needs a degree, if we made our system of higher education leaner, then we'd have enough to give everyone enough to live off of.
Reply 68
Original post by River85
I assume they are living together? If so, what's ridiculous about that? They are in an adult relationship and living together, of course the partner's income should be included. It is household income, after all.

It is clearly ridiculous, why should someone receive less money to fund there own education because there partner earns above a certain threshold. Probably reducing the amount of finance they get to a level at which they can't afford to live without going to there partner. It would be like taxing overall household income in general, rather than the income of an individual.
Reply 69
Original post by Ruffiio
Don't worry I don;t spend it on alcohol because i'm teetotal. I don't buy anything materialistic besides clothes :colondollar:

Unlike someone, (this isn't made up) i know someone on Facebook who posted a picture of their account balance and they go to the same university as me and get full student loans and grants and he is £600 into his overdraft after the first term. I'm nowhere near that, my next loan comes in the upcoming Monday on the 6th and I still have around £240 in my bank left over which I could use for another 2 months or so before running out.

It pisses me off that people can waste money like that. (Even though I did spend £200 in the past two months on clothes but that's because i don't own many clothes, i only have 1 pair of jeans) but i digress. Some people get their loan and waste it all on alcohol. My university is doing a "re-freshers" events going on when everyone comes back and some guy on the freshers page in comment to response to this thought it was funny to post 'it was nice having my student loan for a week' in anticipation of the future.

Exactly, this sort of attitude annoys me. I know people who save a significant proportion of there loan every year, or waste a majority of it on alcohol, and others who's parents are from the lower middle classes who struggle to get food. Everyone should be entitled to get enough to live off of. Regardless of parental income.
Original post by gamerhi
Just quote to manitude from earlier in the thread:

"By extension to this, universities should be more selective in who they enroll. This would inevitably lead to the closure of some universities and a reduction in the number of people who get degrees. Ultimately it would increase the value of all degrees as something that only academically superior people can achieve. It would discourage people from pursuing higher education when it's not necessarily appropriate for them. As I see it there are too many people enrolling in universities "for the university experience" or because they think it's necessary to have a degree to succeed in life"

Basically this, not everyone needs a degree, if we made our system of higher education leaner, then we'd have enough to give everyone enough to live off of.

So basically, you're saying that people should only go to university if they're doing what's considered to be 'tougher' or 'more useful' degrees such as medicine, maths, chemistry...?
Reply 71
Original post by IShootLikeAGirl
totally agree with OP, there really needs to be a more level field to help out the middle earners.
Also here's my situation:
my mum is classed as a high earner and my dad doesn't work as he stays home to care for my handicapped brother. But my household is still classed as high earning. My parents can't afford to give me any money for uni as they have to pay for my brother to go to special school and for his care so I have to dip into my inheritance which will surely be gone when I finish uni, if it lasts that long.

I have little sympathy for people with "an inheritance".

Whereas, my friend is from a single parent household and her mum is a benefits fraud (but unreported).

So report her, then. You might be concerned about the effect it will have on your friend, but she's an adult now.

You aren't going to feel any less bitter. When you graduate you'll be paying tax and NI contributions which will be going straight into her pocket, and the pockets of every other person committing benefit fraud (which, I must emphasise, is only a tiny proportion of total benefit claimants).

Though you might feel bitter, this is only because you're comparing your situation to a quite. Your friend, with the other who's an alleged benefit fraudster, is not typical of the vast majority of families who receive
Reply 72
So basically, you're saying that people should only go to university if they're doing what's considered to be 'tougher' or 'more useful' degrees such as medicine, maths, chemistry...?

I think that the more academic subjects should be taught at universities yes, and those subjects which are more vocational, eg photography, don't necessarily need a degree behind them.
Original post by River85
So report her, then. You might be concerned about the effect it will have on your friend, but she's an adult now.

You aren't going to feel any less bitter. When you graduate you'll be paying tax and NI contributions which will be going straight into her pocket, and the pockets of every other person committing benefit fraud (which, I must emphasise, is only a tiny proportion of total benefit claimants).

Though you might feel bitter, this is only because you're comparing your situation to a quite. Your friend, with the other who's an alleged benefit fraudster, is not typical of the vast majority of families who receive

How do I even report someone? Would she know who reported her? I dunno... I would just feel so guilty (even though she would really deserve to be reported)

and I didn't mean to imply at all that people on benefits are all like this, I was just comparing 2 situations
Original post by gamerhi
I think that the more academic subjects should be taught at universities yes, and those subjects which are more vocational, eg photography, don't necessarily need a degree behind them.

True, but people should be given the option, provided that they are educated properly about their decision.
Reply 75
Original post by Snagprophet
I've never understood why kids in 'richer' households are expected to have their parents pay for them. It would be simple to give them the max loan seeing as it's them who'll pay it back. For poorer students, we have more than enough to live on for university.

Original post by Serentonin
Don't see why they can't just give everyone the full amount. I do 2 12 hour shifts a week to pay my way through uni, my loan doesn't even cover my rent. I'd like to do slightly less proper work and more uni work, but thats the way it's got to be :dontknow:

Because it costs more money, and not everyone will re-pay the entire loan anyway.
Reply 76
True, but people should be given the option, provided that they are educated properly about their decision.

But should government be giving equal funding to someone who studies photography at university as someone who studies nursing?
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 77
Original post by River85
Because it costs more money, and not everyone will re-pay the entire loan anyway.

Then limit university funding to those courses and those people who are more likely to be successful.
I'm in completely the same situation, and couldn't agree more with what you said...

My parents earn slightly over the threshold which means I'm only getting a tiny maintanence grant which covers half of my accommodation for the year. My parents aren't in the position to pay for me, and I definitely wouldn't expect them to either. This means that as well as getting a part time job to pay for living expenses, I'll most likely have to take out a loan to pay off the other half of the accommodation costs that I can't afford.

I understand how government grants are truly beneficial for those who otherwise would feel they could not afford to go to university, but I'm the first in my family to go to uni and I'm dreading the thought of working out how to pay for everything. I'll literally be working every night just so I can eat haha :P
Reply 79
Original post by IShootLikeAGirl
How do I even report someone?

It would be the Department for Work and Pensions/National Benefit Fraud Hotline you'd need to contact by telephone, textphone or post.

Google report benefit fraud. First result is this, for example

https://www.gov.uk/report-benefit-fraud

Would she know who reported her? I dunno... I would just feel so guilty (even though she would really deserve to be reported)

It can be done anonymously. She could only suspect people, but I imagine if she genuinely is committing benefit fraud, and you know about it, then several other people know or suspect.

and I didn't mean to imply at all that people on benefits are all like this, I was just comparing 2 situations

I didn't mean to imply you do think that. I was just being careful, in case someone jumped on me for suggesting benefit fraud is more prevalent than it actually is.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending