The Student Room Group

Cockiest sentence from your personal statement?

Scroll to see replies

I completely hate my PS, it's one of the most important but god-awful things I've ever written, with my first and last sentences being incredibly horribly annoying.

"Until I first went to high school, I was under the illusion that dentistry consisted of only check-ups, advising patients and fillings."
and then "I understand that dental surgery is a highly rewarding and exciting course full of challenges, but I am confident I will learn and prosper from the experiences that are ahead."

Eww.
Something along these lines:

"I believe reading both Machiavelli and Sun Tzu's the art of war allows me to appreciate great military strategy in both eastern and western cultures, which I believe allow me to explain with greater depth modern historical losses such as the Vietnam war".

Hahaha, I read sun tzu, but only 3 chapters of machiavelli.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 42
My cockiest sentence...Well, I won't type it word for word, but I wrote how Roman men could f*** each other and not be labelled as homosexual, while 1700 years of Christian oppression means modern society is still as homophobic as hell.

1. I'm straight
2. It got me into a Uni.
Reply 43
Original post by spiral87
My cockiest sentence...Well, I won't type it word for word, but I wrote how Roman men could f*** each other and not be labelled as homosexual, while 1700 years of Christian oppression means modern society is still as homophobic as hell.

1. I'm straight
2. It got me into a Uni.

Deep.
What were you applying for? :P
Reply 44
Original post by Lialore
Deep.
What were you applying for? :P

History :tongue:

My statement was partly based on how we view morality as linear, but history teaches us we're actually a really prejudiced society and we're hypocrites for seeing ourselves we're the most morally superior people who have ever lived. I also like to dig at religion when possible :cool:
Reply 45
"I could replace you and do a better job".
"Ialso can say with a great deal of confidence that given theopportunity to study at university, I would be a high achieving,popular and active student."
I referenced Anthony Giddens' book the 'The Third Way...' as an example of extra curricular reading I'd done. I think I said something along the lines of 'The overall premise is not without merit but, like communism, his overarching ideology is flawed'

The guy is Emeritus Professor and and former Director of LSE. LSE have invited me to sit their UG admissions test.

I have no idea how I got away with criticising one of the world's foremost sociologists in my PS. I've no idea how I and my tutors read the PS over so many times without anyone saying 'uhhhh, this **** needs to go'. This was only 2 months ago, I look back on now and cringe so hard my face becomes the centre of a blackhole
I spoke at length about Oswald Spengler and philosophy of history. The tutors at Merton (Ox) who interviewed me said it had been very interesting. Didn't work out, though, because I completely neglected to go over it again and kept spacing out during the interview XD

Still, his work is intriguingand visionary one of many topics I would like to discuss withlike-minded people in a scholarly context.Similarly,I have always been most interested in the inner workings of bygoneand current systems, which are a foundation for such speculation.Hence, my reading beyond the coursework included a plethora of workson English, medieval and Napoleonic history, Jaques' and Scheid's“Rome et l'intégration de l'Empire” and Mogens Herman Hansen's“Athenian Democracy in the Age ofDemosthenes”.
Thelatter was partially research for two well-regarded lessons on thePersian Wars' influence on Athenian democracyI taught to my course-mates in year 11. This year, I have furthermoreundertaken to write a 24 pages (twice the maximum length) term paperon “English Constitutional History in the Middle Ages”,which was graded 15 out of 15 points.
Reply 49
"I look forward to the challenge of instilling a love of literacy in a new generation."

This sentence makes me laugh/cringe every time I read it :P

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 50
Dont remind me
"Adaptability, creative thinking and the application of technologically are intrinsic to managing Finance."
Don't even remind me...
Hah don't hate me, but my opening line was 'Please allow me to introduce myself, I am a man of wealth and taste.'

The rest of the PS was equally cocky. It got me in to Oxford and all my choices except Edinburgh (Scottish must not be Stones fans) so I was pretty pleased with it.
I'm unable to link to it, because it's only obtainable online by paying, but there was an article in last week's Sunday Times about the hilarity which ensues in admissions offices as a result of a growing trend for adopting The Apprentice style boasting in personal statements. Short version: don't do it, because it makes you look like a total *****.
Reply 55
I was awful, 'Since the sciences were introduced to me, I have had a flair for chemistry; it fascinates me at how pharmacologists and chemists discover with a drug or vaccine from scratch or how they adapt existing ideas to make them ‘work’.'
...later on...
'I would love to say, one day, that I have helped millions of people to enjoy a regular normal life. In my view, that would be the highest achievement that I could ever work towards.'
True but cheesy, worked though
Reply 56
I am reading all of these and finding them oh so amusing btw :P
Reply 57
I'm still in year 11 but these quotes are the best thing I've read all day
Reply 58
LOl I opened with a question, then answered it myself :tongue:

"Am I the next Isambard Kingdom Brunel? .....Probably"
Reply 59
Applying for politics and ir, something like : I organized several events, requiring organization and a certain sense of diplomacy since we had a lot to debate.

After organizing these events, I HATE the girls I worked with.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest