The Student Room Group
Reply 1
Risotto is brilliant, only one pan, easy to wash up, and so flexible!

I make it with basically whatever is available. Always garlic and butter and a bit of stock cube but apart from that, anything! King prawns are great (put saffron in there too), normal bacon is good, wild mushrooms are interesting. If you've got a stronger flavour such as beef or lamb in there, I find that a bit of blue cheese goes really well in it. White wine always helps with any risotto.

Recently I had some lamb steaks and started off frying them not knowing what to do, then I put in loads of mint and parsley and some celery and it kind of turned into a risotto. That was really nice.

Glad there are other Risottini out there! :biggrin:

EDIT: and once in a while, truffle oil. mmmm.
ahhh pea and leek rissotto.....with parmesan shavings.........heaven.......
asparagus rissotto is good too......
Reply 3
the beauty is that anything risotto is delicious. It's basically just rice with stuff in and so anything goes, which is what makes it so great :smile:.
Reply 4
Taken out of the context of a thread about risotto, that becomes a very worrying sentence indeed :p:.
Reply 7
Smoked salmon and cream cheese risotto. Make risotto as usual, making sure as much stock as possible is absorbed (you can use fish stock if you want) and then add cream cheese (low fat works fine) - a good 2 tablespoons and then chop some smoked salmon and add that. Add a little more stock and let that get absorbed and it should be ready!
Reply 8
guccilittlepiggy
thanks for that :smile:

It's ok - those are all just vegetarian recipes I think, if you go to bbc.co.uk/food you can type in risotto and not tick the vegetarian box
Reply 9
i fry some mushrooms, garlie, chicken and rosemary together, cook til brown. Set that aside and use the same pan to heat oil, butter, rice, then deglaze the pan with white wine or Vermouth, then start to add stock. I find the stock in a "bag" or tetra pack is miles better than stock cubes, and I can't be arsed making my own stock. Add stock as usual, stirring all the time. You want the mix to sound ... sloppy. When it is nearly done, put your chicken and mushrooms in, add rocket, a big know of butter and grated parmesan. walk away for 5 minutes. Then come back, stir and serve. With cracked pepper.
Reply 10
Segat1
i fry some mushrooms, garlie, chicken and rosemary together, cook til brown. Set that aside and use the same pan to heat oil, butter, rice, then deglaze the pan with white wine or Vermouth, then start to add stock. I find the stock in a "bag" or tetra pack is miles better than stock cubes, and I can't be arsed making my own stock. Add stock as usual, stirring all the time. You want the mix to sound ... sloppy. When it is nearly done, put your chicken and mushrooms in, add rocket, a big know of butter and grated parmesan. walk away for 5 minutes. Then come back, stir and serve. With cracked pepper.

Now, that does sound delicious!
NickiM
It's ok - those are all just vegetarian recipes I think, if you go to bbc.co.uk/food you can type in risotto and not tick the vegetarian box

i am a vegetarian :p:
Reply 12
guccilittlepiggy
i am a vegetarian :p:

Oh, sorry! *blushes* :smile:

Latest