The Student Room Group

New documentary series - Tough Young Teachers...

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Having watched this I can see I would have no chance being accepted onto the Teach First Scheme. I'm far too working class. Think I would relate more to young Kaleb than Egon Spengler who kept playing them classical music.
I've seen it, made me think a lot actually...
Reply 22
Original post by bellylaugh
Best thing about the show - 'sir, you're moist'. Never heard that one before!

Ha ha...I thought the same thing. Clearly being called 'moist' is the insult du jour. So funny!

I was called "moist" in school last year. Was dumbfounded at the time! Glad to hear it's not just me! :biggrin:
I live and work very near Croydon so I suppose the slang would be similar.

I enjoyed the show - I had been worried it would be terrifying and put me off completely but quite the opposite, I wish I could start now and not have to wait for September!
There are quite a few things I would have done differently but for having been thrown in at the deep end (straight from uni for many of them) I think they showed potential.
Caleb and his RE teacher made me laugh and think about how I'd deal with such a situation (as a future RE teacher).
Reply 23
Original post by crock
Having watched this I can see I would have no chance being accepted onto the Teach First Scheme. I'm far too working class. Think I would relate more to young Kaleb than Egon Spengler who kept playing them classical music.

Same here.

I'd end up giving fist-pumps. :/
Reply 24
Original post by crock

I think a couple of them came from very privileged backgrounds didn't they, but not all of them. It did make me chuckle when one of the guys used the analogy of scuba diving to explain negative numbers.

Teacher: You know when you're scuba diving and your instructor wants you to go deeper....

Pupil: No.
The term "moist" seemed to be tossed around an awful lot during that programme , what on earth does that term even mean ?
Reply 26
I only saw a bit of it but I would've preferred if they used hidden cameras in the classroom. My classes would react completely differently if they knew they were being filmed.
Original post by notnek
I only saw a bit of it but I would've preferred if they used hidden cameras in the classroom. My classes would react completely differently if they knew they were being filmed.

I presume there are issues of consent involved. Better or worse?
I have no interested in teaching, but I watched this last night. It was pretty good. They were definitely pretty naive going into it. Pretty early on, they realised how tough that the job was. Especially the English teacher. Taking on the bottom set kids and expecting all of them to pass. Then realising they couldn't even write basic sentences properly.

The Science teacher also had a hard time controlling her class. I have no idea how people can handle that. So many of those kids were complete ********s. Makes it worse, because they're all very young looking teachers and the kids obviously know that they're new to teaching. The respect levels already start at a low point.
Reply 29
Honestly that kid caleb is smarter than hit idiot r.e teacher.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 30
Original post by Luketreherne
The term "moist" seemed to be tossed around an awful lot during that programme , what on earth does that term even mean ?

I'm not entirely sure myself but I think it means homosexual?
I've changed I'm not the same person I used to be.... Muhammad you're moist! :rofl:
Original post by senz72
I'm not entirely sure myself but I think it means homosexual?

Most teenage classroom slang seems to. It is a very overused category.
Found this show really interesting. I actually thought the English teacher was the least impressive one, though the RE guy had his moments.

Shelly - I did the same thing as you. Paused every 10 seconds it seemed like to talk about what could be done differently, or why something was happening a certain way, or a time I'd done something thay'd just done!

Hats off to the trainees - there's no way I'd want to be filmed during this year.
Reply 34
The way I've seen moist is, you're freshly born, therefore you are moist. It suggests you don't know anything yet as you are a freshly born baby that is still moist from being born.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Ggmu!
The way I've seen moist is, you're freshly born, therefore you are moist. It suggests you don't know anything yet as you are a freshly born baby that is still moist from being born.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Still wet behind the ears?
To be referred to as moist is to say you are ill informed or have said something idiotic or embarrassing. Moist can also be used to describe a situation or occurrence. If someone is faced with a circumstance that is particularly displeasing it's also acceptable to say something like 'rahh that's moist'.
'I've got no friends man!'
'Allow that your bare moist'

'I can't man I'm going to my parents wedding'
'Moist'

Thats moist / Your moist / or if you want to be harsh simply just say...Moist
Reply 37
Original post by carnationlilyrose
Still wet behind the ears?

That's the one. But it's spread now, pretty much use it as you want, within limits.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 38
Original post by chocolatesauce
To be referred to as moist is to say you are ill informed or have said something idiotic or embarrassing. Moist can also be used to describe a situation or occurrence. If someone is faced with a circumstance that is particularly displeasing it's also acceptable to say something like 'rahh that's moist'.
'I've got no friends man!'
'Allow that your bare moist'

'I can't man I'm going to my parents wedding'
'Moist'

Thats moist / Your moist / or if you want to be harsh simply just say...Moist

This is making me laugh so much! I'm going to try and use the word moist tomorrow in this context and see what (if any) reaction I get. :biggrin:
Original post by Ggmu!
That's the one. But it's spread now, pretty much use it as you want, within limits.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I shall listen out for it. Don't want to be caught not knowing what the kids are saying, although it's usually easy to make a reasonable guess.... Assume there's an insult involved, if in doubt.

Quick Reply

Latest