The Student Room Group

How would you cope if your son was due to be executed by lethal injection?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Chlorophile
No, they don't prevent people from offending in the first place. That is not the role of the justice system. Preventing people from offending in the first place is of critical importance, much more important than reforming the justice system. The problem, obviously, is that it's incredibly difficult to do. As long as you've got a society with a significant rich-poor divide, you're going to have this alienated sub-group within your society. The issue is that as long as we've got a capitalist system, nothing is going to change regarding this. Additionally, as we can see in this thread, there are a lot of people who are convinced that all criminals are 100% responsible for their actions because they're too arrogant and unemphatic to understand what it's like to be destitute.

Why do you think it is not the role of the justice system to prevent (or at least deter) people from offending in the first place, when you say that it is of critical importance to do so? Whose role is it?

I agree that society has an alienated sub-group that is more inclined towards criminal activity, whether it's because they're uneducated or destitute etc. But don't you think it is a positive thing, if such people were deterred from committing crimes by the high risk to themselves that it would bring (knowing that not everyone will be responsive to education geared towards abiding by the law)?
Original post by tazarooni89
Why do you think it is not the role of the justice system to prevent (or at least deter) people from offending in the first place, when you say that it is of critical importance to do so? Whose role is it?

I agree that society has an alienated sub-group that is more inclined towards criminal activity, whether it's because they're uneducated or destitute etc. But don't you think it is a positive thing, if such people were deterred from committing crimes by the high risk to themselves that it would bring (knowing that not everyone will be responsive to education geared towards abiding by the law)?

But as I've said already, there is no evidence that terrible punishments prohibit people. Yes, it might prohibit the tiny minority who are educated, but the vast majority who already have a terrible life will not be particularly intimidated by the threat of death. The US has the death penalty and they have one of the highest violent crime rates in the developed world.
Original post by Chlorophile
But as I've said already, there is no evidence that terrible punishments prohibit people. Yes, it might prohibit the tiny minority who are educated, but the vast majority who already have a terrible life will not be particularly intimidated by the threat of death.

Personally I'd disagree with this. Other than people who are for some reason suicidal, the risk of death is a major factor in putting people off certain types of activity. Of the people you mentioned who have a terrible life, a lot of them are willing to commit crimes, far fewer are willing to jump off tall buildings. People seek to do what is advantageous rather than disadvantageous to themselves.

The US has the death penalty and they have one of the highest violent crime rates in the developed world.

One could just as easily point out that Japan uses the death penalty, and Mexico doesn't. Mexico has significantly higher rates of violent crime than Japan.

Statements like this don't really say very much in themselves. It's potentially a bit like saying "hospitals are full of doctors, yet they have the highest concentration of sick people than anywhere else", in an attempt to suggest that doctors are ineffective, when the reality is that without doctors, those people would be even more sick than they are now. Perhaps the US would also have an even higher rate of violent crime if it abolished the death penalty?

In order to have a fair illustration of whether or not the death penalty is an effective deterrent, you need to compare like with like - e.g. a country immediately before and immediately after it introduces/abolishes the death penalty. This shows the effect of the death penalty, all other things being equal (as far as possible).
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by felamaslen
Which option would you say is more humane though? It's a question I struggle with. I certainly know that I would rather be killed on the spot than sent to prison for the literal rest of my life. I think I would even prefer to be killed as an innocent person (miscarriage of justice) than be sent to prison for years as an innocent prisoner.

If you're alive there's always hope though, plus people can still make lives for themselves inside of prison. ..

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Obiejess
If you're alive there's always hope though, plus people can still make lives for themselves inside of prison. ..

Posted from TSR Mobile

Come on, there is no hope if you're in without possibility of parole. And involuntary custody is no life.
Reply 85
Personally I'd disagree with this. Other than people who are for some reason suicidal, the risk of death is a major factor in putting people off certain types of activity. Of the people you mentioned who have a terrible life, a lot of them are willing to commit crimes, far fewer are willing to jump off tall buildings. People seek to do what is advantageous rather than disadvantageous to themselves.

One could just as easily point out that Japan uses the death penalty, and Mexico doesn't. Mexico has significantly higher rates of violent crime than Japan.

Statements like this don't really say very much in themselves. It's potentially a bit like saying "hospitals are full of doctors, yet they have the highest concentration of sick people than anywhere else", in an attempt to suggest that doctors are ineffective, when the reality is that without doctors, those people would be even more sick than they are now. Perhaps the US would also have an even higher rate of violent crime if it abolished the death penalty?

In order to have a fair illustration of whether or not the death penalty is an effective deterrent, you need to compare like with like - e.g. a country immediately before and immediately after it introduces/abolishes the death penalty. This shows the effect of the death penalty, all other things being equal (as far as possible).

While is it certainly not conclusive, the high violence rate in the USA does highlight that the death penalty may not be a great deterrent. You have said that you think it is, but have not given evidence for it being so.
Come on, there is no hope if you're in without possibility of parole. And involuntary custody is no life.

You clearly haven't seen the Shawshank Redemption.
Original post by CJG21

You'll need more than one (possibly sensationalist and unrealistic) film to convince me that prison would be a better outcome for me, personally, than death, if I were convicted for something I had not done.

I'd rather have a life, no matter how minute, than none.

I do however think they should be allowed to top themselves if they want.

There should always be possibility of parole/reviw and what if the person is innocent better be in for 5 years then evidence found that you are than be dead for a crime you didn't commit.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Obiejess
I'd rather have a life, no matter how minute, than none.

I do however think they should be allowed to top themselves if they want.

There should always be possibility of parole/reviw and what if the person is innocent better be in for 5 years then evidence found that you are than be dead for a crime you didn't commit.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I can't speak for other people, but even five years would be enough for me. Rather be dead.

Just to be clear, I'm not actually advocating implementing the death penalty, I'm just saying what would be the preferable option for me personally.
Original post by CJG21

Yeah, but do prisoners learn their lessons now in the same way as in that film?
What about if that person who is on death row killed someone? How do you think the victim's mother felt when her child died?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by james22
While is it certainly not conclusive, the high violence rate in the USA does highlight that the death penalty may not be a great deterrent.

I don't think it highlights this in any way at all. As I said earlier - if it does highlight this, then what is indicated by the fact that Japan uses the death penalty, Mexico doesn't but violent crime rates are significantly higher than Mexico?

Not only are statements like these inconclusive, they're not even indicative of the effectiveness of the death penalty as a deterrent. They provide no way of deciding whether the US's violent crime rate is as low as it is due to the death penalty, or as high as it is in spite of it.

You have said that you think it is, but have not given evidence for it being so.

My reason for believing that the death penalty is a deterrent (just how effective, I don't know), isn't based on some set of statistics I've seen or anything like that. As I said earlier, it's just based on what we know of human nature - namely that people tend to seek to benefit rather than harm themselves, and that people tend not to want to die. The risk of death is an effective deterrent against lots of things, so why should it not be for crimes?
Reply 93
I don't think it highlights this in any way at all. As I said earlier - if it does highlight this, then what is indicated by the fact that Japan uses the death penalty, Mexico doesn't but violent crime rates are significantly higher than Mexico?

Not only are statements like these inconclusive, they're not even indicative of the effectiveness of the death penalty as a deterrent. They provide no way of deciding whether the US's violent crime rate is as low as it is due to the death penalty, or as high as it is in spite of it.

I know it isn't conclusive, but we have very little evidence of the effectiveness of the death penalty in western countries, and the USA is all we really have to go on. I would not use the USA as an argument against the death penalty, but an argument that you really need to evidence to show it is a deterrent.

My reason for believing that the death penalty is a deterrent (just how effective, I don't know), isn't based on some set of statistics I've seen or anything like that. As I said earlier, it's just based on what we know of human nature - namely that people tend to seek to benefit rather than harm themselves, and that people tend not to want to die. The risk of death is an effective deterrent against lots of things, so why should it not be for crimes?

There is more to it than that though. Human anture is very complicated and people committing the most serious crimes tend not to think much of the consequences. I do not consider it obvious that having the death penalty would reduce murder rate, and will not accept it as an argument without evidence to back it up.

Even if it is a deterrent, the death penalty costsa lot more than a life sentence, so you need to weigh up the increased costs with the reduced crime rate.

This is silly. Do you think a criminal is going to think of the consequences of their murder? In most cases, not. They are consumed by their situation and some have an escape plan once they commit the crime.

I am of American origin and a strong supporter of the death penalty. I think it should also come back for child rape but I think only one state may have this. It's more about justice. In one case a guy wanted to die so they gave him life in prison instead.
Reply 95
Original post by donutaud15
What about if that person who is on death row killed someone? How do you think the victim's mother felt when her child died?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Why does that matter? It's too late to save the victim. It's not as if killing the murderer will get that person back.
Reply 96
How would I cope?

Well, I probably wouldn't be coping very well, regardless of how I felt about the death penalty, (which I don't support anyway.) I imagine I'd feel ashamed of what my son did, guilt, betrayed by his actions, all the while probably mixed in the pain of personal grief.
Original post by james22
Why does that matter? It's too late to save the victim. It's not as if killing the murderer will get that person back.

no but I imagine that a lot of parents would want to avenge their child's death.
Reply 98
Original post by donutaud15
no but I imagine that a lot of parents would want to avenge their child's death.

There is no evidence to suggest that killing the murderer makes the family feel any better.

And don't you think it's a bit extreme to kill someone to make a few people feel better about something that happened years ago?
Original post by james22
There is no evidence to suggest that killing the murderer makes the family feel any better.

And don't you think it's a bit extreme to kill someone to make a few people feel better about something that happened years ago?

Your right there isn't any evidence, not unless you speak to the victim's families afterwards and ask if that somehow helped. However I am putting myself in that shoes, if my child is killed I would want the killer killed too. I don't expect anybody to agree or whatever but it varies from person to person how they would feel.

And "something that happened years ago" doesn't soften the impact of any crime, much less murder.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending