The Student Room Group

17 y/o, looking to build up muscle in New Year, advice?

I'm 17, at 6'2' and 10stone. As my weight indicates, I'm not very well built at all. I want to try and build up some muscle in the new year, but I don't know what the best way to start is, especially as I'm very out-of-shape, and always have been (I can barely do 15 push-ups). Any advice?

Scroll to see replies

I think you should ignore me :colone:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 3
^ That suggested routine made me laugh out loud. Google "starting strength" and have a read about the routine & why you should be doing it.
Original post by Shawshank
^ That suggested routine made me laugh out loud. Google "starting strength" and have a read about the routine & why you should be doing it.

Agreed. Although, in all fairness, at least it included legs.... More than can be said about a lot of things posted on here.
Original post by Shawshank

Original post by Scoobiedoobiedo
Agreed. Although, in all fairness, at least it included legs.... More than can be said about a lot of things posted on here.

At least I put something forward :biggrin: Whats your routines?
Reply 6
SS + GOMAD

OP do this and you will bulk up in no time
Original post by ScottishScott
At least I put something forward :biggrin: Whats your routines?

I don't follow one, it changes on how I feel(within reason) check my blog if you want to see.
Original post by Scoobiedoobiedo
I don't follow one, it changes on how I feel(within reason) check my blog if you want to see.

You have a link?
First thing I have to tell you is that these things wont happen overnight so you have to be committed to doing the exercises/lifting.

If your looking to build up ab muscles (six-pack) then skip the cardio stuff (running etc) as you don't need to lose weight. For the ab exercises there are plenty of videos on YouTube that have free workouts..I recommend Brettcap and Jose Padilla.

If your wanting to build up muscles in your biceps and triceps then this is when you need to buy some equipment, but don't worry a set of adjustable 20 kg weights only cost £20. Once you have these you will see your muscles improve as you lift heavier and heavier.

The exercises are just a part of the whole muscle thing.You have to set up a regime of when your going to workout, as a 17 year old I would imagine your quite busy so something like this would do fine...

Monday - Legs
Tuesday - Rest
Wednesday - Abs
Thursday -Rest
Friday - Arms
Saturday - Rest
Sunday - Chest

You need to have a sufficient amount of sleep (9 hours) and rest but you could cut out one of your rest days and fill it with an exercise if your not too tired. Your diet will also need to be good so that you take in the right amount of proteins, meat,milk and if your bulking carbohydrates will all need to be eaten. I manage to do this fine without any supplements but if you have the cash then perhaps you could take them but I cant advise you on them.

Sorry for making you read so much but it cant be said any other way :P

Please stop giving advice. Although the parts in bold did give me a good laugh..
Original post by uktotalgamer
Please stop giving advice. Although the parts in bold did give me a good laugh..

At least I made you laugh :smile: I don't find inaccurate information funny but if that's how you roll!
Reply 14
Original post by andrew2209
I'm 17, at 6'2' and 10stone. As my weight indicates, I'm not very well built at all. I want to try and build up some muscle in the new year, but I don't know what the best way to start is, especially as I'm very out-of-shape, and always have been (I can barely do 15 push-ups). Any advice?

it will take you more than a year
At least I made you laugh :smile: I don't find inaccurate information funny but if that's how you roll!

So you're admitting that your information is inaccurate? In which case, why give advice?
Original post by andrew2209

why do you want more muscle?
Reply 17
Original post by ThoughtIsFree
why do you want more muscle?

To me, I just look really thin and weak, and I think it'd improve my image and mentality to be in better shape. It's not vital to my life, but it's something I'd like to improve.
Do starting strength until you plateau and reset on all three lifts 3 times in a row. After this do any routine you like that revolves around Squats, bench, Deadlift, OH press and barbell rows.

This is what I did from 17 years onwards and I regularly squat 160kg+ 5 times a week, don't bother with Wendler's 5/3/1 it is far too advanced and will not work unless you are seasoned athlete and the progress is far too slow, my routine at the moment is very high frequency squatting, once you do a few cycles of SS you will have the skills and base to decide your own routine. When you get there I advise focusing on Deltoid, Back, Hamstring, Glutes, Calves and Biceps to give an extra illusion boost of size of that is what you are after.

I highly recommend eating a **** ton of food 24/7 and getting your macros, do not worry about "lean bulking" that is a myth peddled to morons to keep them weak. Eat BIG and clean, lift heavy, squat high bar and deep everyday and over the next few years you will do just fine particularly at 6'2 @ just 17 size and mass will come easy you will look big compared to many guys regardless just due to your bone structure. Also take your multis, fish oil and joint supplements, after 5 years of hard training you will only be 22 and you will be huge and strong, you MUST be consistent, you cannot take weeks off every other week, you MUST train hard nearly everyday with the very occasional deload, when it comes to your body you cannot be half arsed, to your genetic code and therefore your natural body large amounts of muscle is very inefficient and the human body will get rid of it ASAP particularly if you are not getting your macros, humans have evolved primates (in trees) ---> to on ground runners, this is why we have big lats still but also our bodies try to be thin and lean naturally, to over overcome this your need to get your macros and EAT and NEVER slack off both eating and lifting at the same time you have to both or one or the other, there will come a point where you know you are not doing it right because your legs hurt either from not squatting enough or not eating enough. Peace.

***bonus

If you have no gym do a solid body-weight routine until you can do a **** ton of muscle ups and hit your macros, this may also help when you do finally get access to a gym or equipment (you have to have at least barbells, plates and rack all of which you can pick up from Powerhouse for £20 a month on finance (which I recommend as at 17 you will not have a spare 900 £ + lying around) by building a base.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by uktotalgamer
So you're admitting that your information is inaccurate? In which case, why give advice?

Well I though it was right as its what I do but people are saying its inaccurate so I realise that I must be wrong

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest