The Student Room Group

Bikini/swim suits

Hi

What would you think if a girl who didn't have a perfect body wore a bikini? I have not been swimming in years due to being too self conscious, on holidays I have sat by the pool fully clothed. I am worried that people will stare at me because my tummy is not flat, I have stretch marks and cellulite. I am not really fat or anything, I'm a size 10 but only 5'2 so I look a little chunky. I don't like swimming costumes as I feel I look like a whale, and the tankini's I've seen are not supportive/big enough for my chest area.

Do you stare at people who wear bikini's if they are not thin with a 'beach body?'
I think you are over-worrying about your body! I have a few stretch marks on my thighs due to growth (I'm very tall) but I just use bio-oil on them so hopefully they will clear up!
A size 10 is a desired size :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 2
No one is going to stare at you, unless its because they think you are looking hot :P
most people have stretch marks ect and a bit of a tummy, quite a few guys think its cute!
If you want to wear a bikini you do that! walk tall and be confident :smile: No one is going to stare because you will look no different to anyone else!
Original post by Anonymous
Hi

What would you think if a girl who didn't have a perfect body wore a bikini? I have not been swimming in years due to being too self conscious, on holidays I have sat by the pool fully clothed. I am worried that people will stare at me because my tummy is not flat, I have stretch marks and cellulite. I am not really fat or anything, I'm a size 10 but only 5'2 so I look a little chunky. I don't like swimming costumes as I feel I look like a whale, and the tankini's I've seen are not supportive/big enough for my chest area.

Do you stare at people who wear bikini's if they are not thin with a 'beach body?'

OMG wear it! Seriously when everyone's in their swimwear no one judged and looks at each other. There are seriously going to be a lot bigger people there.
Original post by CharlotteMcD
plus curvy bodies look better in bikinis than stick thin in my opinion:smile:

Nasty
Reply 5
Everyone's probably having too much fun/worrying about their own problems too care about what you do or do not look like.
Reply 6
Very few people actually have a perfect beach body, just because everyone on tv/in magazines is that thin it doesnt mean its normal! Nobody has a perfect body, almost all girls get strech marks at some point, and to be honest everyone else will probably be too busy worrying about their own bodies to notice anything wrong with yours
Original post by SophiaKeuning
Nasty

I didn't intend it in that way:/
I have a very stick thin body due to my height which I am conscious of:/
Reply 8
Nasty

How is that nasty? They specifically said that it was just their opinion, not that being skinny is bad

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by CharlotteMcD
I didn't intend it in that way:/
I have a very stick thin body due to my height which I am conscious of:/

Oh okay. But that makes no sense whatsoever, people would kill to be tall and thin!
Original post by Harley
How is that nasty? They specifically said that it was just their opinion, not that being skinny is bad

Posted from TSR Mobile

Opinions can be nasty. Phrases can be nasty. Calling someone stick thin is not a nice thing to do. It's just this thing of women comparing their body types to other body types, curvy versus stick thin, slim versus fat, etc etc. It's nota good way of gaining confidence; putting other body types down. Not that she was actually doing that ofc.
Oh okay. But that makes no sense whatsoever, people would kill to be tall and thin!

Everyone is conscious of different things.
For me, being 5''9 since I was like 12 or 13, I always feel taller and conscious about it with my shorter friends - I would love to be shorter, some girls would love to be taller.
Original post by Harley

Posted from TSR Mobile

people aren't allowed opinions now, just in case someone is offended. Haven't you heard?

:rolleyes:
Original post by Anonymous
Hi

Didn't read it all, first line was enough. Wear whatever the **** you want, be who you wanna be, could be 6st or 16st I don't care, s'long as it's tasteful. I let my inhibitions get the better of me far too often in my teenage years and regret that.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 14
Opinions can be nasty. Phrases can be nasty. Calling someone stick thin is not a nice thing to do. It's just this thing of women comparing their body types to other body types, curvy versus stick thin, slim versus fat, etc etc. It's nota good way of gaining confidence; putting other body types down. Not that she was actually doing that ofc.

Well I don't think her opinion was said nastily. She didn't call anyone specifically stick thin, the said she thought being curvy was better than being 'stick thin' as a concept. I'd agree it's nasty to go up to someone and call them that, but it's not what she did

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 15
There's nothing wrong with not having a perfect body, I can assure you of that. anybody that judged you because you're not 'thin' is shallow.
Reply 16
Don't wanna sound harsh, but if you're that worried about it why don't you try and lose some weight?
Wear it. It's fine.
I would stare if you had a nice ass, i would watch it jiggle!
I personally prefer swimsuits than bikini's, I have a large collection of swimsuits. As for people staring ignore them and enjoy your holiday it isn't like you are going to see them again, don't worry what other people think as long as your comfortable wearing a bikini or other swimwear then go for it

Quick Reply

Latest