The Student Room Group

AQA GCE A2 Geography Unit 3 -12th of June 2014

Scroll to see replies

Original post by homefind
hello everyone! I'm doing Tectonics, ecosystems, world cities and development and globalisation. My plan for the exam is to do ecosystems & world cities 25 markers and then do the tectonics essay, although my teacher seems to think the tectonics essay may be "a stinker" this time lol :s-smilie:

I'm just wondering for the people who have done 4 topics, are you revising your strongest three and not revising the 4th as much, or equally revising all 4? I'm doing all 4, although i havent got round to do any D&G revision yet.

Hi there,

I have learnt three topics in depth and I have kind of just skimmed over my fourth topic just to give me that little bit of freedom when it comes to the exam. So I would suggest learning your best three thoroughly and then perhaps just lightly going over your fourth topic. For example, today I just started going over my fourth topic (for the first time) by answering a few past paper questions whilst using my text book and revision guide. :smile:

I hope this helps!
Reply 81
Original post by TheStudent18
Hi there,

I have learnt three topics in depth and I have kind of just skimmed over my fourth topic just to give me that little bit of freedom when it comes to the exam. So I would suggest learning your best three thoroughly and then perhaps just lightly going over your fourth topic. For example, today I just started going over my fourth topic (for the first time) by answering a few past paper questions whilst using my text book and revision guide. :smile:

I hope this helps!

That's what I'm doing today too, as well as learning most of the case studies. With geography I tend to go over all the theory first and make sure it's engraved onto my brain and then learn case studies
Reply 82
It seems you bag the marks by being able to highlight almost every point with a relevant case study fact. Just have so much to learn (remember more like)! I'm revising three in depth ( volcanoes +earthquakes, conflicts and Development & Globalisation) and the one barely in detail (weather and climate). By not going into much or any detail for weather and climate it is allowing me to focus more of my time remembering and learning the other three and so should hopefully be able to get me into the higher bands! Anyway best of luck to you my fellow geographers!
What do u guys think the tectonic 40 marker is going to be??

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 84
Original post by DackSploit
What do u guys think the tectonic 40 marker is going to be??

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think it may have something to do with management, some people in my class think another tectonic theory essay may come up.
I think it may have something to do with management, some people in my class think another tectonic theory essay may come up.

Management? I would be sooo happy if tectonic theory came up. I think it will probably have to do with Earthquakes??
Reply 86
Original post by DackSploit
Management? I would be sooo happy if tectonic theory came up. I think it will probably have to do with Earthquakes??

Management in terms of preparation e.g. evacuation routes/survival kits/reinforcement of buildings/remote sensoring/radon gas sensors for earthquake management etc... In the June 13 paper a 10 marker was about management of earthquakes, which leads me to think it may be focused to both volcanic events and seismic events. I would love a theory essay too!
(edited 9 years ago)
Anyone doing the World Cities module?
How many case studies for the processes (urbanisation etc) do we need to know?
We have only been taught one, however, the spec says contrasting case studies at different levels of economic development.
Original post by lucasluke
We have only been taught one, however, the spec says contrasting case studies at different levels of economic development.

Yeah I am. For urbanisation I've learnt Mumbai and São Paulo which I guess are at different economic development stages?
But I've also been taught a case study for every process e.g suburbanisation, urban regeneration etc.
Reply 89

We have done Mumbai and Sao Paulo for urbanisation, for surburbanisation we did Surbiton, for counter urbanisation we did St Ives and for re-urbanisation we did Liverpool
Original post by amy.louise
Yeah I am. For urbanisation I've learnt Mumbai and São Paulo which I guess are at different economic development stages?
But I've also been taught a case study for every process e.g suburbanisation, urban regeneration etc.

We have done Mumbai and Sao Paulo for urbanisation, for surburbanisation we did Surbiton, for counter urbanisation we did St Ives and for re-urbanisation we did Liverpool

It seems most people have done Mumbai and Sao Paulo. I've done Mumbai, but don't know whether to learn another.
It seems most people have done Mumbai and Sao Paulo. I've done Mumbai, but don't know whether to learn another.

I would maybe suggest you do because sometimes the questions ask discuss one or more schemes and it would be easier to talk about two contrasting schemes than just one. That's my opinion anyway of course it up to you
Reply 92
Anyone here doing Development and Globalisation?

This is the likely 40 marker i will be choosing, any ideas what it might be?

Seeing as LEDCs came up last year i reckon it could be on NICs
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 93
Original post by cdude
Anyone here doing Development and Globalisation?

This is the likely 40 marker i will be choosing, any ideas what it might be?

Seeing as LEDCs came up last year i reckon it could be on NICs

Yeah I am and NICS is a good shout, could possibly be sustainable tourism though?
Original post by iano101
Yeah I am and NICS is a good shout, could possibly be sustainable tourism though?

Is sustainable tourism even on the specification? I haven't touched on it since GCSE! But NICs is a likely option, it's quite broad too so you can apply it to almost anything which is good
Reply 95
Original post by brocklehurst95
Is sustainable tourism even on the specification? I haven't touched on it since GCSE! But NICs is a likely option, it's quite broad too so you can apply it to almost anything which is good

Yeah it's one of the three debate things for Dev & Globalisation.

'Sustainable Tourism, myth or reality.'
Hey guys! I'm an A2 student currently doing human geography, so my three sub-topics are plate tectonics, world cities and development and globalisation. I was having a look at past exam papers and it looks like there's a pattern,like with what AQA ask you. I noticed that the June 2011 questions were very similar, just re-worded to the June 2013 questions. It makes me think that perhaps they do a 2 year thing? So I looked at the June 2012 exam's(Assuming the 2 year on thing) and perhaps that is what will come up, or something similar? Also, i dont think, and my teacher agress that a topic/question would come up again, the year after. So assumingly we can rule out the stuff in the June 2013 exam.This is just a thought, but it seems to make sense!
P.s how you all revising?
:smile:
Hey Guys, i am studying Development and globalisation, Contemporary conflicts and challenges and Plate tectonics and associated hazards. but i am really struggling with the case studies, particularly for development, could anyone give me some advice, or email me so notes? i will do the same back :biggrin:
Is there a unit 4 thread?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by dippers
Is there a unit 4 thread?

Posted from TSR Mobile

About the Morpeth flooding? Here it is. http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2630915

If you didn't mean the Morpeth flooding then there it is anyway. Erm...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending