The Student Room Group

How long after graduating does a degree become worthless?

If someone graduates with a degree, but doesn't find "relevant work experience related to their degree" within a short time period, how soon would the degree become worthless in the pursuit of entry level/graduate level roles?

I've asked a few people IRL, but got answers ranging from 1-5 years.

Personally, I graduated 2.5 years ago and get very little response from any degree related job roles.

I feel my time now is wasted and I should consider other pastures.

Scroll to see replies

When I was applying to graduate schemes, many stipulated that you were either a final year student or a "recent" graduate, e.g. within the last 1-2 years, so your figure of 1-5 years sounds reasonable.

That said, for higher positions that require a degree, that you might not be able to progress to without a degree, I don't think a degree obtained any number of years ago would be "worthless" in that context.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 2
Never. A graduate still has credibility because of the fact you got there. As a wise old teacher once said to me, 'it is worth putting effort in to revising for your exams as, once you have them, no one can take them away from you'
Reply 3
Think its more about how BIG are the gaps in your CV e.g. graduates with a degree then does nothing for five years. You just can't explain it away...
Reply 4
So I'm most likely ****ed now.
Reply 5
Original post by grumbeale
If someone graduates with a degree, but doesn't find "relevant work experience related to their degree" within a short time period, how soon would the degree become worthless in the pursuit of entry level/graduate level roles?

I've asked a few people IRL, but got answers ranging from 1-5 years.

Personally, I graduated 2.5 years ago and get very little response from any degree related job roles.

I feel my time now is wasted and I should consider other pastures.

Five years and most of the value is gone, but it never goes and depends what career you go into. For an architect or doctor it always remains high.

Did you ever get much response? Do you think your four red gems and lack of employer responses tells you anything about yourself?
Reply 6
I'm sick of people kicking down graduates and telling them that everything they worked for was pointless.

Nobody can take what you achieved from you.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
In this job market: After 6 months interviewers will be uncomfortable and start asking awkward questions about the "gap" after a year your times up and it's going to be like applying for jobs with a criminal record.
Reply 8
Generally the value of a degree starts depreciating after 2 years if you don't get yourself into a graduate level job. The same goes for any work experience and also certifications you may hold.
Reply 9
Original post by Alfissti
Generally the value of a degree starts depreciating after 2 years if you don't get yourself into a graduate level job. The same goes for any work experience and also certifications you may hold.

This, I have just found out, is very true.

I just had a graduate interview, approximately 2.5 years after graduating. I'd been self employed and in other roles since University, not related to my degree and as a result the interview was tough. The questions were difficult and obviously the gap between university and relevant employment came up. I have good answers and am a confident guy but it's apparent that it's a 'problem' to have such a gap. They interviewed me though, so fingers crossed I get the job - no reason why I can't. In all seriousness though, 2+ years and you'll be struggling.

Obviously having a degree isn't 'useless' after a couple of years because six months ago, I got a promotion in a job in which they asked 'You have a degree, don't you?" This stood me in good stead against the other potential candidate. The degree still proves you're smart enough to learn whatever people throw at you and that's a good thing.
Reply 10
As soon as I got my Masters no-one gave two ****s about my degree soooo that would be 1 year. Not sure about job wise though.
Reply 11
Original post by redferry
As soon as I got my Masters no-one gave two ****s about my degree soooo that would be 1 year. Not sure about job wise though.

Eh? Who was everybody then?

Get a 2.ii and a masters and you'll still be told to sod off by a grad scheme autofilter.
Reply 12
Original post by Quady
Eh? Who was everybody then?

Get a 2.ii and a masters and you'll still be told to sod off by a grad scheme autofilter.

no-one cares if you have a distinction/merit in your masters. Seriously.

I know people who landed grad jobs with 2.is from Derby, Hull etc or a 2.ii at Bristol and Cambridge after a Masters at Leeds or Liverpool

Edit: although getting onto a decent Masters is difficult with a 2.ii at universities not as well regarded as Bristol/Oxbridge
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 13
no-one cares if you have a distinction/merit in your masters. Seriously.

I know people who landed grad jobs with 2.iis from Derby, Hull etc after a Masters at Leeds or Liverpool

in fact with my 2.ii and a masters I have a grad job interview next week...

Yeah, nobody cares if you have merit/distinction, grad scheme employers don't care if you have a masters full stop.

Which grad scheme(s) was that? Deloitte? Accenture? the banks?
Reply 14
Original post by Quady
Yeah, nobody cares if you have merit/distinction, grad scheme employers don't care if you have a masters full stop.

Which grad scheme(s) was that? Deloitte? Accenture? the banks?

I know one person working with McKinsey with a 2.i from a poly and a Masters from Leeds, and one with a 2.ii from Bristol at Deloitte and another on a actuarial grad scheme with one of the top firms which everyone was really pissed off about because I guess they felt they deserved it more than her. She didn't even do a Masters.

Among people I know I haven't really seen much correlation between whether they have found a job and degree classification, if anything more of the people I know who did better are unemployed because they are more picky about jobs.
Reply 15
I know one person working with McKinsey with a 2.i from a poly and a Masters from Leeds, and one with a 2.ii from Bristol at Deloitte and another on a actuarial grad scheme with one of the top firms which everyone was really pissed off about because I guess they felt they deserved it more than her. She didn't even do a Masters.

Among people I know I haven't really seen much correlation between whether they have found a job and degree classification, if anything more of the people I know who did better are unemployed because they are more picky about jobs.

I also query the relevance of degree classification as against the personality and qualities of the individual.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 16
Original post by Key123
I also query the relevance of degree classification as against the personality and qualities of the individual.

Posted from TSR Mobile

True, people with firsts often have less extracurriculars/social skills
True, people with firsts often have less extracurriculars/social skills

Oh look, it's someone else who thinks that intelligence has a high correlation with social ineptitude.

News flash: there are plenty of high flying academics who may be introverted, but just as easily walk out of universities with firsts, honours, awards, a host of social achievements and plenty of friends.
Reply 18
Original post by wanderlust.xx
Oh look, it's someone else who thinks that intelligence has a high correlation with social ineptitude.

News flash: there are plenty of high flying academics who may be introverted, but just as easily walk out of universities with firsts, honours, awards, a host of social achievements and plenty of friends.

OK: out of my friends that got firsts all but one are on the less socially able end of the scale. That includes my own boyfriend!
Reply 19
Original post by wanderlust.xx

Yeah, and you're talking to one :smile:. I'm not suggesting those with high grades can't hold a conversation, I'm saying that the extra grade doesn't necessarily overcome a slight weakness in that area.

My proposition was in response to the slight 'I got a first and am more deserving' undertone I was picking up.

Many of the most talented people I knew at uni (who have gone into great jobs) got 2:1s instead of 1sts because they chose to devote extra time to extra-curricular activities which allowed them to build a greater range of demonstrable competences.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest

Trending

Trending