Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah. Getting about 63 marks on average. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 21
Original post by toonervoustotalk
Yeah. Getting about 63 marks on average. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Nice!

Good luck everyone! It'll be over in 24 hours!

Posted from TSR Mobile
We've put together a betting system for this exam. Our class has arranged tiers and leagues of similar levels. I'm actually pretty excited!

Good luck and yeah, it should be a good paper. Any predictions on the CAP mark?
Good Luck for tomorrow everyone! I'm actually feeling very prepared for it, so I'm focussing more on core 2 today. I did the aqa further maths gcse though and I've found it's helped me sail through core 1 much more easily than everyone else in my class.
Does anyone know for optimisation, which shapes we need to know the formula of the volume for? Because I can only remember it for cubes!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by lukejohnston13
Does anyone know for optimisation, which shapes we need to know the formula of the volume for? Because I can only remember it for cubes!

Posted from TSR Mobile

We only need to know the formulae for the area of a triangle and the area of a trapezium to my knowledge.
Area of a triangle = 1/2 x base x height
Area of a trapezium = 1/2 x (base1 + base2) x height
Reply 26
Original post by Hermitlad
We only need to know the formulae for the area of a triangle and the area of a trapezium to my knowledge.
Area of a triangle = 1/2 x base x height
Area of a trapezium = 1/2 x (base1 + base2) x height

This sounds correct based on my maths teacher's advice. She also said none of the formulas in the booklet help for core 1.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Good Luck everyone! If I were to give last minute advice I would say don't rush and check EVERYTHING thoroughly if you have spare time, not gonna lie, I've made countless silly mistakes on the simplest of things on past papers that have lost me marks!... :smile:
Reply 28
Question 5bi from Jun 2012, Could anyone help please I am stuck?
The line y=x+5 intersects the curve so you just do simultaneous equations!
X^2 -3x +5 = x + 5

Solve it and you will find two solutions; one will be x=0 by looking at the diagram and that will be for point A. So use the other x value which is for B! Then sub it into y=x+5 to find the y value
Hey, I'm sitting this tomorrow, and I think my worst enemy is myself!

So easy to make stupid mistakes. I once even said 4 x 2 = 6 ...

Good luck to everyone sitting this paper tomorrow!
Original post by lukejohnston13

Posted from TSR Mobile

What do you mean by "optimisation"?? :frown:
Reply 32
Guys in the June 2013 paper (Very last question) How would you factorise it quickly?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Kosovaa
Guys in the June 2013 paper (Very last question) How would you factorise it quickly?

Posted from TSR Mobile

You cant really do it "quickly" you could use the quadratic formula or just go through all the possible factors. just looking at it i can see its gunna be 20 and 4

(7k-20)(k-4)<0 i think

CF: k=20/7 and k=4

-draw graph

20/7<k<4
(edited 9 years ago)
The paper won't say optimisation, its just the fancy word for it! Its when theres a box and you have to find the volume and surface area etc of it! I think its q4 on the jan 12 paper if you wanna look!
Reply 35
Original post by cuckoo99
You cant really do it "quickly" you could use the quadratic formula or just go through all the possible factors. just looking at it i can see its gunna be 20 and 4

(7k-20)(k-4)<0 i think

CF: k=20/7 and k=4

-draw graph

20/7<k<4

That's how the mark scheme tackles it so I would too. It's not always going to be obvious factorising at the end so don't be put off if you can't first time!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 36
But then how would you work it out simultaneously, because there is no x^2 in "x+5"?

Referring to Luke Jhonston 13
(edited 9 years ago)
x^2 -3x +5 = x + 5
Subtract x + 5 from both sides so you get x^2 -4x =0

Factorise : x(x-4)
X=0 or 4
Therefore for B : x=4

Sub into y= x+5
Y=4+5
=9

Coordinates are (4,9)
Reply 38
Thank you very much. And in the same paper question 5biii, how would you work out area of trapezium with out mention of strips?
Well you should know the area of a trapezium is 1/2(base+top)xheight! So do the area of part ii minus the area of the trapezium!

Also you wouldnt use the trapezium rule as the question asks to give the actual area not an estimate for it:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest