The Student Room Group

AS AQA Mathematics Mechanics 1 MPM1 16 June 2014

Scroll to see replies

I'm doing M1 as part of my A2 and not AS (we did C1, C2, D1 last year and C3, C4, M1 this year.) I've got to get an A in Maths (I got a B last year :frown: ), so I'm revising like crazy. I do have a couple of tips for anyone struggling with M1.

1) Don't make any assumptions about what the questons are asking you. M1 tends to be pretty formulaic, but they could throw you a curveball so read the question properly and check you're doing the right calculation

2) Remember: the maths itself is easy. Sine rule and cosine rule? Subbing stuff into suvat? Simultaneous eqns? This is all stuff we can do. So when you get a question and you think "WHAAAAAAT HOW DO I EVEN ATTEMPT TO ANSWER THIS!!?!?!", breathe. Don't panic. Use common sense and you will probably be able to work it out unless it's a really horrible question.

3) Draw diagrams, as many as is necessary. It's worth the extra time taken. You will be less likely to make mistakes and you will be able to see exactly what you need to work out.

Hope this helps someone. This is kind of self advice as well as advice for everyone else. :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 41
Original post by TheDreadedDuck
I'm doing M1 as part of my A2 and not AS (we did C1, C2, D1 last year and C3, C4, M1 this year.) I've got to get an A in Maths (I got a B last year :frown: ), so I'm revising like crazy. I do have a couple of tips for anyone struggling with M1.

1) Don't make any assumptions about what the questons are asking you. M1 tends to be pretty formulaic, but they could throw you a curveball so read the question properly and check you're doing the right calculation

2) Remember: the maths itself is easy. Sine rule and cosine rule? Subbing stuff into suvat? Simultaneous eqns? This is all stuff we can do. So when you get a question and you think "WHAAAAAAT HOW DO I EVEN ATTEMPT TO ANSWER THIS!!?!?!", breathe. Don't panic. Use common sense and you will probably be able to work it out unless it's a really horrible question.

3) Draw diagrams, as many as is necessary. It's worth the extra time taken. You will be less likely to make mistakes and you will be able to see exactly what you need to work out.

Hope this helps someone. This is kind of self advice as well as advice for everyone else. :smile:

Very much appreciated! Diagrams sound like a saving grace!

Posted from TSR Mobile
This is the one exam I am not ready for. Aha, no, this is one of the exams I am not ready for.
Reply 43
Original post by RoughWritings
This is the one exam I am not ready for. Aha, no, this is one of the exams I am not ready for.

Haha, me too. Have you got any others?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 44
I literally haven't looked at mechanics in MONTHS. Gonna really use the ten days after my Stats exam just to focus on the exam!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 45
Original post by tomixox
I literally haven't looked at mechanics in MONTHS. Gonna really use the ten days after my Stats exam just to focus on the exam!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I don't even have ten days! I have 7 after physics! :s-smilie:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 46
Could someone move this to the maths exams section please? I'm a noob and don't know how.

Posted from TSR Mobile
i am going to start revising this from tomorrow.:biggrin: i have forgotten everything in mechanics. i hope these 13 days are enough to get an A
Reply 48
Original post by toonervoustotalk
i am going to start revising this from tomorrow.:biggrin: i have forgotten everything in mechanics. i hope these 13 days are enough to get an A

Same. I also have a Physics exam in 6 days which is a third Mechanics haha.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Should really start revising for this, but have 2 chemistry and 2 physics exams next week. By the way when dealing with vectors in mechanics and it says find the velocity in north east, why d you have to do i=-j?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 50
Original post by Jimmy20002012
Should really start revising for this, but have 2 chemistry and 2 physics exams next week. By the way when dealing with vectors in mechanics and it says find the velocity in north east, why d you have to do i=-j?

Posted from TSR Mobile

A lot of people are in the same boat don't worry! You do i=-j because if you imagine set of axis, with an arrow from the origin in a NE direction, it will be a diagonal line pointing outwards in the top left quadrant. As it is NE, the angle between both axis and the like is 45 degrees, so if you imagine resolving it into components, because they have the same angle between them and the line, the i and j components must be equal in magnitude. And using the axis in the top left quadrant i is negative and j is positive so that's where you get i=-j from - they're equal in magnitude and one is the negative of the other.

Posted from TSR Mobile
How should i go about revising for this exam please. Bear in mind that i have forgotten everything.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 52
How should i go about revising for this exam please. Bear in mind that i have forgotten everything.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Do you do physics at all? If so then I'd go over the mechanics unit of that to get used to the concepts, key words and ideas before looking at videos you might find online to go through questions. Look through any notes you might have and once you feel ready, go through papers and repeat this process until you start to rely entirely on past papers for revision :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by CD223
Do you do physics at all? If so then I'd go over the mechanics unit of that to get used to the concepts, key words and ideas before looking at videos you might find online to go through questions. Look through any notes you might have and once you feel ready, go through papers and repeat this process until you start to rely entirely on past papers for revision :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ok thanks. But i dont do physics. I am going to AS physics next year while i do my A2s

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 54
Ok thanks. But i dont do physics. I am going to AS physics next year while i do my A2s

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh nice:smile: are you dropping something you do ATM as well or taking AS physics as an extra? Because I'd advice you drop and swap if that makes sense because I personally don't find that physics is a light subject ahaha

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by CD223
Oh nice:smile: are you dropping something you do ATM as well or taking AS physics as an extra? Because I'd advice you drop and swap if that makes sense because I personally don't find that physics is a light subject ahaha

Posted from TSR Mobile

I am dropping english and going to do physics instead.
I am currently doing maths, biology, chemistry and english. I hate english soo much.
I know phsics is hard but i need it if i want to do the uni course i want to do and so i may stay in college for three years. So i can also do A2 physics.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 56
I am dropping english and going to do physics instead.
I am currently doing maths, biology, chemistry and english. I hate english soo much.
I know phsics is hard but i need it if i want to do the uni course i want to do and so i may stay in college for three years. So i can also do A2 physics.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh yeah you're perfectly right to switch if that's the case. I'm sure you'll find it fine, especially if you're also doing those other subjects! Are there any topics in M1 you particularly despise? For me it's always been position vectors :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by CD223
Oh yeah you're perfectly right to switch if that's the case. I'm sure you'll find it fine, especially if you're also doing those other subjects! Are there any topics in M1 you particularly despise? For me it's always been position vectors :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

It is resolving forces. That i always make mistakes in. Today and tomorrow i am just answering questions on all of the topics and then from thursday i am going to start doing past papers. I am pretty sure i am going to get 45% maximum in the first paper i do. Lol.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 58
It is resolving forces. That i always make mistakes in. Today and tomorrow i am just answering questions on all of the topics and then from thursday i am going to start doing past papers. I am pretty sure i am going to get 45% maximum in the first paper i do. Lol.

Posted from TSR Mobile

If you get 45% that's still a pass! You'll improve just have faith :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I am confused on question 5c on the jan 11 paper. How do you find speed from a velocity which is worked out in vectors.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending