The Student Room Group

Is IQ a good indicator of intellect?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by desdemonata
Got any proof for that?

Refer to my original post, and there's further research that people with higher IQs are likely to score higher in exams, especially in mathematics and to some extent in english. Less in art, however

Spoiler

Reply 41
Original post by LucienSorce
Anyway i take iq scores with a pinch of salt, intelligence is subjective

I fully appreciate your view and agree that intelligence is subjective, but make sure to consider all cases before overgeneralising :smile:
Reply 42
I have an IQ of 153. I take pride in knowing that I'm the smartest person in the room.
Reply 43
I got 119, which I understand isn't very high, but I have done quite well, I got an offer from Cambridge for a humanities subject. That sounds ridiculously arrogant so I'll just say I think it's because I'm awful at maths, spatial reasoning, dyslexic, dypraxic, and generally bad at everything IQ measures. The problem is it doesn't measure intelligence in Humanities-ee things, like (from my own case) the ability to think through a philosophical argument. It kind of measures basic intelligence - q&a stuff, but not anything complicated or substantial.

Perhaps I've just got a grudge :tongue:
Reply 44
Original post by Red one
I have an IQ of 153. I take pride in knowing that I'm the smartest person in the room.

As any intelligent person would say, prove it :smile: although I believe you haha

Original post by Diety
I got 119, which I understand isn't very high, but I have done quite well, I got an offer from Cambridge for a humanities subject. That sounds ridiculously arrogant so I'll just say I think it's because I'm awful at maths, spatial reasoning, dyslexic, dypraxic, and generally bad at everything IQ measures. The problem is it doesn't measure intelligence in Humanities-ee things, like (from my own case) the ability to think through a philosophical argument. It kind of measures basic intelligence - q&a stuff, but not anything complicated or substantial.

Perhaps I've just got a grudge :tongue:

Congratulations! I hope I'll be in your position next year. 119 is pretty high tbh and if you say you are bad at those things and score 119 I dare not to imagine how good your humanities is. And yes the ability to think through and write a logical and coherent argument is important yet not tested so that shows a flaw perhaps :P
no its not, ppl in mensa also make me lol
Reply 46
Original post by Omghacklol
Congratulations! I hope I'll be in your position next year. 119 is pretty high tbh and if you say you are bad at those things and score 119 I dare not to imagine how good your humanities is. And yes the ability to think through and write a logical and coherent argument is important yet not tested so that shows a flaw perhaps :P

Thanks very much :ahee: although I feel I should say I didn't meet the conditions of my offer (1 UMS off! :biggrin:) so I'm at Durham now - which is where I actually wanted to be (the department there is top in the UK), in fact I was just telling Cambridge I would not be accepting their offer when I found out I missed it :tongue: Sorry, always feel the need to tell that story, good luck to you for next year, and if it doesn't work out, Durham is the best anyway :wink:
My brain is constantly filled with weird, deep, outside-the-box thoughts, but I lack common sense and have terrible people skills. I'm so absorbed by my intense interests that my general knowledge can be pretty bad. Is that a sign of anything? My short term memory is terrible - in fact, as I'm typing this now, I just had something in my mind to be googled but I've already forgotten what it was! - and I have a lousy attention span, unless I'm reading about something that genuinely interests me.
(edited 10 years ago)
It is way to narrow and can be manipulated as can any other test, simply by studying the relevant test areas.
Reply 49
Original post by JamesTheCool
My brain is constantly filled with weird, deep, outside-the-box thoughts, but I lack common sense and have terrible people skills. I'm so absorbed by my intense interests that my general knowledge can be pretty bad. Is that a sign of anything? My short term memory is terrible - in fact, as I'm typing this now, I just had something in my mind to be googled but I've already forgotten what it was! - and I have a lousy attention span, unless I'm reading about something that genuinely interests me.

I'm quite like you in a sense :P
Reply 50
women/ minorities score higher = haha we knew all along, how you like me now, take that!

white people/ men score higher = lol IQ means nothing, social construct you racist sexist pig!
Reply 51
IQ is good for a starting place, but all of the exams etc. we all have to go through arn't really good at accuratly measuring someone's intilect for example education exams don't really test someone's subject knowleadge just their ability to regurgutate facts and figures
Reply 52
Original post by Red one

if that's true and from a proper IQ test, it's already huge. but for a woman it's lolhuge.

There are twice as many men with an IQ of 120-plus as there are women, there are 30 times the number of men with an IQ of 170-plus as there are women.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/education/higher/dr-paul-irwing-there-are-twice-as-many-men-as-women-with-an-iq-of-120plus-426321.html
Original post by mimi112
if that's true and from a proper IQ test, it's already huge. but for a woman it's lolhuge.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/education/higher/dr-paul-irwing-there-are-twice-as-many-men-as-women-with-an-iq-of-120plus-426321.html

It depends what test they took; mines 159 on the Cattell B scale which has a (I think) s.d of 24 so makes the results sound a lot more impressive than ones from say, a s.d 15 or 16 test (which are the ones people are more familiar with).
Original post by Omghacklol
Unsurprisingly, the strongest correlation between IQ and a subject is with mathematics so yes it would be very surprising. And the case with Richard Feynmann is surprising, 125 is not a bad score (top 5%ish still) but it's possible that the things tested in IQ tests are not exactly his cup of tea.

I'm quite shocked Feynman of all people had an IQ of only 125. He was an amazing mathematician, something he himself downplayed. He took the Putnam exam and obtained an unprecedented score, which at the time broke all previous records.

IQ is not a measure of intelligence. I've always seen it as a measure of mathematical aptitude, it doesn't really measure anything else.
Reply 55
viva, did you just delete a post or is the absinthe getting to me?

wtf how does everyone have a 150 IQ on here? it's like those threads with guys where no one is ever under 6'1'' and 9''.
Reply 56
First we'll have the wiki article on IQ just as a brief 'what it is, how is it measured etc.', I will highlight that even though many people are derisive about the reliability of Wikipedia that it is generally fairly to very reliable, particularly with regards to scientific subject. It also has a list of sources that you could use for further reading if interested.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intelligence_quotient

This paper seems to imply a correlation between IQ AND personality traits and some conventional measures of success (Lifetime earnings)
http://home.uchicago.edu/~mgensowski/research/Terman/Terman.pdf

This article, though not academic research, seems to second this - the opinion appears that though IQ helps, a high IQ by itself won't get you anywhere.
http://news.sciencemag.org/2011/04/what-does-iq-really-measure

This article also appears to say much the same thing, in that there is no one factor that will indicate a high intellect but IQ certainly is one of them amongst many others.
http://www.ctvnews.ca/health/health-headlines/iq-as-a-measure-of-intelligence-is-a-myth-says-western-u-team-1.1085753

And the other side...
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2250681/IQ-tests-meaningless-simplistic-claim-researchers.html
However, this seems to dismiss IQ as even factoring into the equation, though this source is rather well known for its sensationalisation...

My personal conclusion is that ceteris paribus, a higher IQ will in general indicate a higher intellect.
Reply 57
Original post by Red one

The internet is full of sham tests, which test did you take?
Personally I think it's BS as it's mostly related to theory and I'd consider that a waste, if you're not practically minded then you're an idiot also I place more emphasis on common sense than anything.
Reply 59
Original post by Freier._.lance
I'm quite shocked Feynman of all people had an IQ of only 125. He was an amazing mathematician, something he himself downplayed. He took the Putnam exam and obtained an unprecedented score, which at the time broke all previous records.

IQ is not a measure of intelligence. I've always seen it as a measure of mathematical aptitude, it doesn't really measure anything else.

Madonna has a quotient of 140

Quick Reply

Latest