The Student Room Group

Anybody doing/did A2 Political Ideologies?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by xxvine
yooo lot are smarty pants lol

i need your brain
I'm doing the ideologies exam...dreading it

anybody know how to structure the exam?

its less about intelligence and more about making sure your answer is presented how the examiner wants it to be.

i don't follow a clear structure. just make sure you spend 1 minute per mark. the timings are important.

and make sure you consistently do for/against

'to what extent
'how far do you agree

etc.

always recognise the counter argument.
Original post by Law-Hopeful

Congrats on Bristol, they're awesome for Law! Is that a contextual offer? A few of my friends got AAB from Bristol for going to a sixth form in the bottom 40% of the country or something :tongue:

You did great, you beat me anyway! Yeah I feel the same, although I haven't revised for Politics in a while :s-smilie:

Thanks, same to you! :smile:

Yeah Bristol is the best outside Oxbridge/LSE/UCL imho (joint with Durham probably). I turn 20 just before September, I would have reapplied to Cambridge or LSE next year, but I'm too old to take another year out !

I got the contextual offer for the same reasons. My sixth form is really bad. 3% of students got A grades, UK national average is 26% lol

Also, it's a good idea to follow the news with UKIP/EU elections, especially for nationalism and multiculturalism.
Original post by goonermk
Yeah Bristol is the best outside Oxbridge/LSE/UCL imho (joint with Durham probably). I turn 20 just before September, I would have reapplied to Cambridge or LSE next year, but I'm too old to take another year out !

I got the contextual offer for the same reasons. My sixth form is really bad. 3% of students got A grades, UK national average is 26% lol

Also, it's a good idea to follow the news with UKIP/EU elections, especially for nationalism and multiculturalism.

I completely agree, I'd say joint 5th with King's personally (I'm not a big fan of Durham, not sure why).

Oh wow that is pretty bad haha, how can I find my sixth form's statistics for that? Mine are probably similarly bad.

Yeah true, if UKIP do well we can use that to support our arguments about emerging importance of understanding nationalism/multiculturalism etc or something along those lines.

I think we should start making exam predictions and going through some exam questions with how we'd answer them on here soon, hopefully more people would join! :smile:
Original post by Law-Hopeful
I completely agree, I'd say joint 5th with King's personally (I'm not a big fan of Durham, not sure why).

Oh wow that is pretty bad haha, how can I find my sixth form's statistics for that? Mine are probably similarly bad.

Yeah true, if UKIP do well we can use that to support our arguments about emerging importance of understanding nationalism/multiculturalism etc or something along those lines.

I think we should start making exam predictions and going through some exam questions with how we'd answer them on here soon, hopefully more people would join! :smile:

Hehe, I don't rate Durham that highly either tbh, but I know a lot of people do. As for King's, I was rejected by King's and then given an offer which was very.. confusing ! As a Londoner, I wanted to experience a new city, and chose Bristol.

Can't tell you about the exam results though, sorry. The local guardian published them on results day

http://www.yourlocalguardian.co.uk/news/10613654.LIVE__A_level_results_in_Merton/

They might have something like this for your area ?

Yeah, working through questions sounds good ! I'll probably posting in this thread a lot more from june 3-13th, as my last exam before politics is june 3rd.

For now, I am making some notes on politics and going through the text book.
Original post by goonermk
Hehe, I don't rate Durham that highly either tbh, but I know a lot of people do. As for King's, I was rejected by King's and then given an offer which was very.. confusing ! As a Londoner, I wanted to experience a new city, and chose Bristol.

Can't tell you about the exam results though, sorry. The local guardian published them on results day

http://www.yourlocalguardian.co.uk/news/10613654.LIVE__A_level_results_in_Merton/

They might have something like this for your area ?

Yeah, working through questions sounds good ! I'll probably posting in this thread a lot more from june 3-13th, as my last exam before politics is june 3rd.

For now, I am making some notes on politics and going through the text book.

That is rather strange! Fair enough, I have some friends who went to Bristol's summer school and they said it was a great city and uni so you should have a great time.

My first exam is on the 3rd :afraid: (economics) so I'm not sure how my TSR activity will vary from then haha.

Fair enough, I'm catching up on my Economics notes then revising for that then after 3rd June probably spend a lot more time on Politics. :smile:
Reply 65
I'm also doing the exam! I've been revising for a good two/three months now but I still need to clarify unit 4 a bit more.

Seriously need to do well in both to ensure I get to university hahaha!
Reply 66
Original post by Ksargent
I'm also doing the exam! I've been revising for a good two/three months now but I still need to clarify unit 4 a bit more.

Seriously need to do well in both to ensure I get to university hahaha!

your learning all 4 ideologies?
Reply 67
Original post by xxvine
your learning all 4 ideologies?

Im considering it but my emphasis will be on 3 with a brief overview of the last just in case the paper really is that bad. I'd say I'll also do the same for unit 3.

Quick Reply

Latest