The Student Room Group

'Simple' statics question

Good Evening everyone
I have a quick question which I really starting to get me confused, but it looked really easy. All struts are connected by a pivot ( where the red circle is) my problem is I need to find a reaction forces at the bores of the pivot point. I tried method of joints but I didn't get very far. I really would appreciate any help from you guys.
Rafal
WP_20140105_001.jpg
Original post by RafalS
Good Evening everyone
I have a quick question which I really starting to get me confused, but it looked really easy. All struts are connected by a pivot ( where the red circle is) my problem is I need to find a reaction forces at the bores of the pivot point. I tried method of joints but I didn't get very far. I really would appreciate any help from you guys.
Rafal
WP_20140105_001.jpg

I might be missing something, but why are there no diagonal struts?

The loads can't transfer to the other vertical lines as they're all 90 degrees I assume.
Reply 2
Original post by TheGrinningSkull
I might be missing something, but why are there no diagonal struts?

The loads can't transfer to the other vertical lines as they're all 90 degrees I assume.

thank you for your reply. yes there is not any diagonal struts maybe i have explained problem incorrectly. What this is supposed to represent is parallel bogie, found in the Crab mars rover such as this
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yoJa0KOemxk
Original post by RafalS
thank you for your reply. yes there is not any diagonal struts maybe i have explained problem incorrectly. What this is supposed to represent is parallel bogie, found in the Crab mars rover such as this

Ahh, interesting, do you have any theory from lectures on this sort of problem?
I personally haven't tackled this so don't know where to start :L
Reply 4
Original post by RafalS
Good Evening everyone
Rafal
WP_20140105_001.jpg

Well, in this situation, the whole thing would be moving, right? At the very first moment, you wouldn't have any forces in any joint, there is no way of transferring forces from the vertical to the horizontal struts.
Original post by RafalS

So, am I right in thinking that it's supposed to represent one half of the mechanism on each side of the rover - so each of the 50N reactions is a wheel?

If so then the representation you've drawn isn't quite right. Line AEC is actually a beam which happens to be pinned to member EF at its centre - but, crucially, a bending moment is still transferred from AE to EC. Similar at BFD. This means that each of these beams spans between A/B and C/D supporting the load at E/F. Half of the force will be carried by each beam.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending