The Student Room Group

Aeronautical engineering at Glasgow

Hello, I was just wondering if anyone from glasgow university that has done aeronautical engineering could tell me what it was like? (Enjoyable or not?)
Reply 1
yes me too i have applied for the same subject in glascow uni, but i dont know have any info yet about that uni..
I'm current at the Uni doing aeronautical (only first year tho).
Course is good. There are 9 subjects you take in first year over 2 semesters:
Semester1

Analogue Electronics 10%
Aerospace Engineering 10%
Engineering Skills 10% (over semester1&2)
Statics 10%
Materials 10%
Engineering maths (40% over 2 semesters)

Semester 2:

Dynamics 10%
Thermodynamics 10%
Design and Manufacture 10%

I'm sure you'll find a subject you won't like but I'm sure you'll pull though.

Obviously as first years your are just getting the basics of everything so you won't be exactly designing aeroplanes two weeks in (although in the Aerospace Engineering module you'll learn about flight, performance and space - briefly)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by munchen102
Semester1

Analogue Electronics 10%
Statics 10%
Materials 10%

Semester 2:

Dynamics 10%
Thermodynamics 10%

Obviously as first years your are just getting the basics of everything so you won't be exactly designing aeroplanes two weeks in (although in the Aerospace Engineering module you'll learn about flight, performance and space - briefly)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you
What made you chose this course from say, doing aero mechanical engineering at Strathclyde?
Does it matter that I haven't done practical techy subjects since forever? Or is the course more focused on theory?
Original post by cstark488
Thank you
What made you chose this course from say, doing aero mechanical engineering at Strathclyde?
Does it matter that I haven't done practical techy subjects since forever? Or is the course more focused on theory?

We'll I preferred a who aeronautical course to a mech with aero, and also a family me ever who done mechanical engineering at Strathclyde said that aero at Glasgow was better than Strathclyde, while Mechanical was better at Strathclyde. Also I personally think Glasgow has a better reputation than Strathclyde but that's just personal.

You don't really start making things in first year and everything you do need to know will be taught. There are labs related to there relative subjects and they're similar to labs you'd do at school (just better) and there are a few where u have to physically use a saw to cut steel or whatever but they're all pretty easy

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Semester1

Analogue Electronics 10%
Statics 10%
Materials 10%

Semester 2:

Dynamics 10%
Thermodynamics 10%

Posted from TSR Mobile

I am looking to apply to aeronautical engineering or aerospace engineering but I can't tell the difference. Do you have any idea the difference between the 2?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by bigboateng
I am looking to apply to aeronautical engineering or aerospace engineering but I can't tell the difference. Do you have any idea the difference between the 2?

Posted from TSR Mobile

They're basically the sales aerospace involves everything like space crafts, aeroplanes, satellites etc but aeronautical is more of a study of aircraft. But in the first few years you will study basically the same modules but in general there pretty similar

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
I'm in my 4th year of Aero at Glasgow and must say I am thoroughly disillusioned with the whole course. Just over a year till I finish though not that I am counting :wink:. However, this is just my personal feeling and there are plenty of people on the course who do enjoy it.

I find the course is particularly this year ridiculously theoretical delving into topics that cannot be practically realised and I find this quite grating. In my opinion I feel the department is poorly run although speaking with friends doing other courses in a variety of universities that in fact many others are similarly bad.

There are some good points, namely the projects and propulsion classes both of which I find extremely interesting. The aerodynamics courses can be good if you get the right lecturer, get the wrong one and it becomes the most difficult subject in the world. I do Aeronautical but this year we got to pick an elective so I picked Space Flight Dynamics this was another good course so certainly in the case of Glasgow Uni there is the option for a little bit of space study even though its not called Aerospace.

Feel free to ask any questions you like.
Reply 8
Original post by cal234ey
I'm in my 4th year of Aero at Glasgow and must say I am thoroughly disillusioned with the whole course. Just over a year till I finish though not that I am counting :wink:. However, this is just my personal feeling and there are plenty of people on the course who do enjoy it.

I find the course is particularly this year ridiculously theoretical delving into topics that cannot be practically realised and I find this quite grating. In my opinion I feel the department is poorly run although speaking with friends doing other courses in a variety of universities that in fact many others are similarly bad.

There are some good points, namely the projects and propulsion classes both of which I find extremely interesting. The aerodynamics courses can be good if you get the right lecturer, get the wrong one and it becomes the most difficult subject in the world. I do Aeronautical but this year we got to pick an elective so I picked Space Flight Dynamics this was another good course so certainly in the case of Glasgow Uni there is the option for a little bit of space study even though its not called Aerospace.

ive heard the aero dept. Isnt the same as it used to be. I like the idea that its mainly theory but I think being more practically able would help in a workplace more. Like in strathclyde, practical plays a bigger part than in glasgow. So why did you pick glasgow over strath?
Reply 9
I never realised Strathclyde actually offered a Mech with Aero degree at the time I applied. I would never have applied for it anyway as I had/have no desire to study Mech at all.

There are changes being made to the department and I think it probably is slowly getting better but it is still a really slow process. There are other things which continue to operate seemingly without intent to change despite the fact they are appalling.
Reply 10
I'd like to do aero mech at strath or aero at glasgow.... considering the rep of glasgows aero dept right now and the quality of strathclydes teaching curriculum... what one should I pick starting this year?

As a fourth year, is there as many drop outs as the say? They keep hammering home the 1 in 4 drop out rate but what is your experience of this? Is this due to the difficulty or just that people changed/disliked the course?
Also, in your experience who would you say is the 'worst lecturer' you've had ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
As a fourth year, is there as many drop outs as the say? They keep hammering home the 1 in 4 drop out rate but what is your experience of this? Is this due to the difficulty or just that people changed/disliked the course?
Also, in your experience who would you say is the 'worst lecturer' you've had ?

Posted from TSR Mobile

It is an awful lot more than 1 in 4 drop out. Whether they leave by choice or are made to leave after results/re-sits I am unsure. I would say we are down to roughly 50 of our original 100 and a few lecturers have commented that this is quite a large number of students for a 4th year aero class. I think it is more to do with the level of difficulty than disliking it. I don't think there was that big a drop out rate between 1st and 2nd year.

I wouldn't like to name names on a public forum but it is clear that one stands out in the department that everybody will agree is the worst by a distance and nobody can fathom how he has retained his job this long.
It is an awful lot more than 1 in 4 drop out. Whether they leave by choice or are made to leave after results/re-sits I am unsure. I would say we are down to roughly 50 of our original 100 and a few lecturers have commented that this is quite a large number of students for a 4th year aero class. I think it is more to do with the level of difficulty than disliking it. I don't think there was that big a drop out rate between 1st and 2nd year.

I wouldn't like to name names on a public forum but it is clear that one stands out in the department that everybody will agree is the worst by a distance and nobody can fathom how he has retained his job this long.

Do you know anyone in your class who has studied a year or 6 months abroad? I am looking into this for 3rd year but I see there is like group projects for the full year? I emailed my AoS a while ago but I'm sure they don't reply to first years haha.

Also, how big a jump is there from first to second year, and from second to third? I have heard in general that 2 to 3 is a lot harder

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 14
Do you know anyone in your class who has studied a year or 6 months abroad? I am looking into this for 3rd year but I see there is like group projects for the full year? I emailed my AoS a while ago but I'm sure they don't reply to first years haha.

Also, how big a jump is there from first to second year, and from second to third? I have heard in general that 2 to 3 is a lot harder

Posted from TSR Mobile

I know two people who went to LA for the full year. They loved it but are still waiting for grades to be converted to the equivalent value at Glasgow. They did say the course was much tougher over there though.

Third year is a lot more difficult than second year. However, if you put in the work its not a problem. I put in a lot of work and my best set of grades so far came in third year.
I know two people who went to LA for the full year. They loved it but are still waiting for grades to be converted to the equivalent value at Glasgow. They did say the course was much tougher over there though.

Third year is a lot more difficult than second year. However, if you put in the work its not a problem. I put in a lot of work and my best set of grades so far came in third year.

Good, thanks for the reply!

When did u start applying for placements and internships etc? I think 1st year is a bit early but if like to see when other people started applying

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 16
Good, thanks for the reply!

When did u start applying for placements and internships etc? I think 1st year is a bit early but if like to see when other people started applying

Posted from TSR Mobile

I only started applying just before Christmas last year. I think it is highly unlikely you will get one until 3rd year and even then internships are notoriously difficult to get. As it stands, it looks unlikely that I will get one before I finish uni.
I only started applying just before Christmas last year. I think it is highly unlikely you will get one until 3rd year and even then internships are notoriously difficult to get. As it stands, it looks unlikely that I will get one before I finish uni.

Are u on track for the BEng or MEng? Have u applied for jobs and how is that going?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 18
Are u on track for the BEng or MEng? Have u applied for jobs and how is that going?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm on the MEng course, you split at the end of third year. Not applied for jobs yet that will be around about Christmas 2014 as I should be graduating in June 2015. I have applied for placements, got a few rejections but not heard back at all from most of them.
I'm on the MEng course, you split at the end of third year. Not applied for jobs yet that will be around about Christmas 2014 as I should be graduating in June 2015. I have applied for placements, got a few rejections but not heard back at all from most of them.

Nice one! Good luck and thanks for answering my questions!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest