The Student Room Group

Cryptocurrencies, have you invested?

Firstly, I haven't the hardware to efficiently mine any coins.

But I have made the decision to finally invest £1000 of my hard earned cash into the currency. I understand its an incredibly volatile market, and could even crash at any moment. However, there is outstanding potential for profit.

I think my spread will be as follows:

£500 into BTC (1 bitcoin)

£250 into LTC (about 17 litecoins)

£125 into Peercoin

£125 into Quarks

Considering others

Anyone have experience with dealing in this sector of the interwebz?
Original post by Le Papillon

But I have made the decision to finally invest £1000 of my hard earned cash into the currency. I understand its an incredibly volatile market, and could even crash at any moment. However, there is outstanding potential for profit.

£125 into Peercoin

£125 into Quarks

Considering others

Very, very foolish idea. You clearly don't understand just how volatile it is.

Yes, there is the chance of a high pay off, as is the way with any volatile market but similarly, the risk you're taking is extremely high, so investing small amounts that you're willing to lose is fine but I wouldn't risk large amounts. It may well work out for you but it could just as easily go the other way, I wouldn't say the odds are any better than 50/50.

Let me ask you, if we were to flip a coin and you double your money if you won and lost everything if you lost. Would you still invest £500? If your answer is yes, then continue, if no, then perhaps you should really re-evaluate the risk in your investment, rather than being blinded by the potential upside.
Reply 2
Original post by You Failed
Very, very foolish idea. You clearly don't understand just how volatile it is.

Yes, there is the chance of a high pay off, as is the way with any volatile market but similarly, the risk you're taking is extremely high, so investing small amounts that you're willing to lose is fine but I wouldn't risk large amounts. It may well work out for you but it could just as easily go the other way, I wouldn't say the odds are any better than 50/50.

Let me ask you, if we were to flip a coin and you double your money if you won and lost everything if you lost. Would you still invest £500? If your answer is yes, then continue, if no, then perhaps you should really re-evaluate the risk in your investment, rather than being blinded by the potential upside.

The BTC investment is actually somewhat stable.

It is the other currencies that are hugely unstable and hence have a lower investment.
Reply 3

£125 into Peercoin

£125 into Quarks

Considering others

idiotic price lol

i paid £250 for mine a few weeks back , brought 3 ish, sold 1
Reply 4
Original post by rickfloss
idiotic price lol

i paid £250 for mine a few weeks back , brought 3 ish, sold 1

You realise that prices change, right?
The BTC investment is actually somewhat stable.

It is the other currencies that are hugely unstable and hence have a lower investment.

Bitcoin is not stable whatsoever. I don't know what planet you're living on to think that. It's seen three notable crashes in the last year, with the most recent being only a couple of weeks ago when the price plummeted almost 50%. If you think that's stable then I don't know what to say.
Nope, although I wish I had earlier- regardless of stability I could have cashed in by now and be much better off.
Reply 7
You realise that prices change, right?

youve missed the point completely!
Reply 8
I invested £1200 into litecoin when it was $1/coin - mining hardware. Made a lot of money recently. Wait for the prices to fall more and just put your money into Litecoin. Then hold on.
Reply 9

£125 into Peercoin

£125 into Quarks

Considering others

Pretty much all investments are a balance of Risk against potential income. The higher the potential income the higher the risk.

For the likes of Bitcoin it''s reasonably well established and the general trend might be up but there could be short term dips as and it's possible something happens that makes it worthless very quickly.

There are also other risks to consider. Ie how secure is your bitcoin key. Backed up ? Securely ? (what happens if someone get's access to your dropbox account and your bitcoin key via that ?, or someone breaks into your house takes your laptop and the external drive next to it with the backup on it?)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending