The Student Room Group

Would money buy you happiness?

Scroll to see replies

I do not think money buys happiness but it enables it

I am already happy - but occasionally money causes me worry - so no money worries would allow me to enjoy my happiness
Money doesnt necessarily buy happiness but a lack of money certainly can make you unhappy. When you have enough to not worry about having to pay your bills, food, and some money for recreation then you eliminate a lot of sources of unhappiness.
Reply 22
Being broke and poor is stressful. Money wouldn't buy happiness, but at least I wouldn't have to worry about living to an exact budget of £20 every week.
Reply 23
Money wouldn't make me happy, but I'd much rather cry in a Ferrari.

Honestly? A shopping spree of epic proportions would probably cheer me for a little while if I felt a bit sad.
Reply 24
I would be a million times happier, anyone that says that money makes you miserable is full of ****.
Original post by syrettd
Money wouldn't make me happy, but I'd much rather cry in a Ferrari.

Honestly? A shopping spree of epic proportions would probably cheer me for a little while if I felt a bit sad.

when your unhappiness become resistant to your shopping spree distraction, it will undoubtedly lead you to taking drugs.

how about actually dealing with your unhappiness instead of letting it fester inside you.
Reply 26
Original post by Maths and cheesecake
when your unhappiness become resistant to your shopping spree distraction, it will undoubtedly lead you to taking drugs.

how about actually dealing with your unhappiness instead of letting it fester inside you.

I wouldn't even know where to buy drugs, so the chances of me taking them is pretty unlikely. Anyway, I have cancer and they make me see a counsellor before all of my chemo sessions so if I get unhappy, there's something I can do about it. I'm pretty happy though :tongue:
Original post by Huskaris
I would be a million times happier, anyone that says that money makes you miserable is full of ****.

true, you're right, that are some people who are so utterly ****ed and unhappy that they can't even admit that they are unhappy and desperately in need of the money remedy, these people are prone to suicide, self-loathing etc, of course they want the money, they just having hard time admitting it.

but then there are people like yourself, who have a large amount of unhappiness deposited in them, you're not that afraid to admit it so you openly profess that you like lots and lots of money.

others who are not that unhappy, will be completely uninterested in this thread, unless they are plagued by the condition of curiosity. :tongue:
Reply 28
Original post by Maths and cheesecake
true, you're right, that are some people who are so utterly ****ed and unhappy that they can't even admit that they are unhappy and desperately in need of the money remedy, these people are prone to suicide, self-loathing etc, of course they want the money, they just having hard time admitting it.

but then there are people like yourself, who have a large amount of unhappiness deposited in them, you're not that afraid to admit it so you openly profess that you like lots and lots of money.

others who are not that unhappy, will be completely uninterested in this thread, unless they are plagued by the condition of curiosity. :tongue:

Haha I am happy and have next to no money! But I would be happier if I had more!
Reply 29
Yes, I could move away and live in a beautiful area, I won't be stressed about my future, I could spend my time doing what I loved and help multiple charities. Why wouldn't I be happy?
Reply 30
As they say, it doesn't buy happiness but a more comfortable class of misery.

If I'm honest, if I won millions, I would probably end up dead. I'd end up off my head on coke, throwing all the money away and descending into madness. Have done that already after only winning £15k so a million or more would probably finish me off.

Original post by xoxAngel_Kxox

I would say that having a small amount of money (well, small in relation to a euromillions win, anyway) would certainly help me at the moment. I feel like I'm in a constant state of "waiting", as we're wanting to buy a flat to let out, and then get a mortgage on a house (we almost have enough to buy a flat outright, and the added rental income would improve our mortgage potential) and I just think that a small amount could skip an awful lot of waiting around. If I got £20,000 it would be enough to buy and let the flat, including legal fees, and it would leave me with about £16,000 as a deposit on a house (which I could add to every time we got rent in for the flat, plus still putting wages aside).

Basically, with just £20k, I could be absolutely sure that within perhaps a year I could be set up in a little house, which is something I really, really want to do. But I'm not saying it would buy happiness, because other things still go on, it would just make it a little bit easier to get along with things and cut out a slight bit of waiting in the middle.

Surely with only £4k short of cash to buy a flat outright, you could just skip that and get the house first rather than waiting around to save up £20k (although if you have the cash to buy a flat, I am guessing you can save £20k pretty quickly!)
Original post by Jay84
Surely with only £4k short of cash to buy a flat outright, you could just skip that and get the house first rather than waiting around to save up £20k (although if you have the cash to buy a flat, I am guessing you can save £20k pretty quickly!)

Well, I've been saving up for several years, and I mean REALLY saving up - working as much as possible with next to no social life. And the flat I want is only £40k, I live in a cheap area (but the flats are really nice, just built at the wrong time).

Getting a mortgage is the tricky bit for me, being self employed. Having the income from a buy to let property would give me the stability I need to be able to borrow - that, plus my partner's salary should be enough just to get me the deal.

I'm on a good wage, but because it's all split between many different clients there's no guarantee that they will keep coming back, and as far as the banks are concerned I'm a huge risk unless I get some stable income!
Reply 32
Original post by xoxAngel_Kxox

Getting a mortgage is the tricky bit for me, being self employed. Having the income from a buy to let property would give me the stability I need to be able to borrow - that, plus my partner's salary should be enough just to get me the deal.

I'm on a good wage, but because it's all split between many different clients there's no guarantee that they will keep coming back, and as far as the banks are concerned I'm a huge risk unless I get some stable income!

You'd have thought having all the extra cash in an extra flat would make you much less likely to get a mortgage on a house afterwards though surely? I mean if you can put a decent deposit down on a house then your laughing with a mortgage cos there is no risk. They probably won't make as big a deal about you being self employed as you think - out of the friends I have that have mortgages, most are self employed - many have either bad or little credit history from dealing in cash too. Banks didn't care as long as they see statements and the deposit was enough.

Owning a flat at that level probably won't be more stable than your existing income either (at least not in the view of the banks). Even if you keep it full, you'll have the risk of tenants that get into months of arrears and then sod off, repairs etc.
(edited 10 years ago)
It would make me happier. Would do what ever I want at all time. Could have pet dogs...I really want a dog.
Reply 34
Money buys you freedom and/or temporary satisfaction, which can lead to happy moments.

Happiness isn't a constant state of being, and it's certainly not a commodity to be bought (or sold).
Yes. Not to sound bad or anything, but I know I'd be really happy to have an infinite supply of money. You wouldn't have to work for anyone, debts would not worry you, you have the freedom to live as large or as little as you want. IMO, money does buy happiness.

Quick Reply

Latest