The Student Room Group

Living in China, ask away.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Stevenishungover
You are taring everyone with the same brush. I am in no way at a "dead-end" as you say, and as far as salary goes I can't speak for all teachers but I definitely make more than minimum wage. However money is of no concern to me, if money was my only goal I would have taken a high salary job but ultimately be depressed or bored.

I left the UK because of a few personal reasons but the major reason being that the UK is so boring. The girls are mostly boring and generally quite slutty. I don't plan on returning to the UK to live anytime soon, I enjoy my life here, I want for nothing and i'm very happy with my job.

If all I wanted from life was a boring, repetitive, stupidly high salary job, and as many stupid bimbo sluts that I can handle I would ofc live in the UK. Here I like the challenge.

You seriously need to step off your high horse.

Ooops!

Your response loses credibility here.

Nevertheless, how difficult is it to find a teaching job in China, would you recommend a CELTA?
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
So stating all UK girls are sluts is fine now? :confused:

Sorry that was a bad play on words on my part. I should have said in my experience (I thought was implied but if not I apologise)

Original post by EarthlingyThingy
Moving away from the vile tone of the tread above.

Is Chinese food in any way comparable to the 'Chinese' takeaways we get in the UK? (I mean the average street mill, not a posh one).

:smile:

Absolutely not, from what I know western Chinese takeways are mainly Cantonese in style with a western twist. My family has a Chinese restaurant in the UK and originally from HK so I know a little. You can get very similar stuff here if you want to compare to UK Chinese restaurants here. Some things are similar but mostly very very different. (although I have not lived in HK so I cant with full certainty say) What I can say is 100% real Chinese food is a million miles different from our western perception.

Original post by Phillipsherman
Ooops!

Your response loses credibility here.

Nevertheless, how difficult is it to find a teaching job in China, would you recommend a CELTA?

Sorry, but to address the points you highlighted, What I should have said was in my own personal experience I have met/dated a lot of stupid girls. My second part being if I wanted to earn let's say 30-70k per year (mainly dependent on job and commitment) and it be way easier for me to pick up girls than here then I would live in the UK.

It is relatively easy to find a job teaching in China with the right contacts and I am not fully aware of the CELTA program. All I know of/hear about is Tesl/Tefl but im my own personal experience its not the be all/ end all of anything. Obviously it helps but simply having that does not mean you can do the job or should be allowed to do the job.
Original post by AlphaNick
What part of China do you live in? I went to Beijing on a school exchange, and considering I've studied Mandarin at school I think it would be interesting to live there for a few years after university or a part of the course.

I live in Guandong Provence quite close to HK about maybe 3 hours away, I recommend this life/job to anyone if they can handle it. The job/culture/language is the main problems. If you can speak a moderate level of Mandarin/Cantonese (depending on where you live) you will have no problem.

Aslong as you (A love kids (if they put you in a kindergarten, which is most likely) B) have patience.... teaching takes time, it can be frustrating but just be patient C) Be very open to the culture/language/lifestlye.
Original post by Stevenishungover
Sorry that was a bad play on words on my part. I should have said in my experience (I thought was implied but if not I apologise)

No probs, just defending the British women folk, or as some morons like to say white knighting, do I get a kiss for that? (from the women of TSR not you, I assume you're a guy :tongue:)

Just ignore Darth for gods sake, he is obviously trolling.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Kolya
Singapore is the second most dense country in the world, after Monaco. China is far down the list, far less population dense than countries like the UK, Italy and Germany.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_sovereign_states_and_dependent_territories_by_population_density

Sorry, let me clarify - I was not talking about China overall, but rather the most populated cities. I should have made myself clearer, but anyway it's just way too crowded. ><

The outlying regions of China are practically empty, and the rural-urban migration means that a lot of villages or really small towns are getting even less populated. And where do these people go to for jobs? All the crazily overpopulated cities with terrible pollution issues, and overpopulation just makes living conditions even worse than they already are.

This migration also affects Singapore, unfortunately, because a lot of China nationals (many migrants from India, Philippines and Indonesia too) come here on work permits and end up staying here indefinitely. We have it pretty bad here, because almost half of the population isn't even native anymore. :frown: I'm not against migration, but if it's overdone it's just quite miserable for all parties involved.

Ironically, because of the mass migration of foreigners into Singapore, I think I'm going to migrate and be a foreigner elsewhere instead.
What kind of food do they actually eat? I'm assuming it's nothing like British "Chinese" food?
Original post by AmeliaJessica
What kind of food do they actually eat? I'm assuming it's nothing like British "Chinese" food?

No, not at all. They eat lots of things some would make you think 'Yuck' but different culture and all. Well basically everything revolves around rice obviously. They usually have big meals with the food all spread round and everyone shares from it or just 1 big tray say a 30lb fish or whatever. The main problem I have with it is, it all contains bones, so it's just a hassle eating it sometimes. Some weird things i've eaten/seen include Pigeon,Pigs head, Chickens feet, Duck's neck, Dog probably some rat or cat thrown in there also. I don't mind most of it i'l try anything once. It's not as bad as you would think.
Reply 67
Original post by salmasalmass
Were to go?

Im going to China around June/July times for 2 weeks. I went to Beijing last year which wa amazing but this year I want something a bit different.

Basically my options are Shanghai, Nanjing or Guangzhou ( I'll go Hongkong while in Guangzhou).

I wanted your opinion on we're to go if I want like a little culture like in Beijing but more city like Shanghai.

I though Guangzhou might be good cause it has like a mix a both, I wasnt sure about Shanghai cause I heard there kinda rude there and there not much culture. This is just based on opinions I googled.

Help????

Posted from TSR Mobile

You really may reconsider the southern cities like Nanjing, it gets incredibly humid and it is well known for 40+ degrees out there. I'm Chinese and have travelled a lot in China, in the summer months, due to the topography of the land, the weather southern provinces are really testing to ones health.
Shanghai is most definitely a bustling city but I have found to be more modern rather than full of culture. Have you thought of going to more rural ares?
Reply 68
Really impressed when someone takes the step you have, gone somewhere new and tried to do something for yourself.

What did you study at Uni?

I'm in my final year, doing Ed Studies, but after my placement, I have no desire to be a teacher in England anymore. I'm moving to Aus for a bit in May to give that a go, but what you've done really interests me. Did you have previous teaching experience prior to going over?
Reply 69
Have you eaten/come across any genitalia dishes?
Original post by dbcampbell
Really impressed when someone takes the step you have, gone somewhere new and tried to do something for yourself.

What did you study at Uni?

I'm in my final year, doing Ed Studies, but after my placement, I have no desire to be a teacher in England anymore. I'm moving to Aus for a bit in May to give that a go, but what you've done really interests me. Did you have previous teaching experience prior to going over?

Yea, man if your interested fire away any questions i'l try my best to answer. I would definitely recommend it to anyone who is open minded and looking for an adventure. I must admit I didn't have any formal 'teaching' experience in the UK, I have worked with kids and have always been surrounded by them so it's not something new but in a formal classroom setting no, not really. It' is not 100% required for previous teaching experience although it helps a lot and will probably get you a higher pay job at the start anyway. The problem is they have so much demand for foreign teachers and not enough to supply them. The main countries they want are obviously UK,USA, Canada, Oz etc where the native language is English. However you do see a lot of Filipinos and people from other countries where it is not the native language this is due to the large demand and low supply.

Original post by No Man

Probably, hear no evil see no evil. I don't ask what it is, it's best that way.
Reply 71
Original post by No Man

I have! I didn't know what I was eating the first time, but it turned out to be ram balls. I've also tried donkey schlong, which was surprisingly good!
Reply 72
I know you're not a travel agent or anything but.. I'm visiting China this May and going to Beijing, Shanghai and Ghangzhou (spelling?) and Hong Kong. Also some other places along the way. What would you recommend to do in China?
Original post by me0
I know you're not a travel agent or anything but.. I'm visiting China this May and going to Beijing, Shanghai and Ghangzhou (spelling?) and Hong Kong. Also some other places along the way. What would you recommend to do in China?

Wow that's quite a lot of places, how long you staying for?

I dunno what to say, i'm not a tourist so the touristy things appeal to me less, I would still like to go to some of them but i'm generally busy with other things in my life.

What I recommend is if you can somehow make friends do the normal Chinese stuff that they would do go out for a meal, generally speaking these are very big and last quite a long time with lots of beer, smoking, food & Baijiu (I don't know the English for it, sometimes translated as white wine, white liquor, rice wine, Chinese wine) its usually about 40-60% and will knock your socks off but when in Rome. Again if you can make the friends go out to a bar or a club its very different and a nice change from the UK.

I don't really know what to recommend.

My life bar work and relaxing at home time is spent Eating with friends, shopping, talking to girls, drinking beer in bars/clubs but I live here so my life is pretty routine now.

Basically the best way to experience China is with the Chinese to help you or show you things you might not have known about.
Reply 74
I grew up in China. Nice to see people so interested in Chinese culture. Also equally painful to read all the misconceptions and myths about it.

Lol at the pollution questions. Seriously guys it not even that bad, at all. My friend who went to China with me forgot about to so called pollution before I mentioned it because it is almost non existent.
Original post by me0

I'm living in China, I pretty much did this route for my 1 month holiday I had from work. What I can tell you is the cities are fine and there is lots to see and do, but places like Shanghai, Shenzhen, Beijing have a lot of western influence these days, in terms of bars and shops, so if they are something you want you won't have any problem there. But the thing is almost anything you see in the big cities is fake/rebuilt, even Beijing, the historical sites are nice, but everything is rebuilt (and badly) most of the time.

These are still pretty touristy places, but if you want to see more of 'real' China and things, then I suggest you take trips out to 'smaller' cities more in the country. Hangzhou, Nanjing and Suzhou all near shanghai have some interesting places, I'd suggest the mountains around Hangzhou.

Guilin is a place everyone should visit. And if you travel to west China these is much to do in Yunnan and Sichuan provinces, things like seeing Tibetan temples, Hiking, Jungles, small remote villages. But that would be hard unless you have someone who can speak chinese.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by KongShou
I grew up in China. Nice to see people so interested in Chinese culture. Also equally painful to read all the misconceptions and myths about it.

Lol at the pollution questions. Seriously guys it not even that bad, at all. My friend who went to China with me forgot about to so called pollution before I mentioned it because it is almost non existent.

I don't know where you were in China, but it certainly does exist, particularly north China, today is the first clear day we're having here for about a week now.

Here is a comparison picture I took a while ago 1498867_10152455976899251_2116285375_o.jpg

This is what it is like when the PM2.5 count is higher then 400, which is a lot more often in Tianjin and Beijing then it should be.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 77
Original post by Supertoaster

These are still pretty touristy places, but if you want to see more of 'real' China and things, then I suggest you take trips out to smaller cities more in the country. Hangzhou, Nanjing and Suzhou all near shanghai have some interesting places, I'd suggest the mountains around Hangzhou.

They're not small. Not even remotely. Each is probably the size of Yorkshire.
Reply 78
Original post by Supertoaster
I don't know where you were in China, but it certainly does exist, particularly north China, today is the first clear day we're having here for about a week now.

Here is a comparison picture I took a while ago 1498867_10152455976899251_2116285375_o.jpg

This is what it is like when the PM2.5 count is higher then 400, which is fairly often here in Tianjin and Beijing

Come on. The pic of the left appear more often than the pic on the right. It does exist im not denying that but its not like you cant breath and you have to wear an oxygen mask all the time. Also im from shenyang but ive also lived in Beijing for like 3 years when I was in primary school and I have never even heard of the word 雾霾 back then. I guess its simply worse now, although from when I went to Beijing last summer it wasn't too bad.

Also PM2.5 isnt that bad. it is currently 65 which is better than London. Currently. If it was over 400 all the time it wouldn't be safe to live in.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 79
Original post by Nerol
I have! I didn't know what I was eating the first time, but it turned out to be ram balls. I've also tried donkey schlong, which was surprisingly good!

Did you feel horny or hornier than usual after eating those delicacies? How was it cooked?

Original post by No Man

I have. Was a tiger's and urghhh one thing for sure after eating it you better not stand anywhere near a live tiger at a zoo.

Also had those of a bull. I had this in US though.

Quick Reply

Latest