The Student Room Group

Proper skincare!

Inspired by the thread on blackheads. Loads of people were suggesting things that are actually damaging to the skin, and I didn't want to seem like an ******* correcting everyone, so this thread will tell you what to do and what not to do.

Basic skincare:

Everyone needs a basic skincare routine. Everyone. No matter how good your skin is. This is just the bare minimum you should do.

Spoiler

The Korean Skincare routine:

This is for people looking for great skin. I'm not going to explain it all, google it if you're interested and you can find loads of info on it. Basically skin care can havve between 5-10 if not more steps to it, and it results in lovely skin. Here's what you do for a 6 step Korean Skincare routine. The other steps are optional depending on whether your skin needs it. You do this at night. In the morning, a simple cleanse, eye cream and moisturiser is enough.

Spoiler

How to exfoliate correctly:

So many people suggest using grains. NO DON'T. The grains are very harsh, and effectively scratch off your skin. You don't want to do that. It scratches the new skin underneath too.

Spoiler

MYTHS:

Spoiler

Other stuff

Spoiler

(edited 10 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
no thanks, rather just stick to washing my face wish soap :smile:
Original post by smd4std
no thanks, rather just stick to washing my face wish soap :smile:

That's really bad for your skin
Reply 3
Original post by Tyrion_Lannister
That's really bad for your skin

my skin says otherwise :u:
Original post by smd4std
my skin says otherwise :u:

That doesn't mean it's not bad for your skin. Just because you can't see the damage. Do what you want, but don't advise other people to do it when it's damaging
Reply 5
That doesn't mean it's not bad for your skin. Just because you can't see the damage. Do what you want, but don't advise other people to do it when it's damaging

i didn't advise anyone... what are you on about?
Reply 6
How is Garnier or LorealParis. Does their daily freshener or cleanser work well?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by smd4std
i didn't advise anyone... what are you on about?

On that other thread you were telling someone to wash their face with soap

Original post by foonami
How is Garnier or LorealParis. Does their daily freshener or cleanser work well?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Do you have links to the products? They have a lot of products, some will be okay some might have stuff in that's too harsh..
Reply 8
On that other thread you were telling someone to wash their face with soap

oh no what have i done
Reply 9
Each to their own. If someone wants to wash their skin with soap, let them. I don't think there's any right or wrong. People's skin are different and they'll find skincare that suits them best.
Original post by smd4std
oh no what have i done

Just don't give out bad advice

Original post by Acceptable
Each to their own. If someone wants to wash their skin with soap, let them. I don't think there's any right or wrong. People's skin are different and they'll find skincare that suits them best.

Yes skin is different, but there are some things that are bad for skin. Period.

http://www.healthkart.com/resources/3-reasons-shouldnt-soap-face/#.UslVOfRdWSo

http://blog.mariobadescu.com/washing-your-face/
The skin may not "breathe" but the principle behind it, is that spot-causing bacteria build up in certain conditions. Some like aerobic conditions (with oxygen) some like anaerobic (without oxygen). Anaerobic are generally harmful.
When people talk about letting skin "breathe" I think they mean let the air get to it, not actually let respiration occur :tongue:
Reply 13
So what product do you use to wash your face every morning?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I USE A LUSH CLEANSER AND I HOLD NO REGRETS MY FACE SMELLS SO NICE AFTERWARDS. EVERYONE DO IT

Toner is sexy too.
Original post by HairyCanary
The skin may not "breathe" but the principle behind it, is that spot-causing bacteria build up in certain conditions. Some like aerobic conditions (with oxygen) some like anaerobic (without oxygen). Anaerobic are generally harmful.

Original post by LekiPrzeciwzak
When people talk about letting skin "breathe" I think they mean let the air get to it, not actually let respiration occur :tongue:

That's why you cleanse it though :tongue:

Original post by foonami
So what product do you use to wash your face every morning?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I use this

http://www.boots.com/en/Botanics-All-Bright-Cleansing-Foam-Wash-150ml_1261977/

Agreed, but with some bacteria you can't combat it with cleansing alone/it's more effective to also allow oxygen to get to the skin.
Original post by chickenonsteroids
I USE A LUSH CLEANSER AND I HOLD NO REGRETS MY FACE SMELLS SO NICE AFTERWARDS. EVERYONE DO IT

Toner is sexy too.

Lush is amazing.
Original post by HairyCanary
Agreed, but with some bacteria you can't combat it with cleansing alone/it's more effective to also allow oxygen to get to the skin.

Any evidence for this? Not dsbelieving you, i just haven't heard this before, so I'm curious. As someone very interested in skincare, I genuinely want to see
Reply 19
I like how many chemicals you advise putting on your face.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest