The Student Room Group

advanced higher investigation (fats and oils)

For the advanced higher investigation I was going to caluculate the saturation of different cooking oils; however, one of my methods did not work.

Can anyone suggest a seond method (not using wijj's solution/iodine monochloride) to do this?
Original post by zebweb
For the advanced higher investigation I was going to caluculate the saturation of different cooking oils; however, one of my methods did not work.

Can anyone suggest a seond method (not using wijj's solution/iodine monochloride) to do this?

Easy enough to do it qualitatively. If that is the case you can go research that yourself....

If not, it's damn harder given the equipment you'll have available. You'll have to find a reagent that selectively reacts with the alkene unit to form a reactive group you can titrate against.
Reply 2
Original post by JMaydom
Easy enough to do it qualitatively. If that is the case you can go research that yourself....

If not, it's damn harder given the equipment you'll have available. You'll have to find a reagent that selectively reacts with the alkene unit to form a reactive group you can titrate against.

OK, thanks.

Quick Reply

Latest