The Student Room Group

Ways to increase FA Cup prestige

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by scriggy
Yes but that 64m is spread over 4 seasons I believe, whereas one more season in the Premier League is worth 63mil minimum. With the new TV deal relegation has never been more costly.

Anyway, what I came here to say was, the attendances for these semi final games have to give some weight to scrapping the league cup. There's, what, 35k max at City tonight? Poor.

SO many empty seats at Sunderland-United last night, too.

Sunderland have little chance of silverware (haven't won anything for years), could very well go down this year, are hosting the champions and there was still so much spare room. Really poor.
Original post by scriggy
Yes but that 64m is spread over 4 seasons I believe, whereas one more season in the Premier League is worth 63mil minimum. With the new TV deal relegation has never been more costly.

Anyway, what I came here to say was, the attendances for these semi final games have to give some weight to scrapping the league cup. There's, what, 35k max at City tonight? Poor.

Who do you support?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 62
Original post by Midlander
Who do you support?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Newcastle. Was meant to be a dig at the competition rather than City, though I'm pretty sure we'd sell out a league cup semi final.
Reply 63
Original post by Mackay

Sunderland have little chance of silverware (haven't won anything for years), could very well go down this year, are hosting the champions and there was still so much spare room. Really poor.

Yeah I was very surprised like. I don't know if it's because it's over two legs or what.
Original post by scriggy
Newcastle. Was meant to be a dig at the competition rather than City, though I'm pretty sure we'd sell out a league cup semi final.

I asked not because of the crowd but because of what you said on parachute payments-they give an obscene advantage to relegated clubs. Wolves in League 1 get £16m off that alone which is more than every other club's turnover and in the Championship the advantage is pretty big too-and the PL press ganged the League into accepting it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 65
Original post by Midlander
I asked not because of the crowd but because of what you said on parachute payments-they give an obscene advantage to relegated clubs. Wolves in League 1 get £16m off that alone which is more than every other club's turnover and in the Championship the advantage is pretty big too-and the PL press ganged the League into accepting it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ah right sorry.

Wolves are a bit of an exceptional circumstance though with their back to back relegations, and they're hardly nailed on for promotion even with the financial advantage.

I understand what you're saying though but to not have any payments would be financially crippling for the clubs involved. I don't know the exact stats but even with this 'obscene advantage' the clubs bouncing straight back from relegation to the championship and league one must be 1 in 3 at best.
Reply 66
Original post by Mackay

Saying Sunderland have little chance of silverware because we haven't won anything is nonsense.
Original post by scriggy
Ah right sorry.

Wolves are a bit of an exceptional circumstance though with their back to back relegations, and they're hardly nailed on for promotion even with the financial advantage.

I understand what you're saying though but to not have any payments would be financially crippling for the clubs involved. I don't know the exact stats but even with this 'obscene advantage' the clubs bouncing straight back from relegation to the championship and league one must be 1 in 3 at best.

Yes but what they're getting is too much. I'm not saying give relegated clubs nothing but £16m a season for 4 seasons is excessive and to intimidate the Football League into accepting it is especially poor.
Reply 68
Original post by Jjj90
Saying Sunderland have little chance of silverware because we haven't won anything is nonsense.

No they were two separate reasons - I just lazily placed them together.

You haven't won anything for ages.

You have very little chance of silverware (realistically League Cup is your best chance).
Reply 69
Bump.

Another way would be to get rid of this ridiculous five-day FA Cup week. Just go back to one big Saturday, with a few on the Sunday.
I like the idea of a final being on the evening tbh. I know people have said 3pm on a Saturday but I dunno.
Reply 71
Original post by Wilfred Little
I like the idea of a final being on the evening tbh. I know people have said 3pm on a Saturday but I dunno.

Isn't the same at the new Wembley anyway tbh.

It's about time both cup competitions were merged imo.
It's pretty prestigious already. Every football fan in the country is aware of cup final day, stadiums are generally full from the 5th round onwards, nearly 90k attend the semi-finals alone. No club in the country turns their nose up at the Cup, even the fans of one of the biggest clubs in the land got 100s of thousands onto the streets to celebrate winning it last season. Fans of big clubs like Spurs, Villa, Everton are fully aware that the Cup is their only realistic chance of glory. Arsenal and Liverpool are 2 of the big 3 of England and between them theyve won nothing more than a single cup between them since 2005 so it's not like it's a trivial achievement to win it.

Not entirely sure what is achieved by making the Cup a means to an end in terms of CL qualification, you've just turned it into a glorified Intertoto cup then.

--

I would scrap the League Cup personally so that we can get back to a sensible situation whereby the FA Cup is the knock out competition of England. Apart from having semi-finals at somewhere other than Wembley and having the draw straight after the games on Sunday then I wouldnt change anything really.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Mackay

Na, makes sense having one for league clubs and one for all clubs. Plus the format of the League Cup is excellent, relatively quick path to the final, cheap tickets, large allocations, evening kick offs. You'd lose most of that if you merged it with the FA Cup.

You're not paying £25 for an FA Cup semi final ticket, ever.

The draw for the 4th round is tonight btw.
Original post by Mackay

The League Cup is a horrific tournament, it makes absolutely no sense to have a 2nd knock out competition and apart from the Scots no-one else in Europe really does it. And if we have 2, why not have 3 or 4?

The only reason it was set up was to raise revenue for clubs.
Na, makes sense having one for league clubs and one for all clubs. Plus the format of the League Cup is excellent, relatively quick path to the final, cheap tickets, large allocations, evening kick offs. You'd lose most of that if you merged it with the FA Cup.

But it's very existance devalues the FA Cup

Where does it end anyway, shall we have a 3rd cup competition just for PL clubs with £8.50 tickets?

Let's have a London knockout held over one weekend in January with £3.50 tickets and a very quick route to the final?
Original post by Zürich
But it's very existance devalues the FA Cup

Well considering the League Cup has existed for decades and apart from the past ten years or so the FA Cup has always been held in very high esteem running along side it, I would say it doesn't.

What has devalued it is that the CL has a greater appeal. MU pulling out/being told to play in Brazil didn't help. The new Wembley and semis being played there doesn't help. The race for 4th place doesn't either.

Where does it end anyway, shall we have a 3rd cup competition just for PL clubs with £8.50 tickets?

Let's have a London knockout held over one weekend in January with £3.50 tickets and a very quick route to the final?

We aren't talking about creating new competitions mate. Just keeping an existing one.
Reply 77

What I like about the League Cup is that its knockout football straight off the bat. Isn't the first round in August?
Doesn't winning the Cup earn you roughly the same as finishing a single place higher in the Premier League, or something equally daft? That's the main problem and there's not a lot you can do to change it. When you look at Hull's end of season form last year, getting to the final probably lost them money. Crazy.
Original post by scriggy
Doesn't winning the Cup earn you roughly the same as finishing a single place higher in the Premier League, or something equally daft? That's the main problem and there's not a lot you can do to change it. When you look at Hull's end of season form last year, getting to the final probably lost them money. Crazy.

Dont know about that. Arsenal made something like £8m all in from the cup last season. But that included entirely home games, so 60,000 tickets and every single tie from the 3rd round being televised. You get something like £50m for winning the CL though so it is still peanuts really. The prize money itself isn't much more than £4m I think.
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest