The Student Room Group

I'm really nervous about meeting up with my new boyfriend for the first time

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Abdul-Karim
Taken 3 hitting cinemas real soon. I wouldn't recommend any of this, imo.

LOOOOOOOOOOOL this is not the time to run jokes.
Reply 61
Original post by chloelg
Are you an idiot? London is not a completely different country in which you need to take a plane to get to. What she is doing is very unsafe and if you are not concerned then you are obviously just as naive as she is and should not be on the internet.

London is a completely different country for her bf though, so does that make it ok ?
Reply 62
Original post by bella99
London is a completely different country for her bf though, so does that make it ok ?

What the hell are you talking about? If he was in this girls position I would give exactly the same advice.
Do any friends/family know the ins and outs of this situation? Sounds a bit dodgy meeting up with a stranger you've never met even once in a country you've never been to, and assuming you don't speak the language there? How sure are you it's really him?

Also find it odd you consider him a boyfriend when you've never met him

Really hoping this is a troll.......
Original post by bella99

Are you serious? Do you genuinely want this person to get hurt? It doesn't matter where she's from, or her boyfriend. You can't just meet up with a stranger like that. You're a disgrace!!!!
Original post by bella99

We can assume that she is genuine, however meeting up with someone and you don't know their identity anywhere is bad. However the difference between London and Bejing is in London:
1. Not a foreign Language.
2. The country doesn't have a dubious police corruption/ state cover-up record.
3. Easy escape from guy via public/crowds and taxi.
Need to go all out catfish and do an image search on google (y)
Reply 67
Original post by carl3yra3j3p53n
Are you serious? Do you genuinely want this person to get hurt? It doesn't matter where she's from, or her boyfriend. You can't just meet up with a stranger like that. You're a disgrace!!!!

She's 14, what do you expect.
Probably completely oblivious to these things.
Reply 68
Original post by MeganN1C0LE
Hey Guys,
I'm new to TSR and I need some advice for my first meeting with my boyfriend next week :smile:

We met on an online dating website 3 months ago, we started talking, and got on really well with each other. He seems really sweet and good looking, he was born and brought up in America and says he's really sporty (apparently he was the captain of his school's rugby and basketball team!)

Anyway next week we're going to meet up in Beijing (he's doing work experience there for a while, and I'm on a gap year), but I'm really nervous.
What should I wear? Beijing is apparently really hot, I haven't been outside Europe before. And what sort of present, if any, do you think I should get for him?

A bit confused, and really nervous :confused:

Thank-you x

Woah! Slow down! Ever heard of Catfish? Are you sure this guy is who he claims to be? Even if you are 100% sure about this, please meet in a public place (but not crowded), and have in your mind an exit strategy (nearby police station, phone booth, knowledge of immediate area). Are you going alone, or would you be able to bring someone along? Meeting a person for the first time in a foreign country is seriously risky. I'm not saying don't go, but be very careful. I don't want you getting hurt!
Original post by bella99

Saying things like that actually makes you a bad person. People can fake video feeds on skype you know! Can you stop encouraging her from putting herself in a situation where she's most likely going to get hurt? omggggg
Reply 70

No ofc i dont want her to get hurt, and i definately think they need to chat face to face before they meet, i just think men and women should be treated the same, women are just as dangerous as men
Reply 71
Original post by bella99

It's a foreign country for him as well, he said he needed some time to acclimatise to Beijing and stuff.
How long till he gets home?
Original post by bella99
No ofc i dont want her to get hurt, and i definately think they need to chat face to face before they meet, i just think men and women should be treated the same, women are just as dangerous as men

You clearly do want her to get hurt though!!!! Chatting face to face over skype isn't even safe when nowadays you can fake videos, and make it look like you're a teenager. You shouldn't be telling her to go to another country on the other side of the world which she is completely unfamiliar with.
It's a foreign country for him as well, he said he needed some time to acclimatise to Beijing and stuff.

You don't know this. He could be Chinese. You need to get definitive proof that he is who he says he is before you meet up. Don't take the risk.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 75
You clearly do want her to get hurt though!!!! Chatting face to face over skype isn't even safe when nowadays you can fake videos, and make it look like you're a teenager. You shouldn't be telling her to go to another country on the other side of the world which she is completely unfamiliar with.

So theyre never allowed to meet ?!! what are you on about
Reply 76
Original post by EsomR
How long till he gets home?

He does a nightshift in the weekends (China-time), by the time he gets back I'll be asleep; we'll normally can talk a lot in the morning (GMT mornings).
Original post by bella99
So theyre never allowed to meet ?!! what are you on about

I cannot believe that you are encouraging this. Her safety should come first. She needs to take appropriate precautions. :facepalm:

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 78
He told me he can get Skye when he gets back from his work experience.

Do you mean when his placement has finished, or when he is finished for the day?

If it's the former, DO NOT go. This sets alarm bells ringing immediately!
Reply 79

OP, although he most likely is a perfectly good guy, you have to be careful with internet relationships.
I have 2 questions:
How old are you? (just cause if you're underage, you really should take a parent with you
and who's paying for the tickets? beijing isn't a cheap flight.

when you meet up, i recconmend doing so in a popular tourist destination, so if he isnt legit, you can ask someone who speaks english for help

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending