The Student Room Group

I'm really nervous about meeting up with my new boyfriend for the first time

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by bella99
Is someone really going to be able to keep up that act for three months ? Doubt it

People have 'acted' fine for 20 years and then some random people turn up dead or manage to escape from their basement. True story, so naive.
Reply 81
Original post by Choppie
Do you mean when his placement has finished, or when he is finished for the day?

If it's the former, DO NOT go. This sets alarm bells ringing immediately!

The latter, well 'finished for the night' lol as he does night shifts. As I said I may be asleep by then, so I'll have to contact him tomorrow morning.
I have a feeling I'm going to be reading about this on the Daily Mail....not that I read the Daily Mail or anything :colone:

Just pack some pepper spray and a rape alarm...although I don't think the Chinese will response to your rape alarm. With a billion people, they really couldn't give a monkeys :colone:

Even if it turn out to be this athletic American and not a 60 year Chinese dwarf, don't be alone with him even if you do trust him- he might be a psycho!
Reply 83
Original post by carl3yra3j3p53n
You shouldn't be telling her to go to another country on the other side of the world which she is completely unfamiliar with.

This made me snort out my tea!
Why on earth would you ever tell someone not to (sensibly) go to a country they are unfamiliar with?! Have you ever stepped foot outside of England? I'm sure you have. This is like a classic southern American viewpoint haha (yes huge generalisation, hit me). If we didn't explore the unfamiliar we wouldn't get anywhere, understand anything about the world, and I can tell you I for one would be pretty unhappy stuck in one country. Travelling and exploring unfamiliar places is brilliant and wonderful and the best thing we are fortunate enough to be able to do. What a ridiculous thing to say.
Original post by bella99
Is someone really going to be able to keep up that act for three months ? Doubt it

Some people can keep an act up for years and still fool the other person. It's not impossible.
Reply 85
I can tell all you being "pro-meet him without video chatting he's real" haven't seen the MTV show Catfish...
By him saying that he'll get skype after he's finished work experience, therefore only after you've visited he's denying a skype call...If this isn't a troll, please don't meet a stranger off the internet in a foriegn country
Reply 87
Original post by awe
Why on earth would you ever tell someone not to (sensibly) go to a country they are unfamiliar with?! Have you ever stepped foot outside of England? I'm sure you have. This is like a classic southern American viewpoint haha (yes huge generalisation, hit me). If we didn't explore the unfamiliar we wouldn't get anywhere, understand anything about the world, and I can tell you I for one would be pretty unhappy stuck in one country. Travelling and exploring unfamiliar places is brilliant and wonderful and the best thing we are fortunate enough to be able to do. What a ridiculous thing to say.

exactly !! she could go with some friends as well if everyone is that concerned !
I would advise against this whole scenario, and to concentrate on meeting guys in real life, or at least in your general locality, and NOT assuming a relationship until you know you actually have met and started one.

Remember: You're infatuated/in love with an idea of a boyfriend. Even if he is being sincere, you have not met him to establish what chemistry if any there is between you two. You'll need to prepare for the fact that even if he isn't a no good liar, he will be nothnig like you imagine and it will just be awkward and end badly.

You need to ask yourself at all times whether this guy is legitimate or up to no good.

But you're clearly in deep.

Firstly demand that he webcam chats with you. At least once. If he isn't forthcoming than he is up to no good.

Take a friend if you can, and meet in a public place during daytime. Do NOT tell him where you are staying, but DO tell your parents or anyone you trust where you're going, and why you are going.

If he is a total dodgy creeper at the least someone will have enough info to find your body.

Best of luck OP...stay safe. :/
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 89
This is ridiculous. Even if he's who he says he is why the hell do you think it's sensible to date someone in another freaking continent? Do you refuse to date people in the UK?

This is beyond ridiculous in fact.
Reply 90
Original post by MusicNerd
OP, although he most likely is a perfectly good guy, you have to be careful with internet relationships.
I have 2 questions:
How old are you? (just cause if you're underage, you really should take a parent with you
and who's paying for the tickets? beijing isn't a cheap flight.

when you meet up, i recconmend doing so in a popular tourist destination, so if he isnt legit, you can ask someone who speaks english for help

I don't want to give away too many personal details on here, but I'm 19 and my parents are paying for the flight.
Original post by bella99
So theyre never allowed to meet ?!! what are you on about

She should be meeting him in a setting where they're both comfortable, in a place where her friends can be nearby in case this person isn't telling the truth about his identity. Can you please stop encouraging such rash decisions??!?!?!?!??!!?!?!?!?!
Reply 92
Original post by awe

You're seriously using this to backup the idea of someone going to China to meet someone she's never met before?

That has to be one of the stupidest things I have ever read.
There are approximately 31,591,000 males in the United Kingdom. I'm sure you'll be able to find someone around you who is a lot safer to be with. On a serious note, this is like gambling with dice that are weighted to give you a 1 every time they are thrown... without you knowing. Don't take risks this big is my advice.
Original post by awe

There's a difference between travelling and exploring unfamiliar places, and meeting up with strangers on the internet who've never verified their identity in any way. If she doesn't take some measure of precaution, who knows what could happen to her? What a ridiculous thing to say.
meet up in a public place like a coffee shop
Reply 96
Original post by carl3yra3j3p53n
She should be meeting him in a setting where they're both comfortable, in a place where her friends can be nearby in case this person isn't telling the truth about his identity. Can you please stop encouraging such rash decisions??!?!?!?!??!!?!?!?!?!

She can take her friends with her !
Original post by bella99

She can't take her friends to china! (Unless they are loaded)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 98
Original post by MeganN1C0LE
x

Try google back-searching the pics he sent you, to make sure he hasn't just pulled them from the internet. Just drag the picture onto google images, or click on the little camera icon that appears at the right side of the search bar (in google images).

I strongly recommend skyping before travelling halfway across the world to meet this guy :tongue:
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by bella99

So you want her to spend god knows how much on going to China all the way from America not only for herself but for her friends as well?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending