The Student Room Group

What is a degree in Psychology like?

Is there alot of biology and maths involved?
How hard is it to achieve a 2:1 or 1st?
How many hours per week do you spend on doing work for Psychology out of uni?
Do you have time to do other things if you are wanting to achieve a 1st?

Any other information regarding Psychology degree in general is welcome
Original post by mariya101

There is a lot of biology involved, although it does vary from module to module. If you have come from a social science background at A level, it can be a bit of a shock. You'll cover neurones, hormones and neurotransmitters in depth. You may also covers topics like the structure and functional of the eye and how light interacts with it.
Psychology is also quite statistics heavy. This is often the area that students hate the most. However it is not too hard as it generally involves sticking numbers into equations or using statistics software.

Most psychology degrees do not have a great number of contact hours. Maybe 8 hours of lectures a week? There will also be a number of practicals, seminars, tutorials and computer workshops spread through a semester. So how many hours you put into it will depend on your motivation and what you want to get from the degree.
As for how hard it is: Like all degrees, the majority of students will achieve a 2:1 or above. Most of those who fail to get a 2:1 do so because they do not put the amount of work in (for whatever reason).

If you want some insight into psychology at university level, I think Steven Pinker's books How the Mind Works, The Blank Slate or The Language Instinct offer a good introduction.
Do you have time to do other things if you are wanting to achieve a 1st?

I had about 6-8 hours of lectures plus weekly essays. As the above person said, most people who don't get a 2.1 either haven't tried/had some emotional problems during their study. Getting a first isn't about doing nothing but degree work, you have got to have learnt great study and analytical skills and put sufficient time in. At my uni this would be at least like 5-8 hours work a day (which isn't that much in reality, lets say starting work at 9am and finishing at 3-6pm) leaving lots of room to do other things outside that.
Reply 3
Original post by iammichealjackson
I had about 6-8 hours of lectures plus weekly essays. As the above person said, most people who don't get a 2.1 either haven't tried/had some emotional problems during their study. Getting a first isn't about doing nothing but degree work, you have got to have learnt great study and analytical skills and put sufficient time in. At my uni this would be at least like 5-8 hours work a day (which isn't that much in reality, lets say starting work at 9am and finishing at 3-6pm) leaving lots of room to do other things outside that.

Ohh ok thanks!

In terms of difficulty what would you rate psychology out of 10 - 10 being extremely difficult. I just want an idea of how difficult it is thats all :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by Quantex
There is a lot of biology involved, although it does vary from module to module. If you have come from a social science background at A level, it can be a bit of a shock. You'll cover neurones, hormones and neurotransmitters in depth. You may also covers topics like the structure and functional of the eye and how light interacts with it.
Psychology is also quite statistics heavy. This is often the area that students hate the most. However it is not too hard as it generally involves sticking numbers into equations or using statistics software.

Most psychology degrees do not have a great number of contact hours. Maybe 8 hours of lectures a week? There will also be a number of practicals, seminars, tutorials and computer workshops spread through a semester. So how many hours you put into it will depend on your motivation and what you want to get from the degree.
As for how hard it is: Like all degrees, the majority of students will achieve a 2:1 or above. Most of those who fail to get a 2:1 do so because they do not put the amount of work in (for whatever reason).

If you want some insight into psychology at university level, I think Steven Pinker's books How the Mind Works, The Blank Slate or The Language Instinct offer a good introduction.

Have you ever come across any students that want to study Medicine after Psychology?
Have you ever come across any students that want to study Medicine after Psychology?

There was one who successfully applied for grad medicine on TSR
Ohh ok thanks!

In terms of difficulty what would you rate psychology out of 10 - 10 being extremely difficult. I just want an idea of how difficult it is thats all :smile:

This really depends on what uni your at, your ability level and how much work you've done in previous years. 8 for difficulty of content, 9 for amount of content (but im a cambridge 3rd year so the amount of work you get will be quite high!)

Yes. A good friend of mine is in her final year of medicine after completing a psychology degree. She went onto the standard 5 year medicine programme rather than the graduate programme.
There is a lot of biology and statistics - although most unis teach the stats with the help of a computer programme (SPSS being the most common, I think), and as a result of that it's more about learning to use that rather than actually understanding the statistic tests, so you don't have to be any good at maths.

I got a 2.1 and had to work hard, although I'm fairly confident I could have got a first if I hadn't been so lazy at various points during the three years.
Reply 8
Original post by xoxAngel_Kxox
There is a lot of biology and statistics - although most unis teach the stats with the help of a computer programme (SPSS being the most common, I think), and as a result of that it's more about learning to use that rather than actually understanding the statistic tests, so you don't have to be any good at maths.

I got a 2.1 and had to work hard, although I'm fairly confident I could have got a first if I hadn't been so lazy at various points during the three years.

So would you recommend working hard and trying to achieve the best I can in my first year... because I heard first year doesn't even matter? am I wrong?
So would you recommend working hard and trying to achieve the best I can in my first year... because I heard first year doesn't even matter? am I wrong?

For me, first year was 10%, and we weren't allowed to pass the year if we failed anything. So it's worth checking that out.

Also first year can be a great chance to learn what the lecturers are looking for in assignments. If you don't bother to work properly you risk only getting to grips with it a few assignments into second year, by which time you may be limiting your degree marks!
Reply 10
Original post by shiggydiggy
It wont count towards your final classification, but it ultimately ends up on your transcript and forms the foundation for years two and three.

Ohh ok thanks :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest