The Student Room Group

The Truth About The Russell Group.

This Russell Group idea is and will always be a failure. They claim to be the top universities in the UK and being the be all and end all. NO....

Benefits of going to a university that's in the RG:

- They get extra funds from the government so that they can produce top class research.

- They are known worldwide {Graduating from a RG university is always a good thing to have when working in a different country)

- Since they're now "known" for being "top" universities, they have links with good firms and have high employment rates.

Not Going To A RG Uni:

- There are many top universities which are not in the RG. Including:
St Andrews, Bath, Leicester, Lancaster, SOAS etc...

- There are over 120 universities in the UK and 24 Russell group universities... I see people graduating from Oxford Brookes and working at worldwide organisations => You still have a good chance of getting into a good job regardless of the university you graduate from.

- Regardless of which university you go to, if you don't graduate with a 1st or a 2.1 or the very least a 2.2 you can kiss your employment bye bye. (I mean it would be harder to get employed as a graduate)

- Many universities get funded for producing top class research e.g. Leiceser, Lancaster, Bath, St Andrews, Sussex...

- Members of the Russell Group change.

- The RG could close down.

My Advice To You:

If you apply to a RG university and a Non, and if they are both seen as top class universities then go to the RG university. But if you don't get accepted into a Russell Group university then don't sweat it because you can still get employed and respected if you go to an OK university (You just need to graduate with a good 1st or 2.1).

IMO I say that St Andrews and Bath are better than many RG universities.

Not hating on RG universities, I have been accepted into 2 RG's and 3 Non.
(edited 10 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1

here we go.
Reply 2
Original post by 0xygen
This Russel Group idea is and will always be a failure. They claim to be the top universities in the UK and being the be all and end all. NO....

- They get extra funds from the government so that they can produce top class research.

- They are known worldwide {Graduating from a RG university is always a good thing to have when working in a different country)

- Since they're now "known" for being "top" universities, they have links with good firms and have high employment rates.

Not Going To A RG Uni:

- There are over 120 universities in the UK and 24 Russel group universities... I see people graduating from Oxford Brookes and working at worldwide organisations => You still have a good chance of getting into a good job regardless of the university you graduate from.

- Regardless of which university you go to, if you don't graduate with a 1st or a 2.1 or the very least a 2.2 you can kiss your employment bye bye. (I mean it would be harder to get employed as a graduate)

- Many universities get funded for producing top class research e.g. Leiceser, Lancaster, Bath, St Andrews, Sussex...

- Members of the Russel Group change.

My Advice To You:

If you have applied to say, if you apply to a RG university and a Non, and if they are both seen as top class universities then go to the RG university. But if you don't get accepted into a Russel Group university then don't sweat it because you can still get employed and respected wherever you go (You just need to graduate with a good 1st or 2.1).

Well somebody got rejected from a Russell Group.

It is okay, that maccies job will always be there for people like you. I mean you can not even spell "Russell Group".

*awaits blue card for speaking the truth*

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
I thought it was the Russell Group not Russel Group?
Reply 4
RG unis are better for research, so they have more knowledgeable staff all round on average. Doesn't mean they are good at teaching, however.

I thought everyone knew this.
Reply 5
Original post by the mezzil
Well somebody got rejected from a Russell Group.

It is okay, that maccies job will always be there for people like you. I mean you can not even spell "Russell Group".

*awaits blue card for speaking the truth*

Posted from TSR Mobile

I actually got accepted by: Leicester + Queen Mary + Newcastle.
Original post by 0xygen
This Russel Group idea is and will always be a failure. They claim to be the top universities in the UK and being the be all and end all. NO....

Not Going To A RG Uni:

- There are over 120 universities in the UK and 24 Russel group universities... I see people graduating from Oxford Brookes and working at worldwide organisations => You still have a good chance of getting into a good job regardless of the university you graduate from.

- Members of the Russel Group change.

My Advice To You:

If you apply to a RG university and a Non, and if they are both seen as top class universities then go to the RG university. But if you don't get accepted into a Russel Group university then don't sweat it because you can still get employed and respected wherever you go (You just need to graduate with a good 1st or 2.1).

You need to also look at the city and area, you wouldn't want to live in an area that you would hate for 3 years...

The bit I've put in bold is absolute nonsense. I'm sorry but graduates from Bolton or London South Bank are not going to very employable regardless of whether they get a First or not. You should be banned for spreading this lie and tricking people into going to crap unis thinking they will still be employable.
Reply 7
Original post by JungleeBilli
I thought it was the Russell Group not Russel Group?

Yeah it is but it's an easy mistake to make.
Reply 8
Original post by tengentoppa
The bit I've put in bold is absolute nonsense. I'm sorry but graduates from Bolton or London South Bank are not going to very employable regardless of whether they get a First or not. You should be banned for spreading this lie and tricking people into going to crap unis thinking they will still be employable.

So basically you're saying that over 100k students (over 10 universities) will not get employed even if they graduate with a 1st because they are ranked "low" on the league tables?

Funny how a friend graduated from Middlesex and is now earning over £30k after 2 years?
Reply 9
Original post by Venomilys
RG unis are better for research, so they have more knowledgeable staff all round on average. Doesn't mean they are good at teaching, however.

I thought everyone knew this.

Nope, a lot of schools in London don't talk about this. My sixth form and a few others don't ever mention what to look for in a uni
Original post by 0xygen
So basically you're saying that over 100k students (over 10 universities) will not get employed even if they graduate with a 1st because they are ranked "low" on the league tables?

Funny how a friend graduated from Middlesex and is now earning over £30k after 2 years?

One swallow does not make a summer. Your exact line was "you still have a good chance of getting a good job regardless of the university you graduate from". This implies that lower-ranked unis produce just as many doctors, bankers, lawyers etc. as top unis. That is not the case at all. Your friend is the exception as opposed to the rule.
Reply 11
One swallow does not make a summer. Your exact line was "you still have a good chance of getting a good job regardless of the university you graduate from". This implies that lower-ranked unis produce just as many doctors, bankers, lawyers etc. as top unis. That is not the case at all. Your friend is the exception as opposed to the rule.

Yes "lower-ranked" universities can produce anything. It all depends on WHERE you work... If I graduate with a Law degree from Middlesex I can still work as a lawyer but won't be able to work in or with top law firms.

If I graduate with a Computer Science degree from Bolton I can still work as a website developer or something but won't be able to work at Google or Yahoo.

At the end of the day, you can still get a job...
Original post by 0xygen
Yes "lower-ranked" universities can produce anything. It all depends on WHERE you work... If I graduate with a Law degree from Middlesex I can still work as a lawyer but won't be able to work in or with top law firms.

If I graduate with a Computer Science degree from Bolton I can still work as a website developer or something but won't be able to work at Google or Yahoo.

So you admit that graduates from lower-ranked unis are not as employable as ones from top unis.
Reply 13
So you admit that graduates from lower-ranked unis are not as employable as ones from top unis.

Depends on how low you go... I think the top 40 universities (Excluding oxbridge) barely differ when it comes to employment. Those are all old universities that have been known as good universities for a long time and have been known for good quality teaching. Top 50 - 60 are OK, these universities are for those that played around too much at A-Levels so will need a 1st to actually get somewhere.. Any university usually ranked above 70 or known to be a lower class university the employment rates will drop by a goo amount but you can still get employed.
Original post by 0xygen
I actually got accepted by: Leicester + Queen Mary + Newcastle.

And?
I don't think it matters what university you go to as long as you work hard and show passion towards what you want to be you will be fine... I know people who applied to London South Bank university who got 5 As in GCSE and As in A level, they applied there because they wanted to doesn't make them stupid, it's not about which university you go to its how well you do.
There is certainly some truth in what the OP says, although it is hardly some great revelation. The Russell Group went from being a political lobbying group to this lazy shorthand for a good university (something The RG has not tried to play down as it likes the brand image and the sense of exclusivity it brings).
Original post by 0xygen

lets be honest tengentoppa is probably still a sixth former or something so he's not able to give an authoritative view on the job market, all he will be able to do is repeat stuff he's read on forums
So which Russell Group uni/s did you get rejected from?
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 19
Original post by EsomR
So which Russell Group uni/s did you get rejected from?

Got offers from my 5 choices consisting of 2 Russell Group universities, Leicester, and another 2 insurance choices. =]

Latest

Trending

Trending