The Student Room Group

AS English Literature Poetry HELP please

Hi all,
currently in english we are doing coursewrk and with my other teacher we have started poetry. Problem is, I absolutely despise poetry and cant understand any of it... Last year I got a borderline C with pure luck but im not complaining b/c i ended up with an a* overall. So how much will the poetry part of the course be worth when i am doing my june exam. I know that the coursewrk is 40% and the final exam is worth 60% but i really hope poetry isnt worth as much.. i seriously regret picking english, so far ive been predicted a B but i dont enjoy it at all. We are doing John Clare and i dont know or give a crap about what he is talking about in his poems. I just want to get through it with a decent grade b/c theres no way in hell im doing it at A2. Finally, can you give me some tips and advice? I am literally clueless. Srry for bad spelling and grammar, typin this on my phone and panicing. Again, thanks in advance.
Reply 1
Hello Michael, the first thing is to develop an interest in it. from your post, it's obvious you don't like poetry and research has shown that students perform poorly in subjects they have little or no interest in. On a humorous note, how well do you do with the ladies? :smile:, with poetry, you can go farther than you envisage ***winks***. Poetry is cool if you are interested, find friends who are good @ literature. You can always post your questions here for help. i hope my monologue helps.
Reply 2
Hello Michael, the first thing is to develop an interest in it. From your post, it's obvious you don't like poetry and research has shown that students perform poorly in subjects they have little or no interest. On a humorous note, how well do you do with the ladies?With poetry,you can go farther than you envisage . Poetry is cool if you are interested, find friends who are good at it. You can always post your questions here for help. i hope my monologue helps.
Reply 3
First of all, if you hate poetry then why did you even contemplate taking English Literature at A level?

The whole exam at AS revolves around your understanding of the poems you study throughout the year. At AS last year we looked at about forty poems and there were about fifty in the anthology section that you could refer to and use to provide a balanced argument when answering the question.

You need to have a good understanding of the structure, form and language of the poems and you are left with just the anthology of blank poems in the exam.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending