The Student Room Group

Can you hold down a part time job while studying a nursing degree?

I have been accepted at my local university to start an adult nursing degree full time. I have been looking into finances and it seems that the amount if funded you can get is not enough for me to live on and I can't get any help from parents etc. SO I need to work part time while doing the degree. At my interview I remember them saying you spend 32hrs a week out on placements which can be evenings and weekends. So just wondered if any student nurses have had to work alongside their degree and could give me any tips on how best to do it? I can't imagine I am the only the who has had to work while studying. Thanks in advance.

EDIT BY COMMUNITY TEAM:

Tutoring pays up to £24 per hour - apply to become a tutor here

Read our guide to becoming a tutor here

We've also made a top 8 list of ways to make money online without getting a part-time job here
(edited 5 years ago)
Its difficult to hold down a contracted pt job as your off duty could be 24/7 and different every week, however the most common job to get whilst being a nursing student is on the bank. So you can work as an hca when suits you, it can be difficult to get on if you have no experience. Best tips are to be organised, dont over do it, make sure your placement or uni work doesnt suffer.
im exactly the same ... i can't afford not to work. im going to have no money!
Reply 3
Original post by hjs771
I have been accepted at my local university to start an adult nursing degree full time. I have been looking into finances and it seems that the amount if funded you can get is not enough for me to live on and I can't get any help from parents etc. SO I need to work part time while doing the degree. At my interview I remember them saying you spend 32hrs a week out on placements which can be evenings and weekends. So just wondered if any student nurses have had to work alongside their degree and could give me any tips on how best to do it? I can't imagine I am the only the who has had to work while studying. Thanks in advance.

Hi there. I'm a first year student nurse at Huddersfield university and while I'm not sure what uni you'll be going to I can tell you how mine works out.
While a lot of unis try to put their students off getting a part time job mine has absolutely no problem with it.
When I'm not at placement I'm at uni 4 out of 5 days and the most hours I do at uni a day are 4. At this point it seems like a job would be fine. However when you go into placement things will change. I have to do 30 hours a week at placement and then a day at uni. After a 12.5 hour shift you are absolutely shattered and you will not be bothered with going to a night job! My uni aren't too keen on us doing placement at weekends though so a weekend job would be fine!
You just have to bare in mind your work load like trying to do essays and revising for exams while you're out on placement as you rarely have enough time for this during the week.
After 12 weeks of placement though you can get a bank job with nhs professionals where you basically choose your own shifts so if you can wait it out I would do that :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by hjs771

This is what I am wondering I want to apply to do my nursing degree next September . I am older and have a family and will definitely need to work to top up my income .

Quick Reply

Latest