The Student Room Group

Do you go out clubbing even though you're in a relationship?

I'm curious. I have a friend and he says if you have a gf then you should not be out clubbing. Are you not allowed to just go out for drinks and a dance? or is it associated with...

Clubbing = On the pull

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I have a girlfriend and I go out all the time, can't see any reason why I wouldn't.
Reply 2
I have a girlfriend and I still go clubbing, sometimes with her and sometimes without her. I find clubs fun, I don't go there to get laid (that never even worked when I was single :tongue:)
it's been proven, somewhat rigorously, that people forget that they're in a relationship when they're drunk (and yes, there is a scientific definition of 'drunk').

It's a risky thing to do if you're in it for the long game.
Reply 4
Depends what kind of relationship you're in really...

in my personal opinion, I can go out for a drink with the lads, however, if I'm going clubbing, it's obviously usually to mix with the female species.

it's all a point of view, this is why relationships when you're young aren't good, because I know when a girl is out, you have all sorts of guys trying things with them, so I can understand why some people don't like it.
I don't go clubbing anyway. Why would I want to be rammed in a room with **** music, overpriced crap drinks, unable to speak to anyone with a stranger touching my ass?
Reply 6
If you both trust eachother 100% then what is wrong with going out and socializing?
My boyfriend goes clubbing and I'm completely fine with it. I know he is not going to 'pull girls'.
I did when I was in a relationship... Why wouldn't you? All you have to do is tell people who are interested you have a boyfriend. Not difficult.
I enjoy clubbing when I do go but wouldn't want to all the time. I probably go once every couple of months or something but when I do it's to spend time with friends, drink and dance to music that I like. My boyfriend has nothing to worry about.
I personally do, but yes it is dangerous like someone above said. Just the other day I went to a club with my cousin, he'd spent all pre-drinks telling me about how into his girlfriend he is. After his fourth tequila, he was tongue-tied with my ex-girlfriend's best friend, he's usually a placid guy, maybe that's just him but I can see that the culture of having to pull someone at a club could adversely affect a relationship.

In the past, when i've been in relationships, i've not liked taking my girlfriend clubbing because i'd spend the whole time fending off other guys which is just annoying. Although its quite entertaining being high-fived by strangers believing i've just pulled my girlfriend.
I have a boyfriend and we both go clubbing occasionally..i cant possibly imagine why being in a relationship means you can't have a drink or a dance. I've never tried to "pull" in a club and even when i was single i didn't appreciate advances from other people in clubs so I very much disagree with the idea that going clubbing = Going out on the pull. I go to dance with my friends, it's very easy to say "thankyou, I'm flattered but I'm in a relationship".
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 11
Original post by Cheese_Monster
I personally do, but yes it is dangerous like someone above said. Just the other day I went to a club with my cousin, he'd spent all pre-drinks telling me about how into his girlfriend he is. After his fourth tequila, he was tongue-tied with my ex-girlfriend's best friend, he's usually a placid guy, maybe that's just him but I can see that the culture of having to pull someone at a club could adversely affect a relationship.

In the past, when i've been in relationships, i've not liked taking my girlfriend clubbing because i'd spend the whole time fending off other guys which is just annoying. Although its quite entertaining being high-fived by strangers believing i've just pulled my girlfriend.

I understand where you're coming from.. Not all guys are like that, and some girls are just as bad.

To be honest for me it's just a night out with the lads, some good music and some drinks for a laugh not to get totally trollied.
Reply 12
Original post by lucaf
I have a girlfriend and I still go clubbing, sometimes with her and sometimes without her. I find clubs fun, I don't go there to get laid (that never even worked when I was single :tongue:)

Haha. I agree it's a fun night out with some friends and some 'good' music in some clubs.

Hate the association of clubs to be just for pulling & casual sex.
Reply 13
I don't think I've been out clubbing since I started going out with my girlfriend, but I think that's more my age than the fact I'm in a relationship.

Considering I never pulled in a club when I was single, I don't think my girlfriend has anything to worry about if I did go clubbing.
Reply 14
No but I never went clubbing when I was single anyway, its not my cup of tea tbh.
Original post by Tyrion_Lannister
I don't go clubbing anyway. Why would I want to be rammed in a room with **** music, overpriced crap drinks, unable to speak to anyone with a stranger touching my ass?

lol, 'touching my ass'. you must have a pretty high opinion of yourself to think that the lads are going to doing that to you. :rolleyes:
Original post by genuinelydense
lol, 'touching my ass'. you must have a pretty high opinion of yourself to think that the lads are going to doing that to you. :rolleyes:

People in clubs have no respect for people, and frequently sexually assault you. It's ****ing horrid
Reply 17
And that's why you get threads on TSR like "cheated on bf/gf when I was out"..."it was all a drunken mistake", "tbf the guy was really hot" etc....
Reply 18
I'm not a fan of it anyway, but have been in the past on a sports social, or occasionally in first year we would venture out as a little awkward group and love to hate it (or hate to love it P: ). At the end of the day I would rather not go at all, simply because it's not that enjoyable and gets my social anxiety going. However, I would go without my boyfriend but I would much rather go with him, if possible. I don't really enjoy being hit on and am far more comfortable being myself when he's around. I would not be totally happy if he were to go without me, but I would acknowledge that as a slightly daft reaction and try to reign it in a bit aha. It would depend on who he happened to be going with, most likely. He was 'promiscuous' before we were together/in the beginning so I think that's justified nervousness despite our current stability. Maybe.

Original post by genuinelydense

It's very nice that you are clearly not someone who sexually harasses in public, but don't assume other people are so good in a club scene. It's not uncommon when there are many people dancing closely to feel an uninvited hand thinking that, because you're dancing, you don't mind a cosy grope. 'What, I wasn't even doing anything!' 'I'm just being nice, why are you so offended?' ... it's not unusual in the slightest to hear these things afterwards.
It's especially bad, almost 'inevitable', in larger non-university clubs, particularly in London. Don't write it off as someone being up themselves just because you don't do it or get hands on your butt yourself.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 19
Original post by loloway
And that's why you get threads on TSR like "cheated on bf/gf when I was out"..."it was all a drunken mistake", "tbf the guy was really hot" etc....

Because they went out to a club? I doubt the majority who are in relationships cheat.

Quick Reply

Latest