The Student Room Group

people using 'YOLO' as an excuse to make bad decisions in life..

Scroll to see replies

Gonna sleep all day and party all night #YOLO
Convinced our boss to start saying YOLO recently, absolute comedy. To be fair he's got a 'carpe diem' tattoo ('because I'm a classicist...and a pretentious knobhead') and hasn't screwed his life too much living by its spirit.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 22
I absolutely don't get it either. 'You only live once' to me just means you only get one shot - make the most of it, don't freaking kill yourself jumping naked off a roof into a swimming pool with an exaggerated diving board and a chunk of ice in the middle. For example.
I use the notion that there is just likely 'one life' to encourage myself to enjoy many things spiritually and with a stronger connection to nature/the natural more than anything else, which is the opposite of what advocates of 'omg YOLO' seem to be doing most of the time.
But each to their own. If it makes people happy and doesn't harm others, then ultimately it's better than otherwise.
Original post by FlavaFavourFruit
It's just a word, chill nerd.

I use it for the lols...

It's actually an acronym :hand:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I can understand it in the context of a major life decision that takes you outside your comfort zone: eg a girl I know got offered a 12 month job in Kuwait, and she was all "well I've never been away from my family for a long time before but YOLO I'll give it a go"

But if its in the context of "I'm not gonna revise instead I'm gonna go out and get wasted YOLO" then lol its nothing special, people get wasted all the time, if you have to make a big thing of justifying it you're probably a loser.
Original post by TH3-FL45H
It's actually an acronym :hand:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah but I say the word "yolo"

Oh nvm :sigh:
Original post by Secretnerd123
Whenever I hear YOLO, I have to stifle a scream of annoyance because in my opinion, the word YOLO is “carpe diem” for uneducated people. Before Drake’s song “The Motto” came out, the saying “you only live once” wasn’t considered a way of life. Then, Drake hashtagged #YOLO on twitter, making it look like something cool.

People use YOLO to hide from their responsibilities and let themselves feel at ease for forgetting to do something or to make something bad that happened better. Instead of facing their problems, many young people are just using YOLO to lengthen the time before they are forced to confront their problems and try to overcome them.

anyone else agree?

Original post by Tyrion_Lannister
I always use "you're only here once", and have for a long time. I would never say #YOLO other than to be ironic though. It's ****ing stupid.

Original post by miser
I don't know many people who have used the justification YOLO. The way I see it, it doesn't serve well at all as a justification for bad decisions, but contrarily is a justification (or an advocacy) for good ones only. You only live once, therefore make it count; i.e., don't screw it up.

You're right that it seems to be a popular version of carpe diem.

Original post by DirtyHarry01
Its misused to justify stupid decisions. Mistakes are part of life but surely living once means you would live to make good decisions.

[video="youtube;9A9Qn9nMJqU"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9A9Qn9nMJqU[/video]

YOLOOOOOOOOOOOO HNNGGGGAAAAEEEYYY
Original post by nopenopenope
[video="youtube;9A9Qn9nMJqU"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9A9Qn9nMJqU[/video]

YOLOOOOOOOOOOOO HNNGGGGAAAAEEEYYY

oh nope you are a one

Quick Reply

Latest