The Student Room Group

Phone dropped in water, panicking!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Flexa
Attachment not found

Awwww. You is just jealous init and I'm not Asian. mmmmwwwaaahhhh!
Reply 41
Original post by uberteknik
Awwww. You is just jealous init and I'm not Asian. mmmmwwwaaahhhh!

Yeah.. init..
Reply 42
Definite sign water got inside and was still in there and was causing it to malfunction. i.e. malfunction is not the same as broken. You did not drop it into salt water so no lasting damage should have occurred.

Give it more time like I said. If you can't see any obvious physical damage to the casing or screen, I'm pretty certain it will still be OK.

Ugh, this doesn't make me feel any better.

Is 2 days enough? It hasn't even been 24 hours and I'm dying..

Original post by Flexa
If you turned it on it might have burnt out, but try the rice idea.

'Burnt out' meaning gone permanently? Or just a temporary burn out?
Original post by Flexa
Yeah.. init..

My bad. Wit is a difficult concept to grasp.

Note to self: make allowances for stupid people when posting on TSR.
Reply 44
My bad. Wit is a difficult concept to grasp.

Note to self: make allowances for stupid people when posting on TSR.

Init
Reply 45
Original post by euphrosyne
Ugh, this doesn't make me feel any better.

'Burnt out' meaning gone permanently? Or just a temporary burn out?

Like burnt out the processor/chips inside because they were wet.
Reply 46
Original post by Flexa
Like burnt out the processor/chips inside because they were wet.

I'm not very technical so, does that mean due to the possible burn out, my phone won't ever work again? Or will it work once it's dry?
Reply 47
I'm not very technical so, does that mean due to the possible burn out, my phone won't ever work again? Or will it work once it's dry?

If it burnt out, it won't work again, however, it may have not burnt it, so it may work again.

only time will tell.

I bet you're dying to just turn it on, nobody can survive without a phone.
Reply 48
I'm not sure, but I'll email them if it still isn't working after a few days.

What kind of phone is it? It is highly unlikely that they will replace your phone if you dropped it in water. There are usually sensors in the phone for that, and if they've been triggered, they will know you exposed it to water. I was reading about the iPhone 5 warranty a couple of days ago though and there are certain ways around it if you find certain other things wrong with it, eg if there is a dead pixel on the screen they will replace it regardless of other damage that you may have inflicted yourself. It's worth looking up.
Reply 49
Original post by Flexa
If it burnt out, it won't work again, however, it may have not burnt it, so it may work again.

only time will tell.

I bet you're dying to just turn it on, nobody can survive without a phone.

Dying is not even the right word, this is absolute torture!

I have :frown:

Original post by Ronove
What kind of phone is it? It is highly unlikely that they will replace your phone if you dropped it in water. There are usually sensors in the phone for that, and if they've been triggered, they will know you exposed it to water. I was reading about the iPhone 5 warranty a couple of days ago though and there are certain ways around it if you find certain other things wrong with it, eg if there is a dead pixel on the screen they will replace it regardless of other damage that you may have inflicted yourself. It's worth looking up.

It's a Samsung Galaxy S4. Apparently, a friend of mine told me that they don't replace your phone if the damage is self-inflicted, regardless of whether it was an accident or not.. So I highly doubt that they'll offer me a new one. I'm not sure what other excuse I could come up with :lol:
(edited 10 years ago)
Dying is not even the right word, this is absolute torture!

I have :frown:

You shouldn't have removed the battery straight away:frown: Leave it in the rice and hope for the best. That's the upside of being a man, you can pee standing up and never drop your phone in the toilet:wink:
'Burnt out' meaning gone permanently?

Very, very, highly unlikely.

Burnt out means something overheated and caused physical damage.

Contary to popular opinion, pure water cannot conduct electricity - the physics of water molecules make that impossible. It is the contaminants in the water that do the conducting with salt being the obvious culprit.

I'm assuming you fished the phone out of relatively clean water? In which case, there will be few contaminants present and any unwanted currents that did flow will be tiny and not enough to permanently damage the electronics. But they can and do cause reversable malfunction.

Don't fret. Leave it another 24 hrs and try assembling tomorrow.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 52
Original post by pinda.college
You shouldn't have removed the battery straight away:frown: Leave it in the rice and hope for the best. That's the upside of being a man, you can pee standing up and never drop your phone in the toilet:wink:

Times like this, I wish I was a guy :cry2:

Very, very, highly unlikely.

Burnt out means something overheated and caused physical damage.

Contary to popular opinion, pure water cannot conduct electricity - the physics of water molecules make that impossible. It is the contaminants in the water that do the conducting with salt being the obvious culprit.

I'm assuming you fished the phone out of relatively clean water? In which case, there will be few contaminants present and any unwanted currents that did flow will be tiny and not enough to permanently damage the electronics. But they can and do cause reversable malfunction.

Don't fret. Leave it another 24 hrs and try assembling tomorrow.

So despite water entering the phone, the possibility of electricity being conducted is quite low, which I imagine is good, right? Is it definite that the water can disappear within a few days? I've left it in a cupboard (hidden from my parents :lol:) with no light whatsoever, just the rice around it. Should there be any light to speed up the process (evaporation and what not)?

If you can call toilet water 'relatively clean', then yes. There was nothing in the toilet, no number 1s or 2s, and it was only there for about 3 seconds. I really do hope you're right.

I'm trying not to, sorry.
Times like this, I wish I was a guy :cry2:

So despite water entering the phone, the possibility of electricity being conducted is quite low, which I imagine is good, right? Is it definite that the water can disappear within a few days? I've left it in a cupboard (hidden from my parents :lol:) with no light whatsoever, just the rice around it. Should there be any light to speed up the process (evaporation and what not)?

If you can call toilet water 'relatively clean', then yes. There was nothing in the toilet, no number 1s or 2s, and it was only there for about 3 seconds. I really do hope you're right.

Give it time, I'm sure it will be fine. Also I meant you shouldn't have switched the power one, taking the battery out was ok.

Light will have no impact on evaporation unless it's direct sunlight, but as you are from Dubai, I don't recommend that! If the cupboard is warm, so much the better.

The phone needs to be packed in rice for it to be of any worth.

And yes the water will evaporate in a few days.
Reply 55
Light will have no impact on evaporation unless it's direct sunlight, but as you are from Dubai, I don't recommend that! If the cupboard is warm, so much the better.

The phone needs to be packed in rice for it to be of any worth.

And yes the water will evaporate in a few days.

I love you so much right now, thank you!
I love you so much right now, thank you!

So does that mean you will marry me, have my babies and let me die in your arms?

Spoiler

Reply 57
I just turned on my lamp and kept it underneath it. I thought the heat would dry it up. Did work for me :biggrin:
Reply 58
Definitely stick it in bag of rice as the grains of rice absorb water and thus the phone will dry
Original post by bluemax
I just turned on my lamp and kept it underneath it. I thought the heat would dry it up. Did work for me :biggrin:

Don't do that again lool. You might not be as lucky next time.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending