The Student Room Group

MoD apologises as RAF poster angers Bloody Sunday families

Sounds like BS, I don't see how this could offend them. Certainly not sure how it could cause hurt or disgust and especially from a RAF advertisement.
(edited 10 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by thunder_chunky
Sounds like BS, I don't see how this could offend them. Certainly not sure how it could cause hurt or disgust and especially from a RAF advertisement.

Sadly, the troubles are alive and well in ulster, but were now seeing elements on both side of the divide attempting to fleece money as often as they can now for perceived wrongs.

There is nothing offensive in that advert.
The poster isn't offensive. However I guess some people in that area are still a little upset that members of our armed forces slaughtered their friends/relatives...
Original post by MatureStudent36
Sadly, the troubles are alive and well in ulster, but were now seeing elements on both side of the divide attempting to fleece money as often as they can now for perceived wrongs.

There is nothing offensive in that advert.

In terms of the troubles it's a case of the wound healing but the scars remaining, it will do for generations. Hell there are some Irish who still hate the British for the way British troops treated their people almost a hundred years ago. It'll never go away. That aside this isn't offensive whatsoever, I actually don't think the RAF played any part in the troubles did they? Frankly this is ridiculous and it's a shame the powers that be caved in so easily. Then again if they hadn't there probably would have been a riot.
Original post by thunder_chunky
In terms of the troubles it's a case of the wound healing but the scars remaining, it will do for generations. Hell there are some Irish who still hate the British for the way British troops treated their people almost a hundred years ago. It'll never go away. That aside this isn't offensive whatsoever, I actually don't think the RAF played any part in the troubles did they? Frankly this is ridiculous and it's a shame the powers that be caved in so easily. Then again if they hadn't there probably would have been a riot.

The RAF and the navy to a certain extent played a lesser extent, but they'd where still involved. Interestingly though the reserves and TA have always been tolerated by the nationalists.
Reply 5
Unfortunately, I'm siding with the DUP comment at the end of the article. It's an absolute load of nonsense.

I'm all for reconciliation, but I don't like humouring idiots of either side who come up with their invented or bigoted grievances and except the rest of the country to yield to them.
I hate how seriously every now takes someone else being offended or having hurt feelings. I'm personally rather offended by Gerry Adam's smug terrorist face swanning about Northern Ireland all the time, I don't kick up a fuss about it though and I wouldn't demand anyone care if I did.

To quote Stephen Fry:

“It's now very common to hear people say, 'I'm rather offended by that.' As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more... than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well, so ****ing what."
Reply 7
why does britain need a bigger army when it is isolated by a ****ing ocean, has nukes and has deficit issues?
Reply 8
Unfortunately, I'm siding with the DUP comment at the end of the article. It's an absolute load of nonsense.

I'm all for reconciliation, but I don't like humouring idiots of either side who come up with their invented or bigoted grievances and except the rest of the country to yield to them.
Reply 9
Original post by L i b

'Offence' is highly political, but the 'offended' hold so much power.
My father did a tour in Ulster with the army in the early 90s, and reconciliation was the norm even then- those that chose to make a fuss and set back peace were isolated by their communities.
In these days of increased political correctness (hate to use that word, but it's o so prevalent), the minorities must be given a voice however idiotic it may be.
What about those young people in Brandywell that wish to join the RAF reserves? Do they get a say?
Reply 10
Original post by locrian37
why does britain need a bigger army when it is isolated by a ****ing ocean, has nukes and has deficit issues?

You are aware that the Army and the RAF are different things, yes?

Find me a place on earth which has no air over it and I'll concede that the RAF isn't needed.
Reply 11
Original post by Drewski
You are aware that the Army and the RAF are different things, yes?

Find me a place on earth which has no air over it and I'll concede that the RAF isn't needed.

Find me a place on earth that is nuke proof and I'll concede that the nuclear end-game is obselete.
Reply 12
Find me a place on earth that is nuke proof and I'll concede that the nuclear end-game is obselete.

Which has what relevance to anything?

You know the roles operated by the RAF Reserves? Such terrible things like medical evacuations, search and rescue and humanitarian aid to name but 3. Heinous crimes, all of them :rolleyes: Clearly not worth doing because nuclear weapons do all of that.
The RAF have banter?

1879f18e_e542_e1c6.jpg
Reply 14
Original post by Drewski
Which has what relevance to anything?

You know the roles operated by the RAF Reserves? Such terrible things like medical evacuations, search and rescue and humanitarian aid to name but 3. Heinous crimes, all of them :rolleyes: Clearly not worth doing because nuclear weapons do all of that.

Why do you need guns on jets for medical evacuation, S&R (you mean Search and destroy right? :wink:) and rescue and blah blah?

If the natives do not acquiesce to our annexation program, send in the army and exterminate, no need for fancy planes with stealth modes.

Bigger? You do realise the Army is getting smaller?

Plus we are talking about the RAF, not the Army.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 16
Original post by MatureStudent36
Sadly, the troubles are alive and well in ulster.

First I've heard of it and I live here, hasnt effected me or my family my whole life, to tell the truth the same could be said for everyone else I know who lives here.

It is just a coincidence it was put up where it was,

people here love drama and grief, and hanging on to the past, its unfortunate what happened but people need to get up and move on,

stupid that it was taken down, hate the over-reactions here, suprised someone hasnt started a protest because mcdonalds now operates longer hours.
Reply 17
on the plus side thats first Ive heard about raf reserves being in N.I. might go take a look, cheers for uploading.
Original post by LukeM90
on the plus side thats first Ive heard about raf reserves being in N.I. might go take a look, cheers for uploading.

Reserves in all 3 services are recruiting in Northern Ireland.
If the MOD has a limited budget for advertising for recruitment then it would be better targeting it in areas where you are likely to get people to join up.

In an area where people hate the British Army then its not going to be the prime catchment area for getting recruits.

These communities were at war for years and so there's no point stirring things up. Yes we can say "you shouldn't be offended by this" but that just leads to stalemate, what happens is that starts bringing out belligerence amongst the dormant nationalist community there and you start hearing the old pledges of support for the IRA coming out.

I'm a Unionist on all issues about Scotland, NI etc and so I do regard this as Britain even in Catholic communities in NI where they don't necessarily like us, but I also take the view that these communities are our responsibility and we need to think of the potential benefits and potential costs of any action. If spending money on a recruitment billboard is going to cause anger and tensions thats a cost, is there a benefit that will outweigh it in terms of the number of recruits we would get? If no, then don't do it.

You could make the same argument for putting the recruitment billboards in mosques, no doubt that would generate some heated debate too - but if there are enough Muslims that want to join the RAF and fight for Britain then it might outweigh the costs. If not though, I wouldn't put the billboards there, I would put them in communities where you are likely to get a better return in terms of young recruits. There are loads of places in the UK where you could put them, where people would be positive about the armed forces, and you would get good keen young lads that want to serve their country, which is what you want for the RAF.

Quick Reply