The Student Room Group

History with History of Art Degree

Hi, I'm in y12, been researching degrees at different unis (initially looking at History on its own) and came across History with History of Art at various unis like Leeds/Exeter/Nottingham and I think it looks quite interesting. Was just wondering if I would need Art or Art History at A Level/GCSE to do this course? I am currently studying History, Politics, Maths and French. Didn't do Art/Art History GCSE.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Check the entry requirements - they won't all be the same.

Hull : "Our typical offer is 300 UCAS points from three A levels (or equivalent). One of these should be History, although we do consider applicants who have not studied the subject before. No previous study of art history is required."

UEA : ABB including History

Birmingham : AAB with History, Medieval History or Ancient History at grade A

But obviously even though they aren't asking for History of Art at A level, you'd have to be able to explain/justify your interest in this subject in your PS.
Reply 2
Art History is currently an superscribed course at many Unis - Bristol only managed to recruit 40 students last year - partly because many applicant think you have to already be doing Art History or be 'good at Art'. You don't.

Interested in History? Interested in the connections between a whole load of Humanities/Arts type subjects? Intrigued by things like the symbolism/artist's thought process in paintings?

Yes? Go for it.
Reply 4
Yeh I'm doing art history at Bristol and really enjoying it. You can take history units if you want, it really is a great alternative to straight history.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending