The Student Room Group

Marine A appeals against his conviction

(edited 10 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

On what grounds would the convicion be quashed?
Reply 2
lol @ petition, I hope MI5's got them on surveillance.

How about we send him to Afghanistan to be tried under a Taliban court, seeing as the murder was done on their land and against their representative. That would be much fairer than the joke of a sentence he got in the UK, which isn't going to deter any soldier from replicating those hideous crimes.
(edited 10 years ago)
Scum
Original post by Al-Mudaari

How about we send him to Afghanistan to be tried under a Taliban court, seeing as the murder was done on their land and against their representative. That would be much fairer than the joke of a sentence he got in the UK, which isn't going to deter any soldier from replicating those hideous crimes.

He got removed from the military and a life-sentence. How is that a joke of a sentence, it's the harshest sentence possible under British law.

Well firstly I doubt the Taliban have a fair system of trial, clearly they do not. Secondly the sentence isn't a joke, he got a life sentence as Stiff Little Fingers said above.
Of course he is going to appeal. Not going to change anything though.

Afghanistan isn't the Taliban's land; the Taliban do not control the country and the majority of their fighters are Pakistani, and in fact considering the Taliban don't subscribe or adhere to the Geneva convention, Marine A broke no law that day according to them. But seriously you seem to be implying Marine A should be tortured and beheaded, which is a disgusting stance to take.
Hold on. We train our soldiers to kill and then we're surprised when they do... And can I also add that while he did coldly murder someone, I would surmise that the taliban fighter would have done exactly the same, do you think that he would have thought twice about killing?
Original post by pol pot noodles
Afghanistan isn't the Taliban's land; the Taliban do not control the country and the majority of their fighters are Pakistani, and in fact considering the Taliban don't subscribe or adhere to the Geneva convention, Marine A broke no law that day according to them. But seriously you seem to be implying Marine A should be tortured and beheaded, which is a disgusting stance to take.

It's seems that we 'cant go down to their level' by killing, but their punishments seem to be perfectly fine to stoop down to... Liberals..
Original post by uktotalgamer
It's seems that we 'cant go down to their level' by killing, but their punishments seem to be perfectly fine to stoop down to... Liberals..

Liberal?? Al-Mudaari is like, a hardline Islamic fundamentalist. You can't just use that word to describe anyone you don't agree with.
Original post by Captain Haddock
Liberal?? Al-Mudaari is like, a hardline Islamic fundamentalist. You can't just use that word to describe anyone you don't agree with.

My point is that the Taliban soldiers wouldn't think twice about killing our guys. To be fair, we shouldn't even be there in the first place.

MI5 has you under surveillance.
Still believe he should be freed.
Hold on. We train our soldiers to kill and then we're surprised when they do... And can I also add that while he did coldly murder someone, I would surmise that the taliban fighter would have done exactly the same, do you think that he would have thought twice about killing?

What the Taliban would or would not have done had the situation been reversed is irrelevant.
I highly doubt he will succeed on either front. The crime was cut and dry, and the sentence was already lenient.
Original post by thunder_chunky
What the Taliban would or would not have done had the situation been reversed is irrelevant.

Why is it irrelevant? Hold on. Let me guess. "Because we shouldn't stoop down to their level."
Why is it irrelevant? Hold on. Let me guess. "Because we shouldn't stoop down to their level."

Because we aren't the Taliban and neither are our armed forces. Our forces are bound my laws national and international and our forces care about said rules and abiding by them. The Taliban, not so much. It is an irrelevant comparison and a desperate attempt by people to justify the act.
Reply 18
Has anyone got a link to the video? I would like to see the situation before I make a decision on my opinion
Original post by thunder_chunky
Because we aren't the Taliban and neither are our armed forces. Our forces are bound my laws national and international and our forces care about said rules and abiding by them. The Taliban, not so much. It is an irrelevant comparison and a desperate attempt by people to justify the act.

So it's alright to the Taliban to massacre as many as they want because they have no rules, but we must abide by ours? Yeah, ok bro.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending