The Student Room Group

UCAS Points

Hey,

Basically, I went to college and did my first year (September 2011) and got AS levels (B in Graphic Design and C in Photography) before dropping out and starting a new college, didn't enjoy it after a few months and dropped out once again for an apprenticeship in Design & Print (NVQ Level 3). I finished that apprenticeship in November '13 and I've finally decided on applying for university- Done everything just awaiting for my old boss to sort me a reference out!

Now, since I didn't finish college and get A levels I was wondering if I have any chance of even getting accepted into the universities I've applied as I'm aware some don't take NVQs (And I don't even know how many points the NVQ rewards me). I've applied for graphic design related courses so I'm assuming (well hoping) that a half decent portfolio which I acquired from first year and my apprenticeship will help me out, will that be the case or should I cut my loses and save the £23 processing fee and treat myself to 3 litres of Frosty Jacks and a Dominos?

Cheers,

Curtis
An apprenticeship isn't an academic qualification and most Unis (certainly for traditional academic courses) won't consider an apprenticeship as equivalent to A2s. However, clearly your apprenticeship and your intended course are vocational/related, so I'd suggest you PHONE your intended Uni(s) and ask what their policy is for that area. If they won't consider you for the full degree they may suggest a Foundation degree etc (ie. a pre-degree year).

Good Luck!
Reply 2
Original post by returnmigrant
An apprenticeship isn't an academic qualification and most Unis (certainly for traditional academic courses) won't consider an apprenticeship as equivalent to A2s. However, clearly your apprenticeship and your intended course are vocational/related, so I'd suggest you PHONE your intended Uni(s) and ask what their policy is for that area. If they won't consider you for the full degree they may suggest a Foundation degree etc (ie. a pre-degree year).

Good Luck!

Thank you for the reply, I appreciate it! I'll phone them up today at some point.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending