The Student Room Group

Austistic Cousin Won't Leave Me Alone

Anon or delete.

NOTE: I just want to say that I have in no way any issues with autistic people and I understand why my cousin is acting the way he is but I can't deal with it anymore and I need advice.

Both my cousin and I are in our 20s. We have never been close and neither have our families. But for the last few years he has been calling me at least once a week/fortnight and gets extremely upset if I don't pick up/am busy. He'll then send at least 5 texts asking why I'm busy, that he just wants to talk, that he feels bad/feels like he's done something wrong etc. every single time - even if I'm in the shower or out at dinner or with my boyfriend! He guilt trips me and makes me feel so awful that I dread my phone ringing in case it is him.

I've told him so many times that I don't have a problem with him but I'm genuinely a very busy person with a very busy life. And we aren't close... never have been, and if I'm honest, I don't have an interest in talking to him. That may sound really harsh but we have never shared anything personal, I'm better friends with people from school I haven't seen in years than with him!

His autism isn't severe btw - but he cannot read or understand social situations at all. For example, when I broke up with my ex, he carried on texting my ex and then kept on telling me how they were talking, such good friends etc!

I really don't know what to do. My friends tell me I'm too nice a person to tell him essentially to **** off. I've told him multiple times I'm busy or that I don't want to talk and yet he'll still send me emotionally blackmailing texts that make me feel so **** and awful. I'm having issues with my bf atm and have deadlines to meet so this is the last thing I want to deal with.

Thank you to anyone who read this. Please help me!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I've been in a similar situation. But he was a "friend". He blamed me for his behaviour and claimed that contacting someone 24/7 is normal and I'm clearly a **** friend if I don't do this. In the end, I had to get someone to have a word with him. He finally stopped contacting me after 4 months.
Reply 2
Also, when I do tell him I can't talk, it's like he doesn't understand someone else can be busy when he's free. For example, I said I was out at dinner with some friends and he sent 6 (!) texts asking why that meant I couldn't talk on the phone or text. I said I didn't want to be rude to my friends and he just didn't get it.

I have nothing to say to him anyway. He knows nothing about my life and he calls to 'catch up'. How can I make him stop calling me? Sometimes he calls every 2 days... It genuinely feels like harassment!
Reply 3
Original post by OU Student
I've been in a similar situation. But he was a "friend". He blamed me for his behaviour and claimed that contacting someone 24/7 is normal and I'm clearly a **** friend if I don't do this. In the end, I had to get someone to have a word with him. He finally stopped contacting me after 4 months.

Problem is that he's my cousin and I can't avoid him forever. I just want to get to a stage where I'll see and talk to him at family events only.

He does blame me for his actions. He says when I don't pick up it makes him insecure and then he worries he's annoyed me and then he starts crying! And then he'll send me voice clips of him crying or text me and tell me he's been crying for hours.

All over the fact that I couldn't pick up the damn phone!
Reply 4
Can't you get your aunt or uncle to speak to him about it?
Reply 5
Original post by Anonymous
Problem is that he's my cousin and I can't avoid him forever. I just want to get to a stage where I'll see and talk to him at family events only.

He does blame me for his actions. He says when I don't pick up it makes him insecure and then he worries he's annoyed me and then he starts crying! And then he'll send me voice clips of him crying or text me and tell me he's been crying for hours.

All over the fact that I couldn't pick up the damn phone!

Does he have any other friends / people he can talk to? It's not healthy to rely on one person for your happiness, which he appears to be doing.
Reply 6
Original post by syrettd
Can't you get your aunt or uncle to speak to him about it?

His parents don't talk to the rest of the family (long story!) but his mother is exactly like him in the sense she emotionally blackmails everyone around her because she's 'depressed'. She sort of expects everyone to go out of their way for her, and he's starting to do the same thing.

Does he have any other friends / people he can talk to? It's not healthy to rely on one person for your happiness, which he appears to be doing.

Yeah he does have friends but for some reason he always calls me. He says it's because we're close. Like I said, we've never been close in any way - it's really weird and I really don't feel comfortable talking to him. I don't know where he's got the idea we're close from... I see him once a year with family and avoided speaking to him on the phone all of 2013. But he still continued to text/attempt to call at least once every single week :frown:
Reply 7
I think you need to give him boundaries over what is and isn't acceptable.
Reply 8
Change phone numbers?

Aside from that you can either outright say that you aren't interested in retaining a friendship with him (harsh, imo), or just increasingly make your replies short and ignore the emotional blackmail.
Reply 9
I think you need to give him boundaries over what is and isn't acceptable.

I've said it multiple times but he doesn't listen.

When I said it wasn't ok to call me every week, he'd wait exactly two weeks to call me again.
When I said it wasn't ok to call be at 6am (which he did sometimes!) as no-one calls before 10am (we're at uni) he started calling me at exactly 10am.

If I ask for space, he'll give me like a day longer each time and then message being like 'look I did what you said, did I do it ok? Can we talk now?' ..?!

Original post by Swanbow
Change phone numbers?

Aside from that you can either outright say that you aren't interested in retaining a friendship with him (harsh, imo), or just increasingly make your replies short and ignore the emotional blackmail.

I've done everything (except change number). I've told him over and over we weren't close, that we never have been, that I don't understand this 'obsession' of talking on the phone all the time, that I'm busy etc.

This is the routine: he'll call, I won't pick up. He'll text asking if he's done something wrong, stating he wants to catch up/talk. I'll try and wait a day or two to reply stating im busy sorry (basically go away) but sometimes he'll call again before I can even do that. And then he'll leave even more 'what have i done wrong? can we talk? i want to talk!!!! when can we talk?!?!!?' messages.

It's really getting to me :frown:
Speak to your parents and ask them to have a word with him?
Reply 11
I
I've done everything (except change number). I've told him over and over we weren't close, that we never have been, that I don't understand this 'obsession' of talking on the phone all the time, that I'm busy etc.

This is the routine: he'll call, I won't pick up. He'll text asking if he's done something wrong, stating he wants to catch up/talk. I'll try and wait a day or two to reply stating im busy sorry (basically go away) but sometimes he'll call again before I can even do that. And then he'll leave even more 'what have i done wrong? can we talk? i want to talk!!!! when can we talk?!?!!?' messages.

If he texts just don't reply. Might seem a bit harsh but feeding people with contact can give the wrong impression. With autism it is especially hard for people to read social signals, you might just have to come out straight and say that you don't have interest in maintaining regular contact.

Anyway hope the situation sorts itself out.
Reply 12
I've said it multiple times but he doesn't listen.

When I said it wasn't ok to call me every week, he'd wait exactly two weeks to call me again.
When I said it wasn't ok to call be at 6am (which he did sometimes!) as no-one calls before 10am (we're at uni) he started calling me at exactly 10am.

If I ask for space, he'll give me like a day longer each time and then message being like 'look I did what you said, did I do it ok? Can we talk now?' ..?!

Are you sure there's no other family members you can get to have a word with him? If not, harsh as it sounds maybe just don't reply to his texts or anything. It's quite possible this has happened to him before, maybe he started speaking to you after the person before you started ignoring him- you did say it just started randomly.
Reply 13
Speak to your parents and ask them to have a word with him?

I was going to but my aunt will take it the wrong way if my parents say anything to my cousin. She knows what he's like but in her eyes he's her baby and will not accept anyone suggesting he's doing something wrong.

Original post by Swanbow
If he texts just don't reply. Might seem a bit harsh but feeding people with contact can give the wrong impression. With autism it is especially hard for people to read social signals, you might just have to come out straight and say that you don't have interest in maintaining regular contact.

Anyway hope the situation sorts itself out.

Thank you. I was asking for help because I've hold him I don't want to talk so many times but he doesn't seem to get it. So, as he's autistic, maybe there could be a better way? I don't know, I'm at my wits end, this has been going on for years!
Reply 14
Original post by syrettd
Are you sure there's no other family members you can get to have a word with him? If not, harsh as it sounds maybe just don't reply to his texts or anything. It's quite possible this has happened to him before, maybe he started speaking to you after the person before you started ignoring him- you did say it just started randomly.

My other cousins avoid him at all costs and he's never bothered them with texts/calls. He actually doesn't care about them at all, whereas he is obsessed with me for no reason!

Ignoring would work if it wasn't for the emotional blackmail. Just now he texted being like 'I really need to talk to you, it's important and I can't revise for my exams coming up because of it'. When he did that before, he was crying over the fact one friend from uni hadn't replied to a text....!?

But part of me gets scared that something serious is going on and that he genuinely needs my help... What if I ignore him and he does something stupid like hurts himself? Or fails all his exams because he couldn't revise and talking to me would've solved that? He's making it all into things I then worry about and feel responsible for, and it's really unfair!
Reply 15
My other cousins avoid him at all costs and he's never bothered them with texts/calls. He actually doesn't care about them at all, whereas he is obsessed with me for no reason!

Ignoring would work if it wasn't for the emotional blackmail. Just now he texted being like 'I really need to talk to you, it's important and I can't revise for my exams coming up because of it'. When he did that before, he was crying over the fact one friend from uni hadn't replied to a text....!?

But part of me gets scared that something serious is going on and that he genuinely needs my help... What if I ignore him and he does something stupid like hurts himself? Or fails all his exams because he couldn't revise and talking to me would've solved that? He's making it all into things I then worry about and feel responsible for, and it's really unfair!

Yeah, I can see why you would worry. But then at the same time, this sounds like it's all really stressing you out, and you have a busy life and him phoning you so often is just adding on top of all that, and that with the worrying he gives you, I think it's all pretty harmful, you could end up quite ill. So it really does need to be sorted.

You said his autism is severe, does he have any care workers visit him that you could speak to? I think you might need to talk to a professional about how to best handle this without him getting upset and doing something bad. If you're at uni you could try the welfare officer, or if not maybe phoning a charity that supports families and friends of people with autism and they may be able to offer some advice. I know you don't want to get on the wrong side of your aunt, but maybe you will have to turn to your parents for help.
Maybe have a word with your parents or with your aunt and uncle and explain to them what's happening and how it's affecting you. They'll obviously understand better than he would and might be able to get through to him that he needs to cut down. He's more likely to listen to his parents.

I'd say that getting his parents to explain to him is better than just ignoring him because it stops there being any potential family tensions.

You're not responsible for his behaviour. You could also block his number on your mobile?
Reply 18
Original post by syrettd
Yeah, I can see why you would worry. But then at the same time, this sounds like it's all really stressing you out, and you have a busy life and him phoning you so often is just adding on top of all that, and that with the worrying he gives you, I think it's all pretty harmful, you could end up quite ill. So it really does need to be sorted.

You said his autism is severe, does he have any care workers visit him that you could speak to? I think you might need to talk to a professional about how to best handle this without him getting upset and doing something bad. If you're at uni you could try the welfare officer, or if not maybe phoning a charity that supports families and friends of people with autism and they may be able to offer some advice. I know you don't want to get on the wrong side of your aunt, but maybe you will have to turn to your parents for help.

I don't know how bad his autism is - he seems like a 'normal' person but he doesn't understand how to act in social situations. He doesn't notice awkwardness and doesn't realise when it's not appropriate to say certain things etc. He doesn't have a care worker.

His mum is the only person that will get through to him. But she hates my guts and the rest of the family's and never wants to see us again. So even approaching her will be extremely difficult. And then to tell her that her son is essentially harassing me? She'll flip and say this is typical of my side of the family/we don't care enough to understand.

The only solution I can think of is to get him, somehow, distracted by something else and to forget this 'closeness'. At the moment he gets sooo upset about everything, he needs to not care or place so much emphasis on it! But I think that's where his autism comes in, he just doesn't understand why.

Original post by lizlaz350
Maybe have a word with your parents or with your aunt and uncle and explain to them what's happening and how it's affecting you. They'll obviously understand better than he would and might be able to get through to him that he needs to cut down. He's more likely to listen to his parents.

See what I wrote here ^^ in regards to his mum. His mum has both babied him and ignored his autism so the way he is now is a product of being spoilt, naive and being autistic all combined!
Reply 19
You're not responsible for his behaviour. You could also block his number on your mobile?

I know I'm not but he makes me feel really guilty all the time. If I block his number, he'll ask other relatives why and find other ways to contact me (this has happened before).

Original post by shawn_o1
The title of this thread... I appreciate the OP's disclaimer but it's just as discriminatory as The Sun's "1,200 killed by mental patients" headline.

I have tried to understand him and I have been more than accomodating the last few years. If I didn't care/if I was being a horrible person I would have straight up blocked him from everything years ago and let him cry to himself.

Instead, I've given him much more time than any of my other friends or cousins. I have put up with his emotional blackmail. I have cancelled holiday plans so that he can come down in the summer and see the family. Whilst I was going through depression I still made time for him so that he could tell me how someone didn't like his facebook profile picture and it upset him, whilst my world was melting.

So please don't think I haven't tried or that I'm discriminatory. It's the exact opposite.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending