The Student Room Group

Do you have a question about studying at Tilburg University or Holland in general?

We are on this forum to answer any questions you may have about the programs we offer at Tilburg University, the application procedure and admission requirements. But of course we will also gladly tell you more about what studying in Holland is all about. We know how hard, and at the same time important, choosing the right study program and university is. So we would be glad to help you on your way.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hi,

Thanks for putting up a thread.

I'm interested in the BSc Econometrics and Op Research program at Tilburg. And i was hoping if you could supplement me with the current curriculum for the 3 year program.

Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi!
Thanks for your message. The Econometrics and Operations Research is a very interesting and challenging program! Key courses in this Bachelor's program are Mathematical Analysis, Linear Algebra, Probability, Statistics, Econometrics, Operations Research and Quantitative Finance. You can find the current curriculum at http://www.tilburguniversity.edu/education/bachelors-programmes/econometrics-and-operations-research/programme/courses/
More indepth info about the courses can be found in our electronic studyguide: http://mystudy.uvt.nl/it10.Vaklijst?pfac=FEB&taal=e
If you have any further questions, let me know!
Reply 3
Hi there
I'm considering a Masters at Amsterdam. Could you tell me a rough guide to living costs in the capital (rent for one room in a shared flat, for example; cost of food - how comparable to England?)? I am definitely right that a Dutch masters is 1 year?
Hi! Master's in the Netherland are indeed generally 1 year. The rent in the larger cities for a room is difficult to estimate. Generally, it is a bit higher than in the small cities. I know in the south rooms range between €250 and €400. My guess is that for Amsterdam rent would be somewhere between €300 and €500. It might be helpful to have a look at any of these this websites: www.kamernet.nl or www.kamertje.nl. These websites are in Dutch, but students offer their rooms there, so it is a nice informal way to find accommodation. Good luck with your search!
Reply 5
How much are university fees in Nederland? Baring in mind you've a Dutch passport and birthplace?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi MoXVII!

In the Netherlands, the general rule is that all EU citizens pay a state-determined tuition fee. This is because the government gives a subsidy for each EU student. The fees are determined on a national level, and this year the standard fee is €1906. Some colleges charge more, e.g. the university colleges, where you get special services in return (like smaller classes, etc). Some programs may be more expensive because you need special equipment, etc. Private universities determine their fees all on their own. But the majority of the large universities in the Netherlands are public and the rule i mentioned here applies.
For non-EU students, the tuition fees are determined by the university and obviously there is some similarities in those, because of the market value. Pleae note that this second type of tuition fee, the instititional fee, also applies in some other cases. E.g.: when you do a second Bachelor's degree in the Netherlands an dyou already have one; the govermnent says: 'well, we already subsidized one, we're not going to do that twice'. So then you pay the institutional fee, whatever it is. You can find an overview of Tilburg's fees here, it might be helpful as a reference point: https://www.tilburguniversity.edu/students/administration/tuitionfees/.

Good luck with your decision!
Reply 7
Hi. I consider having a MSc in Tilburg university next year. Could you give me a few information about the living costs in the city? I would also like to learn if there is accomodation available ( campus) for postgraduates students from the EUROPEAN UNION?

Thanks in advance for your time.
Thank you for your questions! The living costs are approximately 850 euros per month, including housing, insurance, food etc. On this website you can find a complete overview: http://www.tilburguniversity.edu/education/masters-programmes/practicalissues/beforearrival/financialpreparations/

We cooperate with two housing agencies who offer furnished rooms and studios either close to campus or close to the city centre. From the city centre you can reach our campus by train (2 minutes), bus (5-7 minutes while it stops everywhere :wink:) or by bike (10 minutes). If you are accepted for a Master’s program, you will receive an inlog code in June, to book your room online. Which works the same as booking a hotel online. For more information you can also visit: http://www.tilburguniversity.edu/education/masters-programmes/practicalissues/beforearrival/accommodation-1/

Which Master’s program are you considering?
Reply 9
Thanks a lot for your response. It is really helpful. I am considering MSc in human resources management.
Hi!

I´m interested in applying to the International Business Administration bachelor course at Tilburg University for autumn 2014. I graduated last summer with a total of 32 IB points and I´m wondering whether this is a high enough score to have a good chance to being admitted into the course? How tough is the competition to get into this particular program?

Thank you for your help!
Original post by demmi25
Thanks a lot for your response. It is really helpful. I am considering MSc in human resources management.

That is a good choice! If you want to ask a personal question about the program you can e-mail the School of Social and Behavioural Sciences directly at [email protected]
Original post by ThePhilosophy
Hi!

I´m interested in applying to the International Business Administration bachelor course at Tilburg University for autumn 2014. I graduated last summer with a total of 32 IB points and I´m wondering whether this is a high enough score to have a good chance to being admitted into the course? How tough is the competition to get into this particular program?

Thank you for your help!

Thank you for your question :smile:!
The selection for our Bachelor’s program in International Business Administration is not only about points. The selection criteria are focused on international experience, international background and motivation in order to create a multicultural classroom; and on your grades. Furthermore, you need an International Baccalaureate (IB) diploma, including Mathematics Standard Level or Mathematics Higher Level. 32 points is the average amount of points of our current Bachelor’s students. Moreover, it is important to know that in the Netherlands you have to proof yourself during your first year. At the end of the first year, all programs issue binding study advices. If you have earned 42 credits (ECTS*) or more, you will be allowed to continue with your current program of study (42 credits is seventy percent of the first year subjects).If you have earned less than 42 credits, you will be issued with a negative advice. This is a binding advice (mandatory recommendation) and means that you will not be allowed to register for this particular program during the next three years.
The application deadline is 1 May 2014. For more information please visit: http://www.tilburguniversity.edu/education/bachelors-programs/international-business-administration/admission/
Reply 13
I am interested in applying to Tilburg University to the International Business Administration bachelor programme, although I would like to know how does the selection process works for international students with degrees from outside Europe.

I have finished high school in Brazil and by the time that I apply I will have completed 1 year of University studies, I don´t know if my high school grades are enough for Tilburg University, but my currently university gpa is 9.0 ( the maximum is 10,0) with that being said, does Tilburg University looks at university grades in cases like mine where students need 1 year of university studies to be able to apply to dutch universities?

Thanks in advance.
Original post by Squexy
I am interested in applying to Tilburg University to the International Business Administration bachelor programme, although I would like to know how does the selection process works for international students with degrees from outside Europe.

I have finished high school in Brazil and by the time that I apply I will have completed 1 year of University studies, I don´t know if my high school grades are enough for Tilburg University, but my currently university gpa is 9.0 ( the maximum is 10,0) with that being said, does Tilburg University looks at university grades in cases like mine where students need 1 year of university studies to be able to apply to dutch universities?

Thanks in advance.

Dear Squexy,

Thank you for your question:smile:
Our admissions officer, Ms Nel Veenstra responded as follows: "Yes, we look at High School grades (especially Math) and at University grades (Math again and whether the subjects taken are relevant to IBA)."

Moreover, as said before: the selection for our Bachelor’s program in International Business Administration is not only about grades. The selection criteria are focused on international experience, international background and motivation in order to create a multicultural classroom; and on your grades. It is important to know that in the Netherlands you have to proof yourself during your first year. At the end of the first year, all programs issue binding study advices. If you have earned 42 credits (ECTS*) or more, you will be allowed to continue with your current program of study (42 credits is seventy percent of the first year subjects). The application deadline is 1 May 2014. For more information please visit:http://www.tilburguniversity.edu/education/bachelors-programs/international-business-administration/admission/
Reply 15
Original post by Tilburg University
Dear Squexy,

Thank you for your question:smile:
Our admissions officer, Ms Nel Veenstra responded as follows: "Yes, we look at High School grades (especially Math) and at University grades (Math again and whether the subjects taken are relevant to IBA)."

Moreover, as said before: the selection for our Bachelor’s program in International Business Administration is not only about grades. The selection criteria are focused on international experience, international background and motivation in order to create a multicultural classroom; and on your grades. It is important to know that in the Netherlands you have to proof yourself during your first year. At the end of the first year, all programs issue binding study advices. If you have earned 42 credits (ECTS*) or more, you will be allowed to continue with your current program of study (42 credits is seventy percent of the first year subjects). The application deadline is 1 May 2014. For more information please visit:http://www.tilburguniversity.edu/education/bachelors-programs/international-business-administration/admission/

Thank you
I'm interested in applying to Econometrics and Operations Research bachelor program. I'm 30 years old lawyer in Brazil (graduated in 2013). I have graduated in high school in 2002 and my Math score is 7,7 out of 10.
I also had Economics and Accounting classes during my Law bachelors. My doubts ar: am I eligible for the Econometrics and Operations Research bachelor program? If yes, do I have to take any additional Math exams? If yes, is there any exam that I can take in advance, like SAT?

Thanks
Hi Gustavorocha, great to hear you're interested in our EOR Bachelor program! I will check with our admissions office to be sure and get back to you shortly about it!
Dear Gustavo,

This is Anne from the Bachelor's recruitment office. Sorry it took me a while to get back to you! To know for sure whether you are eligible for EOR there is only one way: apply. Based on your transcripts our admissions office can determine whether you meet the requirements. If you already finished a Bachelor's, or at least one year of a Bachelor's, does increase your chances of being accepted. We may ask you to take a math exam if you are not eligible for the program. I'm not sure how often this occurs but my estimation is that it doesn't happen a lot. SAT's however, we normally don't work with.

The easiest way to answer your question would be to get you directly in touch with our admissoins officer, ms Veenstra. She knows all the ins and outs, but she doesn't visit this forum. You can send her a message at [email protected]. You can also email me at [email protected].

I also have to let you know that the applicatoin deadline for the 2014-2015 intake has passed for non-EU students. However, if you hold an EU passport, you can apply until July 1st. You can find a more elaborate description of how to apply on our website: https://www.tilburguniversity.edu/education/bachelors-programs/econometrics-and-operations-research/admission/

Hope this was helpful!

Best regards,
Anne Kuijs
Original post by Tilburg University
We are on this forum to answer any questions you may have about the programs we offer at Tilburg University, the application procedure and admission requirements. But of course we will also gladly tell you more about what studying in Holland is all about. We know how hard, and at the same time important, choosing the right study program and university is. So we would be glad to help you on your way.

I am a prospective student from India who is interested in doing the Master of Information Science with Specialization in Business Communication and Digital Media next year. I hold an MA In English Language and Literature (70%, 2 years full time, Bharathidasan University, India) and a BSc in Chemistry (49%, 3 years full time, Mahatma Gandhi University, India). I would like to know whether I would be require to complete a pre-master programme before I start the Master of Information Science with Specialization in Business Communication and Digital Media?

In addition, the application process requires that I submit copies of my transcripts and diplomas that are validated as true copies by the issuing university. I completed my postgraduate and graduate degrees in 2000 and 1998 respectively. It would be difficult to go back to the universities to get the diploma and transcript copies attested as original copies. Instead, can submit copies attested as true copies by a government notary of peace as it is usually done at UK universities?

Thanks,
Sam,
Bangalore,
India.

Latest