The Student Room Group

Feel like things are ruined between me and my girlfriend

So my girlfriend and have been together for half a year, I think she is amazing and she knows that I care for her and she still assures me she feels the same way. From about mid november we started having some problems concerning our relationship, she feels that things have been different lately and we have had quite a few big arguments. Just yesterday we had a pretty big argument over instant messaging (because we dont live too near each other so it isn't always easy to see each other and it was late at night so I couldn't really talk on the phone) she explained how she felt exactly - how she was unsure about where the relationship is going and how she doesn't know what to do because she cares for me still and discussed the idea of going on a break (assuring me that we wont be seeing anyone else through it) and I am not quite sure what to make of it. There are obviously some advantages and disadvantages of going on a break but I'm just unsure if it is maybe her way of breaking things off easily and I am really scared, I don't know what to do.

Has anyone had similar experiences and did they help or did nothing change? Are there any simple things that I can do that would keep things going?

Thank you

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
If you don't mind us asking, what is it that you argue about?
Reply 2
Original post by Orthonym
If you don't mind us asking, what is it that you argue about?

There have been times when she has cancelled plans last minute, now I'm usually quite understanding but sometimes when it is really weak excuses I have made it clear that I was annoyed, tbh I don't even know half the time, sometimes simple conversations do just turn into disputes. That probably makes it sound a lot worse than it is
Reply 3
Hmm that's concerning. Going on a break rarely works. That's code for "i've found someone else i like and want a fling, but i want to come back to you when the fun is gone".
Reply 4
Original post by james1211
Hmm that's concerning. Going on a break rarely works. That's code for "i've found someone else i like and want a fling, but i want to come back to you when the fun is gone".

This
Reply 5

Yeah I completely understand, she did assure me that we would not be seeing anyone else whilst on a break but I get what you are saying, I'd just like to say I trust her enough and I think she respects me enough to not do anything like that
Reply 6
Original post by qazwsxedc5
Yeah I completely understand, she did assure me that we would not be seeing anyone else whilst on a break but I get what you are saying, I'd just like to say I trust her enough and I think she respects me enough to not do anything like that

I would be wary. I don't think i could ever go on a break, either they're the same person when you get back together and nothing has changed, or they're a different person and you could just end up feeling alienated.
Kinda sounds like she's always having to take control. Is that true or is it just bad interpretation? :P
Reply 8
I would be wary. I don't think i could ever go on a break, either they're the same person when you get back together and nothing has changed, or they're a different person and you could just end up feeling alienated.

Because we have had differences lately I asked for a fresh start in the new year. Just for us to forget about the differences we have and I promised to change things that she feels are slightly off in our relationship. I know it's difficult but it is my first proper relationship and I don't want to lose her
Reply 9
I don't like to say it because it's probably very frustrating to read, but I don't know if this is a relationship that has much of a real future, based on two things; firstly, it hasn't been going on for very long and yet a few months in issues started to arise. I think it's great that you have obviously worked at rebuilding after these big arguments, however that is quite early, I feel, for genuine problems to begin and for that reason don't see how it could go on much longer. You would have to make a real effort to change things, but to me it sounds as though by suggesting a break she isn't really looking to learn how to change, or interested in you promising to change. By suggesting a break, she is almost definitely wanting to experience life without you for a little while, just to see what that is like and if it is 'that' bad.

I'm not sure what else you could do. There may be little things, and you could try really hard to put a big happy face on and hope that just sticks permanently until it becomes true, however it does not sound as though she is quite prepared to do that. I think this seems to have a deadline already, unfortunately. =/ Apologies if I've misunderstood or assumed anything, there just doesn't seem to be much hope here in my understanding.
Reply 10
Original post by theclicheblonde
Kinda sounds like she's always having to take control. Is that true or is it just bad interpretation? :P

I wouldn't say so, I'm not great at explaining. I feel like I have tried for the most part to fix things and have taken responsibility of things that have happened to try to progress things, I'd like to think we have equal input in everything and if something is on her mind or whatever then she can say it and likewise for me. Never really looked at it that way tbh
Reply 11
Original post by awe
I don't like to say it because it's probably very frustrating to read, but I don't know if this is a relationship that has much of a real future, based on two things; firstly, it hasn't been going on for very long and yet a few months in issues started to arise. I think it's great that you have obviously worked at rebuilding after these big arguments, however that is quite early, I feel, for genuine problems to begin and for that reason don't see how it could go on much longer. You would have to make a real effort to change things, but to me it sounds as though by suggesting a break she isn't really looking to learn how to change, or interested in you promising to change. By suggesting a break, she is almost definitely wanting to experience life without you for a little while, just to see what that is like and if it is 'that' bad.

I'm not sure what else you could do. There may be little things, and you could try really hard to put a big happy face on and hope that just sticks permanently until it becomes true, however it does not sound as though she is quite prepared to do that. I think this seems to have a deadline already, unfortunately. =/ Apologies if I've misunderstood or assumed anything, there just doesn't seem to be much hope here in my understanding.

I really appreciate that comment, thank you. I'm just scared to lose her, things were going so well for a while and it was great but I don't know anymore to be honest. I would like to be optimistic enough to believe that things will get better, they will get back to how they were cause it is usually minor things that cause arugments, things that could be easily changed but the more I think about it the more I think you may be right. Thank you
Reply 12
I really appreciate that comment, thank you. I'm just scared to lose her, things were going so well for a while and it was great but I don't know anymore to be honest. I would like to be optimistic enough to believe that things will get better, they will get back to how they were cause it is usually minor things that cause arugments, things that could be easily changed but the more I think about it the more I think you may be right. Thank you

You're welcome. I agree with the other response that says things seem a little one-sided, and to me it's as though you are working quite hard emotionally and literally to keep things going well, whereas she perhaps is doing so on the surface but doesn't really believe it. =/ Which again, is a little hopeless really. Sorry to bring you down! It's wonderful you are optimistic but can also look realistically at the situation when you need to.
And I know what you mean about the arguments - tiny little things that escalate, and you don't quite know they've done so until it's too late to go back to being happy. However whilst the things are tiny, it's the frequency of the serious arguing that matters, and at the end of the day those are the things that have the biggest affect on a partner. That negativity, even if it came out of nowhere, will build up and become a bit hard to ignore even if you're trying your best. Good luck, though, I hope I'm wrong if you continue with the relationship. ^^
I can 100% relate to this post! My boyfriend moved to uni this September whilst I stayed at college for a third year. We've been together for 3.5 years. Anyway, if shes anything like me, she just wants to talk because she misses you. Me and my boyfriend ring/Skype every evening to keep conversation and closeness between us. She means no harm, im sure.
Reply 14
Original post by awe
You're welcome. I agree with the other response that says things seem a little one-sided, and to me it's as though you are working quite hard emotionally and literally to keep things going well, whereas she perhaps is doing so on the surface but doesn't really believe it. =/ Which again, is a little hopeless really. Sorry to bring you down! It's wonderful you are optimistic but can also look realistically at the situation when you need to.
And I know what you mean about the arguments - tiny little things that escalate, and you don't quite know they've done so until it's too late to go back to being happy. However whilst the things are tiny, it's the frequency of the serious arguing that matters, and at the end of the day those are the things that have the biggest affect on a partner. That negativity, even if it came out of nowhere, will build up and become a bit hard to ignore even if you're trying your best. Good luck, though, I hope I'm wrong if you continue with the relationship. ^^

Thank you, I have a lot to think about with all of it to be honest. Yeah I kinda am thinking the things you are saying and totally get that and hate feeling like I may be wasting my time, it's just so many mixed messages I'm getting and I just don't know for sure how she is feeling and it's killing me
Reply 15
Thank you, I have a lot to think about with all of it to be honest. Yeah I kinda am thinking the things you are saying and totally get that and hate feeling like I may be wasting my time, it's just so many mixed messages I'm getting and I just don't know for sure how she is feeling and it's killing me

Ask her! After six months, you deserve the right to ask her. There is nothing wrong with asking for an update on someone else's feelings if they aren't making them even just a little clear. There's a strange thought, especially in young relationships I think, that it is 'taboo' to be forward about these things, but we aren't mind readers. P: Particularly because of the difficulties had, you really should just ask her how exactly she feels about the relationship right now, without honey-coating things and without trying to tell you what she thinks you 'want' to hear. Make it obvious you're looking for the truth, not just automatic buzzwords to reassure you.
From my experience a girl saying that she wants a break is the cue for you to end it with her.
Reply 17
Original post by awe
Ask her! After six months, you deserve the right to ask her. There is nothing wrong with asking for an update on someone else's feelings if they aren't making them even just a little clear. There's a strange thought, especially in young relationships I think, that it is 'taboo' to be forward about these things, but we aren't mind readers. P: Particularly because of the difficulties had, you really should just ask her how exactly she feels about the relationship right now, without honey-coating things and without trying to tell you what she thinks you 'want' to hear. Make it obvious you're looking for the truth, not just automatic buzzwords to reassure you.

Thanks for all the advise, I'm awful in these situations. I just need time to think things through I guess
I'm not an expert, but as a girl who's been in a couple of serious relationships, I'd say that if you aren't still completely head over heels about each other after six months then it's not a good sign. Personally, I don't see the point in going on a break... if you feel the need to take a break from each other at a young age and so early in the relationship, perhaps you should wait to find someone who you don't have these problems with.
I realise these things can be hard to hear, but maybe it's for the best.
But don't do anything too fast, talk about how you feel with her first before making any decisions, and then decide afterwards what you're gonna do
I've had really similar experiences with my boyfriend; we've also been going out for the same amount of time funnily enough!

Some of the arguments we've had have been petty and some of them have been quite big; I have considered ending it many times as it does seem like the easiest thing to so sometimes. But, I've kept with it and I stand by my decision.

Relationships are difficult, but if you care about someone it's important to keep with it. Some of the arguments I have with my boyfriend are mainly due to the fact that we don't get to see each other as much as we'd like and it causes frustration. However, once work does down for us both in 4 months or so, we know that won't be a problem. So we keep with it.

Relationships are difficult regardless of who they're with; it's up to you to decide whether it's worth it or not. If it is, I suggest you talk to your girlfriend to find the root of the problem and try to solve it (like me and my boyfriend figured out it was because we barely get time alone together). Talk to her and work it out; tell her you're willing to put in the effort to figure it out and show her you care about making it work. Communication is vital.

If you need anyone to talk to or still need more advice on what's going on, please feel free to message; I understand exactly what you're going through. Hang in there!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending