The Student Room Group

What degree has the best prospects ... Philosophy or Economics?

From a good university, I'm Scottish so either Glasgow or Edinburgh. (Russell Group)

Philosophy (MA) or Economics (MA)

thanks
Reply 1
I think both degrees would offer quite good prospects. Economics is obviously geared towards a slightly more mathematical route as it can veer into looking at finance and how things are distributed, and philosophy is a bit more on the humanities side of things. Both of the courses are quite different. Obviously Economics is a discipline that has a really wide application to the real world, and links with things like politics. Philosophy is also good in this respect, because the skills you learn can be applied to a variety of jobs.

If you are looking at universities like Glasgow and Edinburgh, you should be aware that the Scottish degree system at these universities allows you to study two other subjects at undergraduate level alongside the one you applied for. This means if you apply to study economics and gain entry to Glasgow or Edinburgh, you can also study philosophy. You only have to decide after your second year whether you want to do a joint degree in Philosophy and Economics, or whether you want to focus on just one. This makes subject choice really flexible!

I know that Edinburgh offers joint Economics and Philosophy, and so does Glasgow so why not just do both? You don't have to decide on one subject now. I honestly think you have a good chance with either degree so the focus should be on which one you enjoy most, or if you want to study both.
(edited 10 years ago)
Which course do you want to do? Which interests you the most?

Its barking doing any course simply because of 'the money'. If you don't enjoy the subject, then no amount of job prospects will make it any better.

Philosophy (like many other Soc-Sci or Humanities subjects) doesn't have an obvious career pathway and graduates end up in an astonishing range of different careers. Have a look at where these grads ended up - http://www.kent.ac.uk/careers/Philosophy.htm

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending