The Student Room Group

TSR Curry Society

Scroll to see replies

I think I can handle spicy food then realise I can't when I'm a bright red tomato and my eyes are streaming. You can't really back down after that though so you have to carry on pretending you love it. I have had times where I can't taste anything for days afterwards. Hurts twice as much the other way that's what cha gotta remember. :frown:
Original post by Kallisto
I know a good recipe. Its simple, but it tastes well:

Take turkey meat and cut it in slices, after that fry the slices in a saucepan. Then heat the the turkey meat. When the meat is well done, add two or three bottles of curry sauce and pieces of fruits to the saucepan. Keep the curry sauce warm and boil rice up in the meantime. Last but not least serve the rice with the curry sauce on top. Enjoy your meal!

Fry the meat then 'heat' it, wouldn't it already be hot from frying?

This recipe is like the epitome of student cooking. Repped for effort anyway.
Original post by Wilfred Little
What? Balti is not hot, my mom can eat it. Curry sauce from the chippy has more heat than a balti.

O your mum can eat it, that gives everyone a really good idea as to how how it is. A balti is typically a medium/hot curry from a takeaway, leaning more towards the medium.
curry's not even Indian...
Original post by Twenty Three
O your mum can eat it, that gives everyone a really good idea as to how how it is. A balti is typically a medium/hot curry from a takeaway, leaning more towards the medium.

No it isn't. Emphasis is on flavour not heat, they are mild. I've had balti from loads of places never had one with heat in it.

Actually if you're using a Korma as mild then I can see why you'd say a Balti is medium but still, there's never been any heat in any Balti I've eaten. You would have to be a complete fanny to think a Balti is too hot.
(edited 10 years ago)
No it isn't. Emphasis is on flavour not heat, they are mild. I've had balti from loads of places never had one with heat in it.

Actually if you're using a Korma as mild then I can see why you'd say a Balti is medium but still, there's never been any heat in any Balti I've eaten. You would have to be a complete fanny to think a Balti is too hot.

Thing is some people are "fanny's" as you call them, if someone says they are a curry wimp I would put them in this category. I never have and never will understand whats wrong with some people not liking anything hot, it can be hard to grasp if you like hot stuff but some people just don't like it!

And of course you would use Korma as mild, what else would it be?!?! :confused:
(edited 10 years ago)
Fry the meat then 'heat' it, wouldn't it already be hot from frying?

This recipe is like the epitome of student cooking. Repped for effort anyway.

Yeah, you are right. My mistake. Nevertheless it should be kept warm by heating when the curry sauce and the pieces of fruit was added. :smile:

(...) This recipe is like the epitome of student cooking. Repped for effort anyway.

No matter whether it is a typical student food or not. I like it! if you know a good recipe, then give it to me, please! I like curry so much, especially its a hearty food. By the way thanks for rep.
(edited 10 years ago)
I love that you quoted me in this Wilf! I remember raving about curry on your visitor wall many moons ago.

I ****ing love curry. I had a delish king prawn jalfrezi last night, with plenty of spinach mixed in. :coma: I hate mild, creamy curries. I like my curry tomato-based and spicy. Mmmm.
Original post by Twenty Three
Thing is some people are "fanny's" as you call them, if someone says they are a curry wimp I would put them in this category. I never have and never will understand whats wrong with some people not liking anything hot, it can be hard to grasp if you like hot stuff but some people just don't like it!

There's nothing wrong with it lol, I don't like blazing hot curries, Mexican I do like hot cos even though it's hot you can still taste all the flavours.

And of course you would use Korma as mild, what else would it be?!?! :confused:

I dunno tbh, was just going by taste, both different obviously but I'd describe them both as equally inoffensive to my taste buds.

Original post by amyshamblesxx
I love that you quoted me in this Wilf! I remember raving about curry on your visitor wall many moons ago.

I ****ing love curry. I had a delish king prawn jalfrezi last night, with plenty of spinach mixed in. :coma: I hate mild, creamy curries. I like my curry tomato-based and spicy. Mmmm.

Will try one of these, had jalfrezi before (chicken) but can't remember what it's like.
Mods why is it that I added 5 pictures and they're not visible in the Curry Society group page thingy? Do they need to be approved?

Rock Fan
x

Illusionary
x

Hal.E.Lujah
x

#ja
Mods why is it that I added 5 pictures and they're not visible in the Curry Society group page thingy? Do they need to be approved?

#ja

Can you go through the exact steps that you tried to go through to add the pictures? I can't see anything there either.
Original post by amyshamblesxx

Same, I like a thick base too. Chicken Tikka pieces in it and a side dish of mix veg completes me, honestly, it's like I'm in a dream world.
Did someone say Curry? :perv:
Making one this weekend as Saturday is curry and football day at Little Towers.

Will be following Meenu's blender tip.

Original post by meenu89
I've never eaten any curry apart from one which is home-made. One tip which I always give is use a hand blender to do the onions and the spices.

Chop the onions as normal then blend without frying with the spices? Then add to the ghee once it's heated?

Original post by Illusionary
Can you go through the exact steps that you tried to go through to add the pictures? I can't see anything there either.

Just followed it as normal I think? Will try again and if it fails I'll let you know.

Regards.
Original post by James A
Same, I like a thick base too. Chicken Tikka pieces in it and a side dish of mix veg completes me, honestly, it's like I'm in a dream world.

You got any suggestions for naan, rice etc? I usually just buy my naans from Asda then toast em and have those.
You got any suggestions for naan, rice etc? I usually just buy my naans from Asda then toast em and have those.

Naan bread is best done fresh in the clay oven, but you would have to go to get a collection/delivery for that at your local takeaway.

Surely the naan bread is too big for a toaster?? (or do you mean oven :ninja: )

My mum does rice herself, (pilau rice) and she uses basmati grain of rice. She says that other grains of rice don't work as well as Basmati. (tilda basmati is the best imo)
I do actually mean the toaster. I freeze them in bulk, take a packet out and smash it against the corner of the fridge then put the pieces (usually halves after smashing but can sometimes break into several smaller pieces) into the toaster.

Is it just a case of buying that rice and boiling, i.e. adding nothing to it?
Reply 79
Making one this weekend as Saturday is curry and football day at Little Towers.

Will be following Meenu's blender tip.

Chop the onions as normal then blend without frying with the spices? Then add to the ghee once it's heated?

I don't use Ghee, I just use oil. Chop the onions, put everything else (ginger, garlic, tomatoes and anything else) into the blender to make it into a paste.

Is it just a case of buying that rice and boiling, i.e. adding nothing to it?

Leave the rice in water if you can before, but yeah, pretty much.
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest