The Student Room Group

TSR Curry Society

Society here: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/group.php?groupid=2566

Me and James A discussed getting one going. Any other forumistas a fan of curry? What's your favourite? Do you like hot curries or are you a wimp and stick to kormas?

Post anything in here from recommendations to recipes (I will personally rep every recipe posted in here).

Spoiler

Discussed curry with some of you before, others I've just quoted as you seem like you like curry.

Thanks.
(edited 10 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Most of the curries made in the UK are not really authentic, they thin the taste and it becomes far too bland for me personally (from experience anyway), presumably they change the recipes as they are catering to non-Indians. My mum is quite keen on Indian food and knows how make a really spicy curry, and that's how I've grown up to make my own as well I guess. I find that mild or "creamy" curries lose a lot of the flavor so its pointless

homemade > takeaway
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 2
That last sentence sounded quite funny :tongue:

Rep to this, curry is the bomb. Although the greatest takeaway in my area changed hands recently and it's awful now, i'm sure it's from a packet. Used to do unbelievable dhansak :coma:
Original post by little_tom
lol

will edit

:confused:
Original post by Wilfred Little
:confused:

I've edited :wink:
Reply 5
I have a slow cooker, looking to cook some decent biryanis soon.
Can't stand kormas, never found a dish too spicy yet though. I adore a good curry :awesome:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
I can't handle spicy food so always go for a korma or something else really mild :ashamed2:
Original post by little_tom
I've edited :wink:

:wink:

Most of the curries made in the UK are not really authentic, they thin the taste and render it bland, presumably the locals aren't good at handling proper curry or they are catering to non-Indians so change the recipes. My mum is quite keen on Indian food and knows how make a really spicy curry, and that's how I've grown up to make my own as well I guess. I find that mild or "creamy" curries lose a lot of the flavor so its pointless

homemade > takeaway

I don't know. Had some brilliant ones here. I think I would agree if I had a proper home made one and not just some chicken breast and chopped onion fried with tinned tomatoes and Patak's curry paste thrown in.

Got any recipes?
Original post by Precious Illusions
I can't handle spicy food so always go for a korma or something else really mild :ashamed2:

Pfft, wimp.

Spoiler

Pfft, wimp.

Spoiler

I find madras mild-medium?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11
Pfft, wimp.

Spoiler

Haha I'm the same :colondollar: My brother had a phall once, which is considered hotter than a Vindaloo I think? That was a pleasant evening :colonhash:
Reply 12
I've never eaten any curry apart from one which is home-made. One tip which I always give is use a hand blender to do the onions and the spices.
Original post by Obiejess
I find madras mild-medium?

They must have just overdone the heat or something, I'm usually good with spice but this was a little too hot. Either that or it wasn't even a madras and I've confused myself.
Reply 14
I love making curries at home. Tonight I made lamb korma with some extra hot chilies thrown in - birds eye and scotch bonnet - with coconut pilau rice.
Reply 15
Pfft, wimp.

Spoiler

Vindaloo is hotter than Madras IMO. That said, I went to a restaurant once which had a Madras which had my friend in tears, even though he loves spicy foods, whilst the Vindaloo was pretty tame in comparison.
Reply 16
All white people should taste futki shira

Posted from TSR Mobile
Lol! I love this! I'm Asian, my mum's curries are soooo....

And I learnt to cook like her! :ahee:

Curries are the easiest foods to make. I find making curry easier than making something like pie or baking a cake.

The most basic recipe for any curry is a couple of onions, a bit of oil and some spices, and once you've got all of these cooked together, you can then add your other ingredients. The part where many people go wrong in cooking curry is not adding enough onions or spices or combining the wrong spices or combining the right spices with the wrong herbs (and vice versa) -- I once made a spinach curry and my mum added mint leaves for some strange reason. The entire curry went in the bin. :unimpressed:

Weird combinations make the best curries! My sisters and I have been going through a white radish/carrot/egg curry phase where the only spice used is turmeric. It's like the easiest curry in the world to make where all you have to do is cook the onions in oil, add turmeric and then add the grated carrot and radish and the salt. When all of that is cooked, crack a few eggs, mix it and there's your curry. :biggrin: Also, adding boiled egg into a lamb or chicken curry is another strange combination which taste so god damn amazing!

Because my parents are your [slightly] traditional second gen Asians we have curry cooked every day but I rarely eat the stuff. When I do eat it I like it to have so much chili that it hurts to eat. :ahee: For anyone who likes chili and lives near an Asian grocery shop, I highly, HIGHLY recommend buying Mr Naga! It's a pickle which you could use in curry. It goes really well with/in lamb/chicken curries! A little goes a long way with this stuff. A few years ago I attempted becoming a vegetarian and lasted for a good 3 months until I bought this. :colondollar:
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Kiss
Vindaloo is hotter than Madras IMO. That said, I went to a restaurant once which had a Madras which had my friend in tears, even though he loves spicy foods, whilst the Vindaloo was pretty tame in comparison.

Yeah heard the same regarding vindaloos which is why I'll still probably gamble and eat one, and I'm usually good with heat, can eat Mexican food until I explode.
Reply 19
I like ones that are medium and tomatoey, Balti, Madras etc.

Quick Reply

Latest