The Student Room Group

alternatives to medicine

What university degrees can I do with a levels in maths, biology, chemistry and history?

I'm just thinking of alternatives to Medicine if I don't get in! Sorry if this thread is in the wrong place

Thankyou! 😊

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1
Would you still be looking for a clinical/health career? or is your main motivation for Med, love for Biology and Chemistry?

There are plenty of allied health professions you could get involved in - Nursing, Midwifery, Optometry, Pharmacy are typical ones then you also have Physiotherapy and Occupational Therapy - there are plenty of options and I've not mentioned all of them - a big list can be found on the NHS website if you type in 'NHS Careers'

Otherwise you could do something like Biomedical Science - I would advise you to check out university websites and have a look at this course and other similar courses such as Biochemistry! It would probably be wise to check out modules offered by both these courses and see whether you're interested in them :smile:

Others might be able to shed further light on your options but I can assure you that you have a multitude of degree options if Medicine doesn't quite work out - best of luck though! :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by Hero-H
Would you still be looking for a clinical/health career? or is your main motivation for Med, love for Biology and Chemistry?

There are plenty of allied health professions you could get involved in - Nursing, Midwifery, Optometry, Pharmacy are typical ones then you also have Physiotherapy and Occupational Therapy - there are plenty of options and I've not mentioned all of them - a big list can be found on the NHS website if you type in 'NHS Careers'

Otherwise you could do something like Biomedical Science - I would advise you to check out university websites and have a look at this course and other similar courses such as Biochemistry! It would probably be wise to check out modules offered by both these courses and see whether you're interested in them :smile:

Others might be able to shed further light on your options but I can assure you that you have a multitude of degree options if Medicine doesn't quite work out - best of luck though! :smile:

Wow that was so helpful! My main motivation is for Med but if that doesn't work out, I still like the idea of a health career! I will look on the NHS careers website as well! Thankyou for all your advice 😊

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by gemmaxx
Wow that was so helpful! My main motivation is for Med but if that doesn't work out, I still like the idea of a health career! I will look on the NHS careers website as well! Thankyou for all your advice 😊

Posted from TSR Mobile

Haha no problem Gemma - best of luck! :smile:
If you're interested in an alternative career within a health care setting then I would suggesting perhaps looking into nursing or paramedical science.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending