The Student Room Group

I command you to grow

Yep another gym blog. Been gyming since around November so still pretty new. Right now I'm bulking until mid-late February.

Stats:
Age - 20
Height - 5ft7
Weight - 78kg

Goals:
- 100kg for reps on the bench
- 140kg for reps on deads
- 150kg for reps on squats

Current PB's:
Barbell curl - 30kg
Deadlift - 80kg (17/01/2014)
OHP - 35kg
Bench - 80kg (10/01/2014)
Squat - 120kg (11/012014)

And now for some motivation :wink:

(edited 10 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Those are some disparate lifts. Your squat and bench are really strong compared to your OHP and DLs! That's some really good progress though! I'm still a noob as well. Looking forward to your updates!

lol CT Fletcher is crazy as ****.
Original post by Hype en Ecosse
Those are some disparate lifts. Your squat and bench are really strong compared to your OHP and DLs! That's some really good progress though! I'm still a noob as well. Looking forward to your updates!

lol CT Fletcher is crazy as ****.

I think I can go a lot heavier on my OHP, I'll try on my next shoulder day. Today I done shoulders but used dumbells, the 14kgs and I didn't wanna have to wait around for heavier weights. My deads are pretty bad though lol, I guess I've got a weak lower back. Yesterday I done 80kg but it was only 1 rep, I only count it as a PB when I can do atleast 3 reps.
Original post by Entrepreneur123
I think I can go a lot heavier on my OHP, I'll try on my next shoulder day. Today I done shoulders but used dumbells, the 14kgs and I didn't wanna have to wait around for heavier weights. My deads are pretty bad though lol, I guess I've got a weak lower back. Yesterday I done 80kg but it was only 1 rep, I only count it as a PB when I can do atleast 3 reps.

Only managing a single's still a weight PB at least. I don't really think of what I'm doing as PBs though since I'm still riding that linear gains train.

Programme?
Only managing a single's still a weight PB at least. I don't really think of what I'm doing as PBs though since I'm still riding that linear gains train.

Programme?

How long have you been gyming?

Not really following a set programme. I was doing All Pro's before but it takes hella long to progress on that, and a lot of the time I came out the gym feeling fresh. Now I'm just doing a basic split programme. So I have a shoulder day, an arms day, a back day, a chest day and a legs day. I incorporate abs whenever I have time/when I feel like they have recovered from the last workout.
Reply 5
Congrats OP hopefully you stick with it. I just find it weird that your deadlift is the same as your bench My deadlift max is about 50 kilos heavier maybe even more.
Reply 6
Yep another gym blog. Been gyming since around November so still pretty new. Right now I'm bulking until mid-late February.

Current PB's:
Barbell curl - 25kg
Deadlift - 70kg
OHP - 35kg
Bench - 70kg
Squat - 100kg

And now for some motivation :wink:

You've only been going to the gym since November but you can bench 70kg? Is that 3 rep max? And what is your bodyweight? That makes me feel demotivated as **** cos I've been gyming two months longer than you and my bench is nearly 30kg less haha

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by fuze-mo25
Congrats OP hopefully you stick with it. I just find it weird that your deadlift is the same as your bench My deadlift max is about 50 kilos heavier maybe even more.

Yeah thanks. My deadlift is pretty bad compared to the rest of my lifts, I don't think it's down to bad form or anything. I had one of the gym guys critique my form and he said there wasn't much wrong with it. I have always had a weak lower back though, guess I just gotta work extra hard on it.

Original post by JimmyGatz
You've only been going to the gym since November but you can bench 70kg? Is that 3 rep max? And what is your bodyweight? That makes me feel demotivated as **** cos I've been gyming two months longer than you and my bench is nearly 30kg less haha

Posted from TSR Mobile

It was like 5/6 reps, I can't remember exactly. It was a couple of weeks ago. I don't know my bodyweight exactly, I can find out tomorrow in the gym but I'm guessing it's around the 12st mark. If you've been gyming that long I'm pretty sure you can bench higher. Just put on an extra 2.5-5kg every time you bench and push yourself
How long have you been gyming?

Not really following a set programme. I was doing All Pro's before but it takes hella long to progress on that, and a lot of the time I came out the gym feeling fresh. Now I'm just doing a basic split programme. So I have a shoulder day, an arms day, a back day, a chest day and a legs day. I incorporate abs whenever I have time/when I feel like they have recovered from the last workout.

Since September, but I'm just back from a 3-4 week break after my training went to **** after exams. All my lifts have suffered. :tongue:

Not think you'd see better gains if you got on a set programme rather than winging a split? Especially when your lower back's weak.

Original post by JimmyGatz

That's the wrong way to look at it brah. Find motivation in his 70kg. That's your 70kg. You're on your way there.
Reply 9
I've always had problems with my OHP and shoulder press (dumbells) in general, very weak shoulders I guess,

never had a problem with legs though but I've always had natually big legs, so maybe genetics plays a part lol.

pretty good squat and bench for a beginner! congrats!
Since September, but I'm just back from a 3-4 week break after my training went to **** after exams. All my lifts have suffered. :tongue:

Not think you'd see better gains if you got on a set programme rather than winging a split? Especially when your lower back's weak.

That's the wrong way to look at it brah. Find motivation in his 70kg. That's your 70kg. You're on your way there.

Nah, tried full body and my body wasn't getting hit hard enough. The next day I'd wake up feeling fresh. Doing splits makes me work a lot harder, and I usually feel is for a few days after.

Today worked on arms:
Hammer curls - 12/14 kg
Bicep Curls - 12/14kg
Preacher curl with EZ bar - 30kg
Cable curls with twist at the top (not sure of the exact name) - 20kg

Cable tricep extentions with twist at the bottom - 22.5kg
Overhead cable tricep extention - 12.5kg
Skull crushers - 28.75kg
Close grip dumbbell press - 14kg

Finished off with some close palmed pushups

Done most of my sets to exhaustion. On the cable exercises I done pyramid sets, I can feel the burn.

Goals:
- 100kg for reps on the bench

"Nothin sounds sweater than a pair of 45s slappin together!"
Reply 12
Original post by Scoobiedoobiedo
"Nothin sounds sweater than a pair of 45s slappin together!"

olympic bar 20+45s? not even alpha gym has 45 plates, but thats 110 lol
Original post by KingGym
olympic bar 20+45s? not even alpha gym has 45 plates, but thats 110 lol

It's a CT Fletcher quote. 20kg plates are 45lbs, pair of them each side = 100kg bench.

Rep it out and they slap together; nothing sounds sweater :colone:
Reply 14
Original post by Scoobiedoobiedo
It's a CT Fletcher quote. 20kg plates are 45lbs, pair of them each side = 100kg bench.

Rep it out and they slap together; nothing sounds sweater :colone:

My b, CT is too alpha
Original post by KingGym
My b, CT is too alpha

Ain't that the truth.
Reply 16

70kg by June is my goal. Not sure how realistic that is!

Posted from TSR Mobile
CT is just that guy
in
Wanted to work solely on chest today but I was with a friend and he wanted to do his arms as well so we compromised and done chest and triceps today.

Flat bench:
40x15
60x10
70x7
75x6
80x3(PB)
60x9

Inline dumbbell press:
20x6, stopped after this cos my shoulder was hurting..

Low cable crossover:
8.75x10
11.5x8
8.75x8

Tripcep pushdowns with rope attachment to exhaustion everytime. From 33kg where I could barely do 1 rep down to 6.75kg. No rest inbetween sets either.

Really impressed with the bench today. I've done 80 before but this hench guy was spotting me and when I asked him if he helped me he was all like 'nah that was all you bro!' etc etc. I tried it again another time with a friend and I couldn't do one rep lol, so today really impressed but my last rep I was being helped by my spot I suspect. Wanted to hit my chest some more, incline specifically but my shoulder was hurting and didn't wanna mess it up so stopped. Triceps are sore as hell, overall a good workout.

Quick Reply

Latest