The Student Room Group

Will I get a 2:1?

I am in my 4th year of study, 2nd year counts for 20% and 4th for 80%. 3rd year was my year abroad. Second year I really messed up, I had an undiagnosed medical condition and it is practically too late now for me to get any sort of extenuating circumstances for it. In my second year I averaged 54. I completed an essay that is 13.3% of my 4th year, for which I got 61, but 5 marks deducted for late submission so 56, ( I stupidly thought that my illness was not enough to get extenuating circumstances but now I definitely think it is - so I applied late for extenuating circumstances but from the reply I got even with medical evidence it will not help this mark.) I have gotten to the stage where I don't care how low the 2:1 is as long as it is a 2:1, what would I need to average for the rest of the year? I am TERRIBLE at maths and can't seem to work it out!!

Thanks.
Reply 1
54*20% = 10.8
56*13.3% = 6.328
this is what you've already done, weighted so it's expressed in terms of your final score

10.8+6.328 = 17.128
60-17.128 = 42.872
this is what you have still left to score to achieve 60 overall, but we need to "unweight" it

42.872/66.7% = 64.308%
this is what it is in raw score after "unweighting"

(You could average a couple of % less if you want to scrape in on charity and getting rounded up from 58 or something like that. Usually there is a stipulation such as the majority of your credits (weighted modules, essentially) must have been in the higher grade boundary. Extenuating circumstances would probably prioritise you for such special treatment.)
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by nottspolitics
I am in my 4th year of study, 2nd year counts for 20% and 4th for 80%. 3rd year was my year abroad. Second year I really messed up, I had an undiagnosed medical condition and it is practically too late now for me to get any sort of extenuating circumstances for it. In my second year I averaged 54. I completed an essay that is 13.3% of my 4th year, for which I got 61, but 5 marks deducted for late submission so 56, ( I stupidly thought that my illness was not enough to get extenuating circumstances but now I definitely think it is - so I applied late for extenuating circumstances but from the reply I got even with medical evidence it will not help this mark.) I have gotten to the stage where I don't care how low the 2:1 is as long as it is a 2:1, what would I need to average for the rest of the year? I am TERRIBLE at maths and can't seem to work it out!!

Thanks.

The 4th year essay.....was it 13.3% of your 4th year mark OR 13.3% of your total degree?
Reply 3
Original post by DoctorInTraining
The 4th year essay.....was it 13.3% of your 4th year mark OR 13.3% of your total degree?

Of the total degree :frown: Thanks
Of the total degree :frown: Thanks

Ok so the answer above - 64.3% appears to be correct!

You can do this!
Reply 5
Original post by scrotgrot
54*20% = 10.8
56*13.3% = 6.328
this is what you've already done, weighted so it's expressed in terms of your final score

10.8+6.328 = 17.128
60-17.128 = 42.872
this is what you have still left to score to achieve 60 overall, but we need to "unweight" it

42.872/66.7% = 64.308%
this is what it is in raw score after "unweighting"

(You could average a couple of % less if you want to scrape in on charity and getting rounded up from 58 or something like that. Usually there is a stipulation such as the majority of your credits (weighted modules, essentially) must have been in the higher grade boundary. Extenuating circumstances would probably prioritise you for such special treatment.)

Thanks!!!
Reply 6
Original post by DoctorInTraining
Ok so the answer above - 64.3% appears to be correct!

You can do this!

Thanks!!
Reply 7

Thanks.

Don't be afraid to seek help from your tutors as to how to improve your marks as well.

Quick Reply

Latest