The Student Room Group
On campus at the University of Southampton
University of Southampton
Southampton
Visit website

PGCE Secondary 2014

Hey!
Anyone else applying for PGCE secondary for September 2014 entry?
I've got my interview next week, very nervous!

Ratchit :redface:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I have one interview this week and 2 next week for pgce secondary in biology

Posted from TSR Mobile
On campus at the University of Southampton
University of Southampton
Southampton
Visit website
Original post by Ratchit99
Hey!
Anyone else applying for PGCE secondary for September 2014 entry?
I've got my interview next week, very nervous!

Ratchit :redface:

Original post by Umme
I have one interview this week and 2 next week for pgce secondary in biology

Are we eligible for the government bursaries? If so do you know how they are paid?
Reply 3
It depends on what subject your doing and what degree you got. I'm applying for biology so I would be eligible for a bursary.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Yeah, and as far as im aware, the university sort the bursaries for us, we just have to sort out our student loan. You get all the info in your offer pack :smile:
Yeah, and as far as im aware, the university sort the bursaries for us, we just have to sort out our student loan. You get all the info in your offer pack :smile:

I'll take another look now at the form. Im doing ICT/Computer Science, the same as yourself, so I suspect we should both be entitled to them.

Original post by Umme
It depends on what subject your doing and what degree you got. I'm applying for biology so I would be eligible for a bursary.

Nice. All in the area of science here then. :smile:
Reply 6
Awesome, yeah. Obviously it's based on your degree mark but we should all get in the same region
Reply 7
Yep :smile:. How did your interview go by the way? And which universities have you applied too?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Interview went well thanks, not anywhere near as bad as I expected. I only applied to Southampton, mainly because my husband (as of July) and I own a house here, so I did Southampton and then two School direct places.
Just developing a headache practicing for my numeracy QTS at the moment, wonderful way to spend a sunday afternoon!
Reply 9
Interview went well thanks, not anywhere near as bad as I expected. I only applied to Southampton, mainly because my husband (as of July) and I own a house here, so I did Southampton and then two School direct places.
Just developing a headache practicing for my numeracy QTS at the moment, wonderful way to spend a sunday afternoon!

Oh ok that's good to hear. I have two next week. Nervous about them as one i have to do a 15 min presentation in. I did the qts tests last week. They were harder than i expected but if uve practiced enough u will be fine. The on-screen weren't bad but the mental arithmetic were slightly tricky.
Reply 10
Good to know. I'm not finding the mental arithmetic too hard now I'm figuring out the tactics for short cuts, but bearing in mind I sat math gcse in 2001, it's been a while since I've had to do that kind of test!
Got my literacy this week after work then my numeracy the week after, so I have a week and a half to practice!
Reply 11
Passed my literacy last night (yay!), now just to do my numeracy next week and that's all of that signed off!
Reply 12
Thats great! Good luck :yes:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 13
Original post by Umme
Thats great! Good luck :yes:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks Hun :smile: All sorted and passed and got my DBS certificate through so just waiting for med form to come through and all sorted :smile:
Wasn't sure whether we need to tell the dept when you pass qts so emailed them just in case!
Thanks Hun :smile: All sorted and passed and got my DBS certificate through so just waiting for med form to come through and all sorted :smile:
Wasn't sure whether we need to tell the dept when you pass qts so emailed them just in case!

I scanned mine and sent them via email. I've also got my DBS through.

I dont know what im going to do about accommodation yet. Need to find someone to rent with.
Reply 15
Cool, almost there. No idea when we hear about the medical!
Not sure what to advise over accom, when I first moved to the area Winchester uni gave me a list of landlords offering lodgings so I did that as didn't know anyone in the area, I guess you could check whether Southampton do the same? Otherwise find a flat or gumtree might be your way forward?
I wish I could help but we only have the one spare room and it's used quite a lot for visitors so we generally need it available!
Are you coming down for the thing in June? You could maybe have a look around then or go to the accommodation office?
Cool, almost there. No idea when we hear about the medical!

Same here. I guess we'll just have to wait it out. Have you sent your DBS off or have you just held onto it for now?

Not sure what to advise over accom, when I first moved to the area Winchester uni gave me a list of landlords offering lodgings so I did that as didn't know anyone in the area, I guess you could check whether Southampton do the same? Otherwise find a flat or gumtree might be your way forward?

Yeah im going to look on RightMove I think for a flat in the central Southampton area.

I wish I could help but we only have the one spare room and it's used quite a lot for visitors so we generally need it available!

Ah thats no trouble. Nice that you even thought of it! You're going to make a terrific teacher with a thoughtful and caring outlook like that. :smile:

Are you coming down for the thing in June? You could maybe have a look around then or go to the accommodation office?

Yeah I should be down for the thing in June :smile: I will have a look around then but i'll either try for halls for the 1 year and drive to the school or get a private flat or apartment somewhere. Wouldn't mind living with someone else or alone.
Reply 17
Do we need to send them the DBS? I figured since they were listed as the supporter that they'd know it had all come through! Doh! lol
Also thanks Hun, but just a human being!! Lol, had a day in a local school last week which was awesome as got to just hang out in it lessons and see what they're up to these days!
Yeah I've been trying to figure out parking near the uni as I have a slight thing about riding on busses so would prefer not to sit on one for half an hour to get across town! Lol.
Reply 18
Original post by Raylan Givens
Same here. I guess we'll just have to wait it out. Have you sent your DBS off or have you just held onto it for now?

Yeah.....further to my DBS certificate..I went to dig it out last night to post to the uni and its suffered a slight kitten related incident relating to water. The majority is ok but some of the ink is blurred so not quite sure what needs to be done now :s
I've emailed the uni and DBS so hopefully someone will advise whether it's still usable or whether I need to do another one!
I love my kitten but *sigh*.....
Yeah.....further to my DBS certificate..I went to dig it out last night to post to the uni and its suffered a slight kitten related incident relating to water. The majority is ok but some of the ink is blurred so not quite sure what needs to be done now :s
I've emailed the uni and DBS so hopefully someone will advise whether it's still usable or whether I need to do another one!
I love my kitten but *sigh*.....

Hey, sorry, I've been really busy the last week with dissertation work which has sort of taken over my life.

Thanks for your response. Im sorry to hear about the damage to your DBS certificate and hope you get it sorted ASAP.

I've spoke to the university and they've told me that I've got to send it to them as well so I need to get that done sooner rather than later.

What did the university say in regards to you contacting them?

Also, thank you for the friend request :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending