Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

European food

Announcements Posted on
Post on TSR and win a prize! Find out more... 10-04-2014
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Okay so I've just come back from Paris and everything was a dream- the weather, the landmarks, the art....but not the food.
    In fact, I wonder how people ever manage to eat French food let alone pay sky high prices to scoop goo out of the shell of a garden pest and call it a delicacy...
    The only thing I find worth commending is la baguette.
    Any opinions on this matter? I seem to be one of very few who dislike European food. *note* The pizza does not count :p:
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I love Spanish food, Italian food, Greek food. Some of French is OK
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I didn't like French food either.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    i love snails other than that, apart from the obvious things like cheese and bread i probably havent eaten much specifically french food; european wise though, swiss food is delicious, as is real italian food (in italy, not in a british italian chain restaurant). Polish food is tasty as well.

I think we suffer from eating different countries 'versions' of staple food. Go to places renound for their food and you'll amost certainly find something you like. European food can be a total experience.... (a good one, obviously....)
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    I love it all. German food is better left at sausages. I can't eat the potato dumpling things. And the meat is questionable.
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    French food is OK if you like a lot of garlic! I like it in a way, but I prefer Spanish or Italian cuisine. I haven't tried that much Greek, but I don't like mousakka, that's for sure! Some of the cuisine of Eastern Europe, is ... well, interesting!
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    Italian food > French food.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NDGAARONDI)
    Italian food > French food.
    Agreed. But Spanish is underrated.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by naivesincerity)
    Agreed. But Spanish is underrated.
    It is. And we all know the French cuisine is overrated.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    It is. And we all know the French cuisine is overrated.
    Yep.

But Piella, Tortillas, Empanadas?(those little meat parcels) Cerveza beer, Tapas

mmmmm

Mexican is good too
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    But Piella, Tortillas, Empanadas?(those little meat parcels) Cerveza beer, Tapas
    Paella is Spanish, Tortillas are Mexican and Empanadas, though thought to originate from Galicia in Spain, are often associated with the South Americas and Tapas is certainly Spanish though. So it's not all Spanish there. :p:
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Tortillas are Mexican
    As in those potato omelettes? I swear they're Spanish.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    As in those potato omelettes? I swear they're Spanish.
    Looks like we have one word to mean two different foods in Spain and in Mexico. :eek: I was thinking more of the bread type.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tortilla :p:
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Ahhh..good research
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    I've always known Tortillas to be Mexican.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Yeah Mexican is great...can't seem to go wrong with it.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    French is sometimes OK but usually awful. Very overrated

In order of preference:
    Greek, Italian, Spanish, British, French

I would try to place German somewhere but apart from sausage, I have never tried German food.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shyopstv)
    French is sometimes OK but usually awful. Very overrated

In order of preference:

I would try to place German somewhere but apart from sausage, I have never tried German food.
    British>French!?!?

I'll have some of what you're smoking please.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    YOU WHAT?!
    British over French? What exactly do you like about BRITISH cooking? Shepherd's Pie? Spotted dick (that still makes me laugh, god i'm immature :p:)? I think maybe some of you are confused over what French cooking is. This is what French cooking means to me:
    An aperitif. Then perhaps a light starter (tomatoes in dressing or something). A meat course (perfectly cooked naturally ) perhaps a leg of lamb with some potatoes and beans (or the vegetables as a separate course). Then a dessert that is just the right size, perfectly presented and made with skill!
    The old style was to have all the courses separately (vegetables apart from meat etc) but now it's more common to have aperitif, entree, plat principal, dessert et fromage.

Now let's compare British food. What would a standard British menu be?
    Starter? Probably not. Main course? Boiled meat served with overcooked vegetables - the whole plate drenched in something really strong-tasting to make it more palatable. Cooking meat and vegetables WELL is something that we've learnt from other cultures. Even during the middle ages, posh Brits ate French food. Ah, well not much has changed there then.

Pretty much everything good about British cooking is stolen from somewhere else. I don't want to say that modern British chefs aren't good - they are probably amongst the best in the world. But you just can't compare BRITISH FOOD to French food.

(rant ends here)
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    To summarise your post, if it is cooked well it is French and if it is cooked crappily (is that a word?) it is British.

Does a pizza stop being Italian when you burn it?

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By completing the slider below you agree to The Student Room's terms & conditions and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

You don't slide that way? No problem.

Updated: July 20, 2006
Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.