The Student Room Group

Qatar 2022 World Cup will not be held in the summer

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/25653594

The 2022 World Cup in Qatar will not be held in the summer, according to Fifa general secretary Jerome Valcke.
The scheduling of the tournament has been debated since it was controversially awarded to Qatar in December 2010.
Fears have been raised that the summer heat in the Gulf emirate would be dangerous for players and fans alike.

"The dates for the World Cup (in Qatar) will not be June-July," Valcke told Radio France.
"To be honest, I think it will be held between 15 November 15 and 15 January at the latest.
"If you play between 15 November and the end of December that's the time when the weather conditions are best, when you can play in temperatures equivalent to a warm spring season in Europe, averaging 25 degrees.
"That would be perfect for playing football."
(edited 10 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/25653594

The 2022 World Cup in Qatar will not be held in the summer, according to Fifa general secretary Jerome Valcke.

The scheduling of the tournament has been debated since it was controversially awarded to Qatar in December 2010.

Fears have been raised that the summer heat in the Gulf emirate would be dangerous for players and fans alike.

"The dates for the World Cup (in Qatar) will not be June-July," Valcke told Radio France.

"To be honest, I think it will be held between 15 November and 15 January at the latest.

"If you play between 15 November and the end of December that's the time when the weather conditions are best, when you can play in temperatures equivalent to a warm spring season in Europe, averaging 25 degrees.

"That would be perfect for playing football."

Hardly a surprise, it wasn't going to happen in 40C

Thoughts?
Hope it's boycotted tbh. Beyond a joke for so many reasons, not least because it's going to **** up every major European league for at least 5 seasons.

Imagine a Christmas with no football too :no:
I hope its somewhere i can grab a beer
Original post by sr90
Hope it's boycotted tbh. Beyond a joke for so many reasons, not least because it's going to **** up every major European league for at least 5 seasons.

But the world cup will be on at Christmas. :confused:
Reply 5
Original post by sr90

No it won't mess up with European season at all. It's easy to work around it. Just start the season a few weeks earlier and end in June. People need to stop with this baseless hyperbolic rhetoric. And football isn't just a European sport FYI. The funny thing about all this is that World Cup has been moved because of EUROPEANS.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by 419
No it won't mess up with European season at all. It's easy to work around it. Just start the season a few weeks earlier and end in June. People need to stop with this baseless hyperbolic rhetoric. And football isn't just a European sport FYI. The funny thing about all this is that World Cup has been moved because of EUROPEANS.
Posted from TSR Mobile

I think the argument is that it isn't exactly a Qatari sport either.
Doesn't sound appealing at all... World Cup is usually one of the best things to happen to football, everyone is used to seeing it end in summer and being able to talk about it in schools and colleges saying "our country won! yay" but now its going to happen then!? That's just sad, it is going to mess up the league systems in pretty much every country... if they're that concerned why not just find out a way to stop the heat getting in the stadiums?? :s-smilie:
Reply 8
Original post by mikeyd85
I think the argument is that it isn't exactly a Qatari sport either.

Huh?

Who's been making that argument?

Posted from TSR Mobile
meh, I disagree with it going to the country in the first place..

But if it is going to go there, best be in winter..

I mean, I want to see quality football, and that is not really going to happen in the summer there, unless they have indoor stadiums.. so.. - winter it is..

Im sure other leagues will work around it, and the WC over christmas does not sound so bad..

-- though as said, in my eyes it should have never got this far, as their bid should have failed on so many levels..

Though credit to them, for building the vagina stadium...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2509511/Is-I-think-Fans-notice-Qatari-World-Cup-stadium-resembles-female-genitalia.html
Reply 10
How dare a world competition NOT be held at a time suitable for Europeans.
Original post by 419

Posted from TSR Mobile

There are more European nations in the WC than any other continent this year, and I believe that it usually works out that way :holmes:

Also, football in Qatar is clearly the play thing of the oil based billionaires that run the place and are obsessed with western culture. It'll maybe move away from that soon. In any case it's been farcical that they were awarded it, and was clearly done to tick boxes and/or so that someone can get a little richer; nothing has been thought through.

There'll probably be a bit of fuss kicked up by the Premier league and a few others, which will then die down, and it'll all go fine and it will be forgotten about, as will all of the other issues that have followed it. Afterwards one or two teams will claim that they suffered from it more than others, and there will be a few stories of horror due to clashes of culture, but nobody will care.
Remember all the fuss about the winter Olympics because of homophobia? Qatar has:

- Slave labour
- Homophobia
- Racism
- Misleading bid

It's all there. When are people going to kick off about this? The only national sports there are beating your wife and kids.

As for the European argument; football is an English/British/European sport. End of. If these dumps aren't fit to host the tournament then they shouldn't host the tournament. We could host one next week if we wanted, when Brazil has army helicopters landing on the pitch to disperse a riot in the stands just last month (whereas we can't even fart in our stadiums without being criticised by UEFA), slave labour (people being pushed so hard they've died of heart attacks), stadiums collapsing and 6 stadiums still not finished with 6 months to go, that tells me you are not ready.

Qatar should not have even been eligible to bid, due to an unfortunate quirk of nature, it is not suitable to play football in the summer in your country; forget rubbish like this: 'How dare a world competition NOT be held at a time suitable for Europeans', they actually had the dates they were planning to play the games included in their World Cup bid. They have now had to move it, so their bid was won under false pretences and void.

I hope clubs refuse to send players out for this. **** this.
It's ridiculous it's being held there at all. Bribery and corruption is the only reasonable explanation.
It will certainly be different having a World Cup during the winter but there is plenty of time for the European leagues and FIFA to agree on all the logistics.

Then again, FIFA should have realised this would happen and taken it heavily into consideration before choosing Qatar. I wonder if any other 2022 bidders will be aggrieved seeing as the goalposts (pardon the pun) have been moved to stage the competition.
Original post by Wilfred Little
Remember all the fuss about the winter Olympics because of homophobia? Qatar has:

- Slave labour
- Homophobia
- Racism
- Misleading bid

It's all there. When are people going to kick off about this? The only national sports there are beating your wife and kids.

As for the European argument; football is an English/British/European sport. End of. If these dumps aren't fit to host the tournament then they shouldn't host the tournament. We could host one next week if we wanted, when Brazil has army helicopters landing on the pitch to disperse a riot in the stands just last month (whereas we can't even fart in our stadiums without being criticised by UEFA), slave labour (people being pushed so hard they've died of heart attacks), stadiums collapsing and 6 stadiums still not finished with 6 months to go, that tells me you are not ready.

Qatar should not have even been eligible to bid, due to an unfortunate quirk of nature, it is not suitable to play football in the summer in your country; forget rubbish like this: 'How dare a world competition NOT be held at a time suitable for Europeans', they actually had the dates they were planning to play the games included in their World Cup bid. They have now had to move it, so their bid was won under false pretences and void.

I hope clubs refuse to send players out for this. **** this.

its to early.. people will only kick off nearer the time..

Like with russia, nobody cared 8 years before (as it is to qatar) but when it gets to within a year, people start to take notice..

Only problem is by then its to late to do anything about it..
Reply 16
Only way I can see FIFA reconsidering on this mess is if they get sued, don't think the respective FAs will have the balls to stand up to or boycott it. There probably is grounds for the other host nation candidates to take legal action, and if not them TV companies, particularly American ones like FOX almost certainly have a case seeing as they bought the rights under the pretence of it being held in the summer, a winter World Cup will clash with NFL playoffs/superbowl etc.

Several multimillion dollar, high profile lawsuits should do the trick seeing as money is all FIFA care about.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 17
This is a total farce. All of this should have been part of their bid, all of it.
Reply 18
Original post by Nickini
Only way I can see FIFA reconsidering on this mess is if they get sued, don't think the respective FAs will have the balls to stand up to or boycott it. There probably is grounds for the other host nation candidates to take legal action, and if not them TV companies, particularly American ones like FOX almost certainly have a case seeing as they bought the rights under the pretence of it being held in the summer, a winter World Cup will clash with NFL playoffs/superbowl etc.

Several multimillion dollar, high profile lawsuits should do the trick seeing as money is all FIFA care about.

You people are clutching on straws. No one will sue Fifa. Sports schedules are forever clashing. If FOX want to drop it, another channel will just pick it up. Anyways, they're in talk and have probably reached a compromise. Ah COMPROMISE, a word that none of you know of.

Accept it, it's going to happen. If you disapprove, don't tune in to it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 19
The WC is in 2022 so enough time for people to stop moaning about it and put their energy into resolving the issues about the tournament scheduling.

Admittedly if I'm Australia or the other nations and I've bidded on a WC for the summer and it's now moved to winter then I'd be rightly ticked off. But that's the only way the WC could have a re-vote was if the remaining 2022 nations banded together and sued FIFA but doubt that'll happen.

All the issues surrounding Qatar will be improved on because it might actually help focus the world's attention on those problems and force the Qataris to step up and make things better. If there was no WC, any problems would continue but not to say a WC hosting should be justified for political/social change.

WC in 2022 in Qatar will happen - time for the PL to join other organisations in accepting that, being pragmatic and creating a solution.

Quick Reply

Latest