The Student Room Group

Thomas Hitzlsperger, former footballer, reveals he is gay

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/25628806

What do people think? If he did this during is career it may be had more of an impact. Nevertheless, I still believe (with the attitude in football regarding homosexuality as it is) that this is a positive step-he is a well known figure, reasonably popular and supported with a career in several countries and as a result people may well see how they accepted him and his quality (high number of appearances for clubs and country as well as his trademark hammer of a shot:tongue:) and be more tolerant of homosexuality in football and general.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/25628806 for Sepp Blatter, Fifa boss, views on homosexuality.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/jan/02/fa-detestable-gay-slur-equality-board-member

.a member of the FA itself makes the above comments

Scroll to see replies

It's quite frankly ridiculous that footballers feel they cannot come out during their career - such is the shameful treatment they receive from an incredibly vociferous minority of football "fans".
Reply 2
As I said in another thread, it is ridiculous that this makes breaking news. He is a footballer and his sexual orientation should not be breaking news! The same for Tom Daley, Robbie Rodgers etc. Let them just do what they want and praise their exploits as professionals.
Couldn't care less about him, tbh, he was rubbish.

However, I am happy he is comfortable being out.

But it's not headline news.
(edited 10 years ago)
It is a step forward and certainly of symbolic importance to have a (former) Premiership footballer come out as gay.

But I'm not surprised that he waited until just after retirement to come out (the same goes for the Leeds player Robbie Rogers). The abuse he would have received from the terraces would have been nasty, even if it was just limited to a vocal minority of the crowd.
Reply 5
How is this news? This is the 21st Century for crying out loud. If it's still controversial to come out as homosexual, then society is doomed. :frown:
Reply 6
Original post by mikeyd85
It's quite frankly ridiculous that footballers feel they cannot come out during their career - such is the shameful treatment they receive from an incredibly vociferous minority of football "fans".

Hopefully guys like this will help people grow up and realise that gay people are actually just as popular players, are not all too feminine, etc etc rather than the abuse players get now which would make even a neanderthal hang their head in shame.
(eg Sol Campbell and the abusive chants he got despite not even being gay)

If he had done it will playing the issue would have been given more exposure but evidently he knows it wouldn't have been wise for him to do so. A shame, but an understandable descision and he has still been brave to come out now though.
Original post by mikeyd85

That accurately sums up how I feel.
Reply 8
Original post by Bailey8
As I said in another thread, it is ridiculous that this makes breaking news. He is a footballer and his sexual orientation should not be breaking news! The same for Tom Daley, Robbie Rodgers etc. Let them just do what they want and praise their exploits as professionals.

Exactly! How does someone's sexual orientation impact on their sporting ability?
Fair play to him for coming out, shame footballers can't do it during careers. It's also a shame that this is looked down upon by many because of his sexual orientation, yet he deserves - and anyone who comes out as gay - to be treated with respect, it would have taken a lot of courage to come out.
Original post by xForeverx
How is this news? This is the 21st Century for crying out loud. If it's still controversial to come out as homosexual, then society is doomed. :frown:

Football has a particular issue with this, more so than other sports. High profile rugby players have come out during their career: Gareth Thomas who was Wales captain did a few years ago and even back in the 1990s Ian Roberts who was an Australian rugby league player did, and they were generally accepted in rugby.

But in football it is still seen as completely not acceptable in dressing room culture: if a player comes out as gay then they will be shunned by their teammates and it will damage their career. Its because homophobia is so ingrained in football culture, they just can't do it.

Graeme Le Saux who is now a media pundit, talked a lot about this in his autobiography, he wasn't even gay but because he was a bit of an arty intellectual type rather than the usual 'lad' in a dressing room, rumours started in the players circuit that he was gay and he got shunned and bullied at more than one club because of it.

I don't think the real problem is fans chanting stuff, its from within the dressing room that its a problem.

The game will move forward though: in the 1980s people used to throw bananas on the pitch and make monkey chants at black players, this died out in the 1990s. Attitudes do change.
Reply 11
Original post by MagicNMedicine
Football has a particular issue with this, more so than other sports. High profile rugby players have come out during their career: Gareth Thomas who was Wales captain did a few years ago and even back in the 1990s Ian Roberts who was an Australian rugby league player did, and they were generally accepted in rugby.

But in football it is still seen as completely not acceptable in dressing room culture: if a player comes out as gay then they will be shunned by their teammates and it will damage their career. Its because homophobia is so ingrained in football culture, they just can't do it.

Graeme Le Saux who is now a media pundit, talked a lot about this in his autobiography, he wasn't even gay but because he was a bit of an arty intellectual type rather than the usual 'lad' in a dressing room, rumours started in the players circuit that he was gay and he got shunned and bullied at more than one club because of it.

I don't think the real problem is fans chanting stuff, its from within the dressing room that its a problem.

The game will move forward though: in the 1980s people used to throw bananas on the pitch and make monkey chants at black players, this died out in the 1990s. Attitudes do change.

Football seems so backwards! :mad: Is it because only mindless idiots like watching it? :colone: I mean, what other reason could there be for such blatant racism and homophobia but ignorance and stupidity?
Reply 12
why is this shocking? footballers play with balls for a living...
Reply 13
Original post by xForeverx
Football seems so backwards! :mad: Is it because only mindless idiots like watching it? :colone: I mean, what other reason could there be for such blatant racism and homophobia but ignorance and stupidity?

Only someone really stupid and ignorant would generalise that much. Do you have any idea how many people watch football?
Original post by Deshi
Only someone really stupid and ignorant would generalise that much. Do you have any idea how many people watch football?

Ironically this person uses offensive sterotypes yet would not doubt object to offensive sterotypes being used toward homosexuals.:facepalm:
Loved him at Villa.

Just a quick statement, no YouTube video, Twatter announcement and TV appearance like that little attention seeking prick Tom Daley.
Reply 16
Original post by Deshi

True. But come on, how is this level of intolerance still widespread?
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 17
Original post by Mourinho<3
Ironically this person uses offensive sterotypes yet would not doubt object to offensive sterotypes being used toward homosexuals.:facepalm:

lol Victim complex, much? Homophobia is not the same as disliking football fans who are stupid.
Reply 18
I am sick and tired of hearing about gay footballers being 'too scared' to come out because of widespread homophobia. I, nor any of the friends with whom I watch football, could care less if a player is gay.

If a player wants to come out then good on him, but all these campaigns are becoming tiresome and it's almost as if they want to expose gay footballers. If a player is gay and wants to keep it quiet, then let's leave him to it.
I think him coming out AFTER his career is a bonus, because he's built up his reputation and respect already.

It would be easier for homophobic people to dismiss any current achievements because of his sexuality, but I think if they already respect him and think he's fantastic and THEN find out he's gay... I think that will do more to counteract homophobia than if he'd come out whilst still up-and-coming.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending