The Student Room Group

UNIQ/Sutton Trust Summer School 2014

Applications for the UNIQ and Sutton Trust Summer School has opened yesterday and today respectively. Anybody else applying?

I've just sent in the application for Sutton Trust, yet to write a personal statement for UNIQ though :s-smilie:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I'm trying to work up the nerve to apply, even if it's a long shot. Where and what did you apply for?
Reply 2
Original post by edgarcats
I'm trying to work up the nerve to apply, even if it's a long shot. Where and what did you apply for?

Medicine - Cambridge.

What do you have in mind?
Reply 3
Original post by Vodka
Medicine - Cambridge.

What do you have in mind?

English at either Cambridge or UCL, haven't made up my mind completely yet. Have you been on any summer schools before?
Reply 4
Original post by Vodka
Applications for the UNIQ and Sutton Trust Summer School has opened yesterday and today respectively. Anybody else applying?

I've just sent in the application for Sutton Trust, yet to write a personal statement for UNIQ though :s-smilie:

what year are you in? :smile:
Reply 5
I went to the UCL Sutton Trust school for English last year! It was so much fun and I'd definitely recommend applying. :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by edgarcats
English at either Cambridge or UCL, haven't made up my mind completely yet. Have you been on any summer schools before?

Ahh cool, there's plenty of time to decide :smile: Nope I haven't!

Original post by jenigma
what year are you in? :smile:

Year 12 :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by Vodka

Year 12 :smile:

but you're 18? o:
Reply 8
Original post by jenigma
but you're 18? o:

Yes.... Yes I am
Reply 9
is anyone planning to apply for maths? wanted to apply for maths at Cambridge but I can't make the dates :frown:
I'd like to apply for either the Chemistry or Physics course at Cambridge, but I wish they did a broader Natural Sciences course that was similar to the actual degree. I'm waiting to see whether I've got a place on a Headstart course first before I decide which one to go for. :smile:
Reply 11
Is anyone applying for Modern Languages and Linguistics at Cambridge?
Original post by Vodka

Hey there! Going to apply to both of them. I sent my application for Sutton trust yesterday while still working on my personal statement for UNIQ. Applying for Medicine and Psychology in St Andrews. Do you need a referee for your application in UNIQ because I read this somewhere?
Reply 13
Original post by wizard101
Hey there! Going to apply to both of them. I sent my application for Sutton trust yesterday while still working on my personal statement for UNIQ. Applying for Medicine and Psychology in St Andrews. Do you need a referee for your application in UNIQ because I read this somewhere?

You have to give the contact details of someone from your school such as your teacher that would be able to confirm that you achieved the grades once you are selected. I think that's all they need.
Original post by Vodka
You have to give the contact details of someone from your school such as your teacher that would be able to confirm that you achieved the grades once you are selected. I think that's all they need.

Thanks! Good luck on your application :smile:
I'm applying for English at Durham, so nervewracking!
Not sure about UNIQ yet, i doubt i fit the criteria...
Original post by beaux1
is anyone planning to apply for maths? wanted to apply for maths at Cambridge but I can't make the dates :frown:

I applied for maths at Cambridge! I doubt I'll get in though, I don't meet much of the criteria
I applied for Sociology at University of Nottingham

i probably won't get in LOL

gonna apply to PPE at oxford. DOUBT ill get that too but anywho!!!
Can we apply for more than one ?
Reply 19
Just thought I'd pop in here, cos I did UNIQ and Sutton Trust last year. Sutton Trust was at Imperial College for Engineering and UNIQ was for Engineering Sciences and I was at Wadham College (awesome college!). I'm sure you'll get help from the official ST or UNIQ TSR profiles, but I'm here to answer your questions too if you wish!

Both the Summer courses were extremely helpful for me either by giving me a greater insight into engineering/helping us through the application process/helping me decide which universities are right for me and so on. I made loads of friends on these courses with whom I still talk to now!

UNIQ was just a different experience altogether. We lived for a week as if we were Oxford undergrads. The mentors there were excellent - you could literally ask them anything, and the entire programme was awesome (at least for my course anyway).

For Sutton Trust I applied to Imperial because I knew it would be a university that would be first choice in my list and it didn't disappoint. For my course we were challenged thoroughly and it gave me a fair representation of what the university life would be like. Not to mention you get to be with students who are doing different subjects to you so you're not with the same dull people all the time who talk about numbers 24/7.

All in all, great experiences, and even if you don't think you'll get in you should still apply because they will certainly help you with your application, if not, at least give you a better understanding of what the university life has in store for you.

P.S. I ended up using half of the personal statement I wrote for UNIQ, so it gave me a head start!
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply